• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The *It Will Work Itself Out* Gene

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is a way of not being weighed down by worries. If I said this, it wouldn't mean that I was going to do nothing. It means that I did what I could, and if that wasn't enough.. I'll keep my eyes peeled for opportunities, and I'll get a good night's sleep.

redacted

I always say this. What I mean is, the incentive structure of all the people around me (including me) will eventually lead decision making towards solving whatever problem. It doesn't have to be planned at the moment, someone will make it all happen sooner or later.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
In the UK we use the phrase 'Ahh, it'll be alright'.

I said this to my mother tonight while talking on the telephone, lol. I used to stress about everything, you name it, i stressed about it, hehe but for the past year my attitude has been a 'Ahh, it'll be alright'. I finish work on Friday and if i don't find employment by Monday, i'm going on the dole. I'm not stressing, i have plans incase i don't find work in terms of courses and voluntary work with Probation. I think sometimes in life, we don't get what we want, we get what we need. It'll all come together.

Unfortunately my brother (ESTP) lives by the 'Ahh, it'll be alright' to the point of scary. Lives in his overdraft, drinks every night, gets wasted on the weekends but it won't be alright when his liver packs up and he wants mine. Nothing seems to phase him but he fun to be around.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
At a certain point, there are things you simply have no control over, so instead of worrying, sometimes it's better just to accept things as they are, and trust that things will happen as they should. The wisdom comes in knowing when you have no control over the situation.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nonchalance? Passiveness? Serenity? Apathy? Sloth? Insouciance? Indolence?
Wasn't any of those I believe.
Laissez-faire? As in “a laissez-faire approach to parenting.” Synonyms: hands-off, lax, permissive.
Nah that's not the word. There was a thread very similar to this one that used it in it's title and I'm not sure where it's gone.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Wasn't any of those I believe.
Nah that's not the word. There was a thread very similar to this one that used it in it's title and I'm not sure where it's gone.

And what about "serendipity"?

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Similar in meaning but not necessarily it. It was an adjective.

"Karmic", maybe? There was a thread on karma a few weeks back...

Or perhaps "blank faced"?

(I can do this all day long :D)

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"Karmic", maybe? There was a thread on karma a few weeks back...

Or perhaps "blank faced"?

(I can do this all day long :D)
Ah, non of them. The thread was approximately 2 years old therefore it's doubtful you would have caught it. Hmmmm...

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"It will work itself out."

This philosophy has limited applications. On some issues, this is a perfectly reasonable state of mind, on others... not so much. It's like the common man's Serenity prayer.

I can exercise this state of mind when the occasion gives me no other viable option.

Starry

"It will work itself out."

This philosophy has limited applications. On some issues, this is a perfectly reasonable state of mind, on others... not so much. It's like the common man's Serenity prayer.

I can exercise this state of mind when the occasion gives me no other viable option.

I like this. But actually now that I just started typing this reply I'm thinking this is more 'it's out of my hands'...(no...I haven't had enough coffee yet - although I never really have ever had enough coffee...)

It sounds like you use this more when you have gotten to a point when you have done all that you can do regarding some situation. For whatever reason 'it will work itself out' to me seems more like...you COULD do more but are deciding not to. In all honesty I wish I could be more 'it will work itself out'. I usually even go beyond the whole 'it's out of my hands' point...and it ends up working against me! Uff.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't believe things just happen, you need information, put in effort, you MAKE things work out.
How do people live like this? Where does it come from? How do you function?

I can't stand that nonsense. Nothing will work out unless I make it happen. Budda-Bing!

Yes! This! What is wrong with people?

i'm like this, it's a combination of extreme laziness and wishful thinking.

Etc... yeah, that is my experience. Sometimes things work, but it's just an accident. I certainly can't count on it.

Pretty much anything good that has happened in my life, I had to initiate or play a part of it. Otherwise it's blind luck.

It's called being a P.

Yeah. NOT.

At best, I'd qualify that to "P function as dom/main" (since Ji and Je might both tend to feel they have to control the system to get the desired outcome) and/or tie it into life experience that either told someone that good things happened to them consistently without them having to do anything, or the opposite that anything that you want, you need to work for because otherwise it's likely you won't get it.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like this. But actually now that I just started typing this reply I'm thinking this is more 'it's out of my hands'...(no...I haven't had enough coffee yet - although I never really have ever had enough coffee...)

It sounds like you use this more when you have gotten to a point when you have done all that you can do regarding some situation. For whatever reason 'it will work itself out' to me seems more like...you COULD do more but are deciding not to. In all honesty I wish I could be more 'it will work itself out'. I usually even go beyond the whole 'it's out of my hands' point...and it ends up working against me! Uff.

