User Tag List

123 Last

Default How can i develop my skills of observation and deduction?

Been researching a lot on cold reading and been watching a lot of Psych and The Mentalist and i realized the key to cold reading someone is have exceptional observational and deductive skills and these are the keys to cold reading.

So i want to know how can i improve my skills of these? From my earlier posts you would know my desire to learn cold reading. I wanna learn how to see stuff thats too subtle for the average person.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SherlockScan

A device used to introduce a detective character and his skills. The detective mentions some fact about the person he's just met, something that is not immediately obvious and he has no way of knowing ("Quitting cigs looks like it was good for you", "How's the wedding planning going?", "You've holiday'd in Italy recently). The other character looks skeptical or surprised, then the detective describes his reasoning from a set of minor clues (state and style of clothes, marks on skin, tan, etc.) and consequent assumptions.
    Help?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Illmatic View Post
    Been researching a lot on cold reading and been watching a lot of Psych and The Mentalist and i realized the key to cold reading someone is have exceptional observational and deductive skills and these are the keys to cold reading.

So i want to know how can i improve my skills of these? From my earlier posts you would know my desire to learn cold reading. I wanna learn how to see stuff thats too subtle for the average person.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SherlockScan

Help?
    Cool idea. I would guess that you should start experimenting and taking guesses. You could ask people to verify if you're right or wrong instead of asserting your hypothesis as fact, meaning, instead of "how was your trip to Italy?" you say "do you mind me asking if you recently went to Italy?" The answer will help you learn and build confidence. Practice. Also, make it into a game with yourself or a friend.

Thank you. I really need to start doing stuff, made my mind this is what im gonna learn in the future.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Sounds like being a smart Si dom...I know an ISTJ who will look at people, IN DETAIL (that's the main thing...you look at every little detail about them) and see that their socks are a certain brand (which for example might indicate they play tennis) or that they're kind of disheveled or that their clothes are faded or that their glasses are a certain style or that their hair is dyed or that they didn't pay attention to where they sat down (in a chocolate stain) or that they seem extremely alert, they have muddy shoes, their shoes are brand new...etc. et al...

Basically you have to be hyper aware of external detail and associate it with things you know from your internal database and past experience.

It's an entire mindset. I don't think it's a mistake that many fictional detectives in novels seem to be ISTJs.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I mean you basically are going to have to learn to scan people from head to toe and notice details instead of overall image, and catalogue it in a factual rather than ethical or emotional way. Like not make any personal judgements, more like literally seeing that these details added together indicate this.

Also, I want to point out that you'll never be as accurate as a fictional detective...that's why it's fiction. Hercule Poirot is amazing precisely because he's not real. It's too good to be true.

But of course in real life you could develop these skills if you really care about details and what those details match up with in terms of the real world and concrete actions.

MBTI
    INFJ

I've done this on a few occasions...go to places specifically to people watch. Best places are busy coffee shops where you can sit for hours or airports. Concerning the latter, I LOVE airports for exactly this reason XD

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

You have been watching Psych and the Mentalist and want to learn Cold reading ? Hope you know that TV aint real life
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Ohhh sorry i didn't post the video on this post.

This is real life.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btP_vy5cQq4"][/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    entp

Don't worry about deduction, stick to observation first.

I think deduction requires a LOT of background knowledge and experience.

Why is a 45 year old's ring finger empty?
    -he is a widower
    -he took it off to go for other women
    -he is an actor
    -he is a plumber and has to take it off for work
    -lost it while swimming
    -bird bit it off while he was feeding it. lucky that it was the ring and his finger

The above question has so many possibilities depending on the context. To single out the correct answer, you need some background knowledge like:
    -What kind of society do you and he live in? Are widower's acceptable? Is cheating not looked down upon (you can clearly make out the spot where his ring used to be)?
    -Actor? In this town? What kind of town are you in? Viable film industry?

My point is background knowledge and experience are usually required for a successful read. Experience usually plays a very big role in figuring out who someone is

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Observe and deduct !
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]