User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    "It will work itself out."

This philosophy has limited applications. On some issues, this is a perfectly reasonable state of mind, on others... not so much. It's like the common man's Serenity prayer.

I can exercise this state of mind when the occasion gives me no other viable option.
    I like this. But actually now that I just started typing this reply I'm thinking this is more 'it's out of my hands'...(no...I haven't had enough coffee yet - although I never really have ever had enough coffee...)

It sounds like you use this more when you have gotten to a point when you have done all that you can do regarding some situation. For whatever reason 'it will work itself out' to me seems more like...you COULD do more but are deciding not to. In all honesty I wish I could be more 'it will work itself out'. I usually even go beyond the whole 'it's out of my hands' point...and it ends up working against me! Uff.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I don't believe things just happen, you need information, put in effort, you MAKE things work out.
    How do people live like this? Where does it come from? How do you function?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I can't stand that nonsense. Nothing will work out unless I make it happen. Budda-Bing!
    Yes! This! What is wrong with people?
    Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    i'm like this, it's a combination of extreme laziness and wishful thinking.
    Etc... yeah, that is my experience. Sometimes things work, but it's just an accident. I certainly can't count on it.

Pretty much anything good that has happened in my life, I had to initiate or play a part of it. Otherwise it's blind luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    It's called being a P.
    Yeah. NOT.

At best, I'd qualify that to "P function as dom/main" (since Ji and Je might both tend to feel they have to control the system to get the desired outcome) and/or tie it into life experience that either told someone that good things happened to them consistently without them having to do anything, or the opposite that anything that you want, you need to work for because otherwise it's likely you won't get it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by StarryKnights View Post
    I like this. But actually now that I just started typing this reply I'm thinking this is more 'it's out of my hands'...(no...I haven't had enough coffee yet - although I never really have ever had enough coffee...)

It sounds like you use this more when you have gotten to a point when you have done all that you can do regarding some situation. For whatever reason 'it will work itself out' to me seems more like...you COULD do more but are deciding not to. In all honesty I wish I could be more 'it will work itself out'. I usually even go beyond the whole 'it's out of my hands' point...and it ends up working against me! Uff.
    If there is a distinction between the two expressions, it is purely a subjective one within mere degrees of a situational vantage point. They are both reflective of the speaker's decision to not actively involve themselves in a process that has or will take place for whatever reason.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

I always say this. Why? Because it usually helps my attitude towards the situation. I'm no good to anyone or myself when I'm worried or stressed out. I can do way more when I know that in the end it will be as it should be. I don't really see it as a lazy way of living, just a realization that I don't always have to be in control of the situation for it to work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

I've used this before; it's my sneaky way of appearing confidently lazy when truthfully I just don't want to get involved and really don't care what happens.

If there is a distinction between the two expressions, it is purely a subjective one within mere degrees of a situational vantage point. They are both reflective of the speaker's decision to not actively involve themselves in a process that has or will take place for whatever reason.

What I wrote stemmed from your comment indicating you ‘utilize’ *it will work itself out* only once you have (subjectively) determined there are no other viable options for you in a given situation. The only reason I was making a distinction was because I was not necessarily convinced this was the phenomenon the OP was referring to. I may be totally in left-field here…but I was under the impression the OP would be ‘okay’ with an individual when they ‘let go’…after doing everything they can do (when one can reasonably say…’there is nothing more I can do’).

I got the sense from the OP that she has witnessed in her life…some individuals…that live their lives in ‘it will work itself out’. That they don’t necessarily take charge – of anything - but rather utilize this notion as a life philosophy. That these are not people that eventually ‘let-go’ when they get to a (subjective) place where they feel there is nothing more that can be done…but rather knowingly do not engage (do not take responsibility, do not get involved, do not put in the hours of thought and ‘trying’) in the first place.

I may be very wrong here…but this is what I got out of it (the only reason this sparked my interest is because I have been wondering about the same thing. Which is better…coasting or working?). Now for another pot of coffee.

What I wrote stemmed from your comment indicating you ‘utilize’ *it will work itself out* only once you have (subjectively) determined there are no other viable options for you in a given situation. The only reason I was making a distinction was because I was not necessarily convinced this was the phenomenon the OP was referring to. I may be totally in left-field here…but I was under the impression the OP would be ‘okay’ with an individual when they ‘let go’…after doing everything they can do (when one can reasonably say…’there is nothing more I can do’).

I got the sense from the OP that she has witnessed in her life…some individuals…that live their lives in ‘it will work itself out’. That they don’t necessarily take charge – of anything - but rather utilize this notion as a life philosophy. That these are not people that eventually ‘let-go’ when they get to a (subjective) place where they feel there is nothing more that can be done…but rather knowingly do not engage (do not take responsibility, do not get involved, do not put in the hours of thought and ‘trying’) in the first place.

I may be very wrong here…but this is what I got out of it (the only reason this sparked my interest is because I have been wondering about the same thing. Which is better…coasting or working?). Now for another pot of coffee.
    Your expansion is not contradictory to my point. The OP may very well share your subjective differentiation between the two similar expressions, which remains in keeping with my previous post.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Your expansion is not contradictory to my point. The OP may very well share your subjective differentiation between the two similar expressions, which remains in keeping with my previous post.
    Would you be willing to expand then? Because I would really like to understand what you are saying and I fear I am currently too 'simpleminded' to grasp it in these short-for-me explanations. I am sure you can see what I thought you were saying. I would be very interested in learning what you are actually saying.

WTF! Where does this idea come from? Is it confidence in one's own ability or the ability of their environment, time?

I seem to not have received this trait at all. It will work itself out? How?!? I need to SEE how it works out, or I feel like nothing will work out. Ever!

I don't believe things just happen, you need information, put in effort, you MAKE things work out.

How do people live like this? Where does it come from? How do you function?
    shh, it'll workitselfout
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

I fear I am currently too 'simpleminded' to grasp it in these short-for-me explanations.
    You are taking offense where there is none directed. I will rephrase in the hope that you understand me.

Some people will make a subjective interpretation of the phraseology used by the OP and the phraseology used by you (in post #31) and note a difference between their meanings, however some people will not, and will consider it simply a different expression for an identical sentiment. Neither of these groups of people would be wrong because cultural and individual differences in understanding will yield different interpretations. As evidenced by your initial response to me, some people will voluntarily evolve their interpretations in real time as the turns of phrase are compared and then separate them for their own purposes (i.e. to make a point or distinction about an intangible state of mind), which has occurred during the course of this thread.

(And now, I really am out of time to elaborate further because I am going to be late for work!)