User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    No. It's just that conservatives care more about the economy than the individual. They don't realize that they are inadvertently restricting freedom because conservatism is naturally power-dependent -- and artificial and primitive, and it by very nature is not suitable (?) for progress to flourish.

http://polaris.gseis.ucla.edu/pagre/conservatism.html
    this kinda made me cringe. thanks for the link.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Anyone seen this rather excellent TED talk? It addresses the issues you guys have raised:
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs41JrnGaxc"]Jonathan Haidt: The real difference between liberals and conservatives[/YOUTUBE]
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by yakimadude View Post
    is Empathy the deciding factor between the 2? does one have more then the other?
    I wonder sometimes what would be considered the average for empathy between both parties sometimes. a separate comparison and then a general comparison.

I noticed liberals tend to emphasis values, like protecting people and things like reciprocity.
    conservatives not so much or to the extend of liberals.
    The conservatives is a class of people who feel their interests are protected by the society.
    Who are the protectors?

The Police.
    The Church.
    The Army.

There is empathy. Lots and lots of it. Never doubt it.
    The empathy is directed towards the policemen, the priests and the generals. Exclusively.
    It is warm, passionate, and not ungenerous.
    Read Lark.

The Conservative thinks:
    These people are on my side. They protect my money, my soul, my patria.
    Respectively.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    The conservatives is a class of people who feel their interests are protected by the society.
    Who are the protectors?

The Police.
    The Church.
    The Army.

There is empathy. Lots and lots of it. Never doubt it.
    The empathy is directed towards the policemen, the priests and the generals. Exclusively.
    It is warm, passionate, and not ungenerous.
    Read Lark.

The Conservative thinks:
    These people are on my side. They protect my money, my soul, my patria.
    Respectively.
    *more cringing* yea I read his stuff, vomited a little.

I dont think you intended to make it humorous but it kinda is and it makes perfect sense.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Anyone seen this rather excellent TED talk? It addresses the issues you guys have raised:
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs41JrnGaxc"]Jonathan Haidt: The real difference between liberals and conservatives[/YOUTUBE]
    thank you for sharing this video

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Is empathy a deciding factor between the two? Absolutely not.

Some Conservatives believe that they're empathetic...usually those are the Christian Conservatives who believe they are protecting family values, unborn children, bringing safety by getting rid of drugs, and upholding traditional America. I understand why so many Southerners are Conservative for this reason - they aren't stupid, they're just traditional Christians. Many of them also probably fear the government because of the government taking private property away from people in the Appalachias for government use in the early 20th century. HOWEVER this is a complex issue where the government cannot be blamed in isolation for this because Big Business like coal companies have stolen their land for profit. But I understand why they'd feel the way they do, from their perspective. They fear that which is not Christian; that which is not tradition; that which might threaten their way of life.

On the other hand, Libertarian Conservatives may believe they are protecting individual rights and personal liberty, so they think they're doing something "nice" by doing that.

But mostly the shitbags who are Conservative Leaders use all of the Christian ethics and stuff to take the focus off of the fact that they favor the rich over the poor; and the rich includes themselves and their friends. They couldn't get the "little people" to follow along if they thought about that too much, so it's imperative that these shitheads who really only care about oil and money pretend to emphasize Old Fashioned Family Values and Creating Jobs.

I'm not going to bother with explaining the Liberal Perspective since so many people here already presume why liberals believe they are empathetic, and the OP is probably liberal from the way he phrased the post.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by yakimadude View Post
    *more cringing* yea I read his stuff, vomited a little.

I dont think you intended to make it humorous but it kinda is and it makes perfect sense.
    Every time you read the little bird, keep an empty bucket available.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

It seems to be more of a T/F issue, and not really what everyone on one side or another prefers, but simply how the arguments are framed.

Conservatives seem to focus more on T concerns like finance and efficiency, while liberals seem to focus more on F concerns like compassion. It doesn't mean either side has a monopoly on those thigns, but again, it is how the rhetoric is framed.

I came to see this when debating with conservatives online, and the frequently claim to go by "the facts", while liberals only go by emotional appeals. Now, I myself am frustrated, because I look at things through a T perspective, but still see the conservatives as wrong on many issues, or at least in the rhetoric, though perhaps making some good points. So I look to liberals, or at least a more neutral party somewhere to make an equally logical counter-argument, but that is extremely far between. The conservatives then capitalize on this, saying "see, they can't, because they simply don't have the 'truth' on their side like we do!"
    I then am almost embarrassed, because I too see the F approach as weak and ineffective compared to tough logic. So ever more frustrated, I feel almost alone in really tackling the issue.

So the conservatives will say "we have to cut spending; there's no money', and the liberals do not address this, but instead insist "we have to help people out; we can't cut aid". Clearly, a T vs F perspective.

The flipside of this is when the liberals' less mature T comes out in the form of using government to impose their "humanitarian" causes, and the conservatives' less mature F in the often inflammatory passion behind their vocal stances.

So I remain torn, because my T can agree that runaway spending cannot be good, and then my inferior F sees that if so many people are against spending, then we should not force it. However my T also sees that if the rich are getting richer, then the blaming of the poor that often goes on in conservative rhetoric is totally off base (and likely a diversionary tactic of those with the economic power). Sso that's why I'm not conservative.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

How surprising, yet another thread where posters are supposed to discuss both conservative liberal values has devolved into unrepentant conservative bashing.

This site has become an ever more insulated echo chamber for liberal group think.

It's no wonder I've continued to find less and less reason to post here as time goes by.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    How surprising, yet another where posters are supposed to discuss both conservative liberal values has devolved into unrepentant conservative bashing.

This site has become an ever more insulated echo chamber for liberal group think.

It's no wonder I've continued to find less and less reason to post here as time goes by.
    Um... There were actually some posts in this thread worth responding to.
    Let's see if you can find and engage them.

(It'll be just like an easter egg hunt!)

Here's a freebie: Eric B's was pretty thoughtful.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft