• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The *It Will Work Itself Out* Gene

T

ThatGirl

WTF! Where does this idea come from? Is it confidence in one's own ability or the ability of their environment, time?

I seem to not have received this trait at all. It will work itself out? How?!? I need to SEE how it works out, or I feel like nothing will work out. Ever!

I don't believe things just happen, you need information, put in effort, you MAKE things work out.

How do people live like this? Where does it come from? How do you function?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
LOL. This is very much a New Zealand quality. There's a commonly used saying here "she'll be right, mate" - which basically means it will all work out fine, don't worry about it. We freak out tourists by saying this as we strap a bungee cord to their ankles.

I don't know how you obtain this attitude. Perhaps you don't drink enough beer...

Jaguar

I can't stand that nonsense. Nothing will work out unless I make it happen. Budda-Bing!

Atomic Fiend

I don't know how you obtain this attitude. Perhaps you don't drink enough beer...

1249759953625.gif

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Part confidence in myself and my ability to do things to the best of my ability.
Part acceptance that what I didn't get done doesn't mean things didn't work out.. they just didn't go the way I wanted them to.
Part experience from life that things that I thought sucked or were awful one time turned out to be awesome.
Part spirituality from my religion.

No one part is stronger than the other, I don't suspect. Yes, it's true, I do need to be an influence.. but even if I can't see the whole picture right then, I have a confidence that the picture is there.. and a picture being there means it did work out in the end.

T

ThatGirl

LOL. This is very much a New Zealand quality. There's a commonly used saying here "she'll be right, mate" - which basically means it will all work out fine, don't worry about it. We freak out tourists by saying this as we strap a bungee cord to their ankles.

What a bizarre people. And yes, beer does help.

I can't stand that nonsense. Nothing will work out unless I make it happen. Budda-Bing!

Yes! This! What is wrong with people?

T

ThatGirl

Part confidence in myself and my ability to do things to the best of my ability.
Part acceptance that what I didn't get done doesn't mean things didn't work out.. they just didn't go the way I wanted them to.
Part experience from life that things that I thought sucked or were awful one time turned out to be awesome.
Part spirituality from my religion.

No one part is stronger than the other, I don't suspect. Yes, it's true, I do need to be an influence.. but even if I can't see the whole picture right then, I have a confidence that the picture is there.. and a picture being there means it did work out in the end.

Out of curiosity, what do you do once you decide it will all work out? And what does it mean that you need to be an influence?

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
On one hand, "It'll work itself out" is probably an avoidance technique used commonly by those of us with a high perceiving preference. The J's might have a hard time undersanding this because typically, they just don't allow things to work themselves out, always holding the need to interfere and control/direct the outcome.

For myself, it is more of a big picture, grand-scheme, natural balance, ying-yang attitude. A type of faith in the universe that whatever unfolds was meant to be. It stems from that concept that the only constant you can ever count on is change itself. It's definately rooted in a more spiritual realm, and seems to be at odds with the tangible, concrete and materialistic reality.

It kinda adopts the attitude that everything in existance has a nature that should be free and respected, and that by manipulating or altering this nature you are creating an imbalance. THe more force used, the greater the imbalance. Perhaps that imbalance favors you in the moment, but that energy is still pulled from somewhere creating a deficiency. Think cosmic connectivity.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I promise there's a particular word for this particular trait "It Will Work Itself Out". I've been looking for it for a while. I cannot for the life of me, remember it.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I promise there's a particular word for this particular trait "It Will Work Itself Out". I've been looking for it for a while. I cannot for the life of me, remember it.

Don't worry about it. Give it time and it will come to you :D

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I make things happen if I want to make them happen. If I want to make them happen, I will enjoy making them happen. If I enjoy making them happen, I don't have to put in any extra effort to make them happen. If I don't have to put in any extra effort to make them happen, it will work itself out.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i'm like this, it's a combination of extreme laziness and wishful thinking.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Out of curiosity, what do you do once you decide it will all work out? And what does it mean that you need to be an influence?

To give an example: I have a goal of getting my Bachelor's degree. Even though I have this goal, things do keep getting in the way of me receiving it. I graduated high school in 2005, and it's 2011 and I only have my Associates.

What it means to be an influence: I don't passively wait for an opportunity for all the stars to align. I actively seek teachers that will accommodate my military schedule at times where I know I'll be away, I ensure my unit doesn't intend on surprising us with random 2 weeks of training, and I study subjects on my own ahead of time to ensure I'm not behind.

How I know it will work out: Even though I do these things, the military frequently sends me on missions and things that will get in the way of my schooling. It is frustrating that if it weren't for military training non-related to the deployment, I could have completed an entire year of schooling this year. But I don't get discouraged and give up--I know I will get the time to do it, I just need to keep motivated.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's called being a P.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ

Nonchalance? Passiveness? Serenity? Apathy? Sloth? Insouciance? Indolence?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i'm like this, it's a combination of extreme laziness and wishful thinking.

+1. Plus the fact that often things actually do work themselves out, so you could say it's conservation of energy/avoidance of redundant tasks. You just have to realize when this is not the case, which is also a common scenario. That's the tricky part.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nonchalance? Passiveness? Serenity? Apathy? Sloth? Insouciance? Indolence?
Non of them. It would be a trait of a human being who always manages to get around whatever problem they have no matter how bad it gets and how much they lack initiative. Kind of like luck but a bit more tangential.

R

RDF

Non of them. It would be a trait of a human being who always manages to get around whatever problem they have no matter how bad it gets and how much they lack initiative. Kind of like luck but a bit more tangential.

Laissez-faire? As in “a laissez-faire approach to parenting.” Synonyms: hands-off, lax, permissive.

As for the subject of the thread in general, I figure that the human race got along perfectly well without me for the last 100,000 years, and they’ll get along without me for 100,000 years after I’m gone. The same principle applies while I'm here: Just because I’m currently in the vicinity of some task doesn’t mean that my participation is somehow required.

In most cultures there’s a high degree of consensus on how most tasks should be handled and/or what goal should be achieved. So presumably a task will be moved toward roughly the same end and by the same means no matter who handles it. The only question is how effectively and how quickly: A meandering half-assed result vs. a quick, effective result. If the former is acceptable, then I back off and let it happen.

Also, consider that a lot of things that people think are necessary, really aren’t necessary. Call it a “Don’t sweat the small shit” approach. In a world where we all have limited time and energy at our disposal, you have to prioritize things. The first question should always be: “Does this even need to be done in the first place?”

Learn to ignore or cut through the clutter of little obligations and entanglements, and you'll become more effective at achieving your big goals in life.

Silveresque

I think it's more of an optimism/pessimism thing. I don't have to feel confident to think positive and feel that it will all work out somehow. Of course, this doesn't mean I don't have to do anything to make it happen, it just means I try not to think about how it could go wrong.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ

Serendipity?