User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does televising lives impacted by psychological illness help or hurt us??

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Helps participants, hurts viewers.

0 0%
  • Helps viewers, hurts participants.

0 0%
  • Helps participants and viewers.

1 12.50%
  • Hurts participants and viewers.

2 25.00%
  • It varies by program and/or situation.

4 50.00%
  • Other... will elaborate via post.

1 12.50%
12 Last

Default Televising Lives Impacted By Psychological Illness: Is this beneficial?

There is a wave of reality-based television shows out in the past couple of years focusing on documenting people with various psychological illnesses. The merits of any of these shows is debatable. (Celebrity Rehab, Addicted, Hoarders, My Strange Addiction etc.)

This particular episode is jarring and this is just the intro snippet. Wow...

anyway...

What I want to know is, how do you all feel about this new trend? Do you think it does more harm than good? Is the dialogue and awareness it creates sufficient to justify the exploitation of these people, their communities, and their families? Is this just the documentation of the human condition and it doesn't warrant value judgments?

Your thoughts, please.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Doesn't work. Or rather, it rarely ever works. It is more like 30 minutes of fame (or a 13/26 episode of fame) unless it is something like Mystery Diagnosis where people are trying to uncover what is causing the illness AND trying to put it out there that the people watching might have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Rave View Post
    Doesn't work. Or rather, it rarely ever works. It is more like 30 minutes of fame (or a 13/26 episode of fame) unless it is something like Mystery Diagnosis where people are trying to uncover what is causing the illness AND trying to put it out there that the people watching might have it.
    Do you think it is ineffective for the featured individuals or the viewers or both?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Do you think it is ineffective for the featured individuals or the viewers or both?
    Most of the time, it is ineffective for the featured individuals. Most of these people get back to their addiction the second they are not televised.

There is a chance it can be effective for the viewers ("I don't want to be like that guy on TV.")

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think it can be informative for those without the syndrome being reviewed (since it's a hands-on look, not an abstracted clinical one), and perhaps maybe someone can recognize the traits in someone else they love.

Then again, maybe people will be inclined to armchair-diagnosis incorrectly and/or worry without cause; and on some level, it's still kind of pandering to the lowest-common denominator (at core, it's still just Reality TV and putting someone's private emotional drama out there on a public basis, which is why people watch it). It also might lessen the stigma of some of the syndromes, which might be good or bad.

I always have had trouble watching the alcoholics and the kids of... too close to home. I don't typically watch the shows.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It seems rather sensationalistic and not really representative of a typical case in real life outside of TV. The viewers benefit more from an entertainment standpoint than an educational one. Some of the participants probably just attention and their brief moment of fame so they do benefit in that sense, yet they are being exploited in a way.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

armchair diagnosis like jen said would be the issue.
    9w?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

I'm really only familiar with Hoarders. In a lot of those cases, I feel as though it might be better left untelevised as they are very embarrassing and often horrendous situations with lots of psychological distress. It is interesting, but I don't know if it's really worth it being on the entertained end of it. I'd feel better knowing these people aren't being televised. Also, I don't know that they provide enough help to these people. It's usually mild counseling sessions, one or two, and then they're just left with personal organizers. These people often need real help.

"I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Too case by case to say if it helps participants or viewers. However, I find it generally disturbing and a gross exploitation of vulnerable people that clearly struggle with basic functionability, let alone the affects of having their problems aired to the world. While some series may increase public awareness I think the ultimate motivation is to capitalize... This has been one of my Fi violations for a few years now and I've stopped watching things like hoarders and intervention.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    I'm really only familiar with Hoarders. In a lot of those cases, I feel as though it might be better left untelevised as they are very embarrassing and often horrendous situations with lots of psychological distress. It is interesting, but I don't know if it's really worth it being on the entertained end of it. I'd feel better knowing these people aren't being televised. Also, I don't know that they provide enough help to these people. It's usually mild counseling sessions, one or two, and then they're just left with personal organizers. These people often need real help.

As for embarassment and discomfort, participation is voluntary.