User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Red face Laziness and Procrastination = GENETIC.

http://www.bio.davidson.edu/courses/.../page%201.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/2048064.stm

Yes, these aren't conclusive, but I think they're the beginning of the truth. Do you agree that laziness and procrastination is genetic?

It's true for me. Both of my biological parents were ESFPs who procrastinated to the point of getting warrants for arrest due to not attending jury duty, hot water with the IRS, refusing to clean the house until it got infested with raccoons (I'm not even kidding - and actually, not even then), etc etc.

But I was raised by a natural, effortless workaholic ENTJ who expected the same from me - but the effortless part never rubbed off on me. When he was my age, he was only too happy to study non-stop. It was always a dreadful duty for me.

I get shit done now, because I've got goals, but I do have to make a conscious effort to NOT procrastinate, unlike xxTJs who never have that problem, because working is actually easy and enjoyable for them.

If you're a lazy procrastinator, do you find it's genetic? Are yoursiblings similar?

P.S. If you actually have to will yourself to NOT procrastinate, I group you with the actual lazy procrastinators, because your natural instinctive desire is to laze around. THe opposite group is the people who are NATURALLY prompt workaholics, effortlessly.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    THe opposite group is the people who are NATURALLY prompt workaholics, effortlessly.
    Isn't this roughly 0.013% of the human population? How many people do you know who have never been tempted to procrastinate?

(yes, TJs also procrastinate, though perhaps there is a matter of degrees at play)
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I really wish I had some sort of the "wanting to work" gene. I like intellectual work, but any kind of labor like cleaning, trimming the bushes, etc. I just can't stand.

I believe near enough everything in life to be a choice. If you really wanted to get something done you'd go ahead and do it. I do not believe it to be genetic.
    Veni, Vidi, Cessi.

MBTI
    INTP

I oscilate between periods of sloth and very heavy activity. Of course at work when I'm not doing much I'm very often doing alot of thinking so I'm probably not as unproductive as it might seem. I am a horrible procrastinator about the mundane and the tedious: I balance my check book about every four or five months and if I'm off by less than $20... meh, close enough. On the other hand my parents were both a bit more "nose to the grind stone" types. I suspect as with so many other behavioral characteristics the real answer is that its a bit of blend of genetics and environment.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by uncommonentity View Post
    I believe near enough everything in life to be a choice. If you really wanted to get something done you'd go ahead and do it. I do not believe it to be genetic.
    Someone got the industrious gene...
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I definitely think it can be easier for one type vs. another to avoid procrastination.
    I, for instance, will do everything in my power to sabotage my own success, including procrastination, making excuses, putting myself down, etc. I seem to get work done in spite of myself, not because of myself. I seem to do well in life because I plow ahead in spite of the fact that I really just want to be a loser. I have to overlook myself. I am not there for me, psychologically. Changes come slowly, but they come nevertheless. I have gained a tidbit of self-confidence in the past few years, and a little more optimism than I ever had. It seems that when things are going well, I want to work harder to be negative. Then when I get used to that amount of success, I give up on the negativity and allow myself to enjoy it a little.
    So, in my case, procrastination can be a method, a means to an end.

I can see myself as a rock star, still knocking myself down. I just think it's a comfortable place, where I feel safe. I think I use it to control my impulses. Healthy? I don't think so, I think it's something I learned to do because I didn't have another answer at the time. I would like to be different, and I'm working in that direction.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I do not naturally put my nose to the grindstone at all. My mother raised me, she is the opposite, gets things done quick, always ahead of the game. (ESFJ.) But, the rest of my family tends to be P's. Lots and lots of SP's, some NP's. Very few J's. I only do the bare minimum to get by, otherwise need a lot of external push to get through things. I find that it's a quality that is unfixable all together for me, I will need to learn to live with it or get around it somehow.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Banned

In our genome lies disposition, discovering it is great (yeey). The perversion of it is that it will, if successful be used as an excuse. Which is inexcusable.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    In our genome lies disposition, discovering it is great (yeey). The perversion of it is that it will, if successful be used as an excuse. Which is inexcusable.
    What?