Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    In which way? I mean, those qualities are usually associated with the interpersonal realm, not with the intrapersonal one...
    Do you think and behave in the same manner? Obviously no one does exactly (maybe someone with mental issues), we all do some editing of the raw output of our minds.

A more refined question: do you think and behave in an opposite manner when there is an observer compared to when you are alone?

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Do you think and behave in the same manner? Obviously no one does exactly (maybe someone with mental issues), we all do some editing of the raw output of our minds.

A more refined question: do you think and behave in an opposite manner when there is an observer compared to when you are alone?
    I get a little sillier when I'm alone. I think I get what you mean, though - I try not to be insincere, but I also dislike conflict, especially with people I like. I often refrain from expressing too much criticism... Is that considered "fake"?

(Sorry if I'm derailing the thread. )

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I get a little sillier when I'm alone. I think I get what you mean, though - I try not to be insincere, but I also dislike conflict, especially with people I like. I often refrain from expressing too much criticism... Is that considered "fake"?

(Sorry if I'm derailing the thread. )
    Seems pretty normal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    He isn't talking about avoiding conflict so much as being driven to be seen as likable and adopting whatever persona makes that easiest.
    Someone once said they would rather be liked, even by people they dislike. Apparently, it was their way of making things "easier." Needless to say, I would never hire them, date them, or befriend them. Why bother - I'd have to scan them with my bullshit meter on a non-stop basis. The same is true of those who run around complimenting people all the time.

Buffy: Oh, Muffy! Your new dress is sooooo maaaahvelous!
    <air kisses from Buffy to Muffy>

Muffy: And your new hairdo with the green paint streaks is to die for!
    <air kisses from Muffy to Buffy>

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    Give the whole thing a read when you have time. He isn't talking about avoiding conflict so much as being driven to be seen as likable and adopting whatever persona makes that easiest. And technology sends us near constant messages on how to do just that. People can come to rely on social networking (and other forms) as a mirror on which to project this persona, even regarding a person as just another flattering reflection. Its the technology that makes it new, but even back in 1968 Joan Didon was writing about how the hollow of a lack of real self-respect cannot be filled by others flashy approval. Her essay speaks to me. I just find the reinforcing spinning loop that technology puts on it worth examining. Its basically the antithesis of the power of solitude I posted about earlier this year. And I thought maybe others would find it an interesting perspective as well. And I'm against adding another like button on TypoC.
    This is a great and interesting article, as are the other articles and your own thoughts you've woven into this thread, Vasilisa. I really appreciate your perspective and the many thoughts you've shared on this forum. Because they're more nebulous and abstract and lead to even more of my own branching abstractions, I tend not to respond to them or interact based on them. But, know that my mind is interacting intensely. I suspect there are many others who do the same.

In my job, I'm often asked to create something using technology. Much of the time, I loathe performing the work because the goal is really just use of technology.

One aspect of technology is that it is a product, and a product of a consumer culture. Technology has become like a drug, and the technology-focused companies are the pushers. As a result, technology is no longer a means, but has been perversely transplanted as the end. We have become a culture of people pursuing a means, deluded into thinking that it will provide the progress, both as a species and as a person, toward a goal worthy of our pursuit. It is becoming an empty, lifeless culture without a purpose.

MBTI
    IsFJ

By sheer coincidence, I had to read (for a college class) the introduction of a book by Zygmunt Bauman called Consuming Life, where the author makes many points similar to Franzen's - you might find it interesting, @Vasilisa. The chapter is called "Introduction, or the most closely guarded secret of the society of consumers".

His focus is more on a consummerist society as one where people are both products and consumers, but he also talks specifically about social networks (it was published when MySpace was popular) and dating websites. Kind of depressing, IMO, but also intriguing from an academic POV.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Very compelling, Vas. Thanks for posting that.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTp

But if you consider this in human terms, and you imagine a person defined by a desperation to be liked, what do you see? You see a person without integrity, without a center. In more pathological cases, you see a narcissist — a person who can’t tolerate the tarnishing of his or her self-image that not being liked represents, and who therefore either withdraws from human contact or goes to extreme, integrity-sacrificing lengths to be likable.

If you dedicate your existence to being likable, however, and if you adopt whatever cool persona is necessary to make it happen, it suggests that you’ve despaired of being loved for who you really are.
    This part when I was reading I thought: Well shit..in a sense I try to be liked because I am generally intrigued in someone merely for the purpose of 'learning them.'
    This specific part almost seems out of place with this article, but maybe I'm just misinterpreting it? xD I haven't read the entire thing only the excerpt you posted...