If there is a distinction between the two expressions, it is purely a subjective one within mere degrees of a situational vantage point. They are both reflective of the speaker's decision to not actively involve themselves in a process that has or will take place for whatever reason.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I always say this. Why? Because it usually helps my attitude towards the situation. I'm no good to anyone or myself when I'm worried or stressed out. I can do way more when I know that in the end it will be as it should be. I don't really see it as a lazy way of living, just a realization that I don't always have to be in control of the situation for it to work out.

Little_Sticks

I've used this before; it's my sneaky way of appearing confidently lazy when truthfully I just don't want to get involved and really don't care what happens.

Starry

If there is a distinction between the two expressions, it is purely a subjective one within mere degrees of a situational vantage point. They are both reflective of the speaker's decision to not actively involve themselves in a process that has or will take place for whatever reason.

What I wrote stemmed from your comment indicating you ‘utilize’ *it will work itself out* only once you have (subjectively) determined there are no other viable options for you in a given situation. The only reason I was making a distinction was because I was not necessarily convinced this was the phenomenon the OP was referring to. I may be totally in left-field here…but I was under the impression the OP would be ‘okay’ with an individual when they ‘let go’…after doing everything they can do (when one can reasonably say…’there is nothing more I can do’).

I got the sense from the OP that she has witnessed in her life…some individuals…that live their lives in ‘it will work itself out’. That they don’t necessarily take charge – of anything - but rather utilize this notion as a life philosophy. That these are not people that eventually ‘let-go’ when they get to a (subjective) place where they feel there is nothing more that can be done…but rather knowingly do not engage (do not take responsibility, do not get involved, do not put in the hours of thought and ‘trying’) in the first place.

I may be very wrong here…but this is what I got out of it (the only reason this sparked my interest is because I have been wondering about the same thing. Which is better…coasting or working?). Now for another pot of coffee.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What I wrote stemmed from your comment indicating you ‘utilize’ *it will work itself out* only once you have (subjectively) determined there are no other viable options for you in a given situation. The only reason I was making a distinction was because I was not necessarily convinced this was the phenomenon the OP was referring to. I may be totally in left-field here…but I was under the impression the OP would be ‘okay’ with an individual when they ‘let go’…after doing everything they can do (when one can reasonably say…’there is nothing more I can do’).

I got the sense from the OP that she has witnessed in her life…some individuals…that live their lives in ‘it will work itself out’. That they don’t necessarily take charge – of anything - but rather utilize this notion as a life philosophy. That these are not people that eventually ‘let-go’ when they get to a (subjective) place where they feel there is nothing more that can be done…but rather knowingly do not engage (do not take responsibility, do not get involved, do not put in the hours of thought and ‘trying’) in the first place.

I may be very wrong here…but this is what I got out of it (the only reason this sparked my interest is because I have been wondering about the same thing. Which is better…coasting or working?). Now for another pot of coffee.

Your expansion is not contradictory to my point. The OP may very well share your subjective differentiation between the two similar expressions, which remains in keeping with my previous post.

Starry

Your expansion is not contradictory to my point. The OP may very well share your subjective differentiation between the two similar expressions, which remains in keeping with my previous post.

Would you be willing to expand then? Because I would really like to understand what you are saying and I fear I am currently too 'simpleminded' to grasp it in these short-for-me explanations. I am sure you can see what I thought you were saying. I would be very interested in learning what you are actually saying.

Permabanned
WTF! Where does this idea come from? Is it confidence in one's own ability or the ability of their environment, time?

I seem to not have received this trait at all. It will work itself out? How?!? I need to SEE how it works out, or I feel like nothing will work out. Ever!

I don't believe things just happen, you need information, put in effort, you MAKE things work out.

How do people live like this? Where does it come from? How do you function?

shh, it'll workitselfout :drunk:

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I fear I am currently too 'simpleminded' to grasp it in these short-for-me explanations.

You are taking offense where there is none directed. I will rephrase in the hope that you understand me.

Some people will make a subjective interpretation of the phraseology used by the OP and the phraseology used by you (in post #31) and note a difference between their meanings, however some people will not, and will consider it simply a different expression for an identical sentiment. Neither of these groups of people would be wrong because cultural and individual differences in understanding will yield different interpretations. As evidenced by your initial response to me, some people will voluntarily evolve their interpretations in real time as the turns of phrase are compared and then separate them for their own purposes (i.e. to make a point or distinction about an intangible state of mind), which has occurred during the course of this thread.

(And now, I really am out of time to elaborate further because I am going to be late for work!)