User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does televising lives impacted by psychological illness help or hurt us??

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Helps participants, hurts viewers.

0 0%
  • Helps viewers, hurts participants.

0 0%
  • Helps participants and viewers.

1 12.50%
  • Hurts participants and viewers.

2 25.00%
  • It varies by program and/or situation.

4 50.00%
  • Other... will elaborate via post.

1 12.50%
First 12

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

It whooly depends on the spcific illness, as well as the effect of specifically televising it as well as the possible education it can give viewers. If viewers are capable of simply understanding the complex psychological conditions better, while the show portrays it in a non-bias and objective manner, then that's all fine and good. If the show has a sensationalist tone to it whilst idiots laugh at the pscyhological misfoturne of others, then that bad. Granted I don't actively watch any of these shows enough to fully discriminate between the speicifc programs and whether they are to be considered good or not.

It seems that Celebrity Rehab has been receiving some heavy criticism again due to five patients having died since the show/treatment began. The latest death:

Mindy McCready apparent suicide puts spotlight on Celebrity Rehab

But I honestly couldn't say if these statistics are higher than typical treatment programs that are not televised because you have to imagine that many addicts do not outlive their demons. I've seen support for and criticism against Dr. Drew Pinsky's televised therapy for celebrities.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    It seems that Celebrity Rehab has been receiving some heavy criticism again due to five patients having died since the show/treatment began. The latest death:

Mindy McCready apparent suicide puts spotlight on Celebrity Rehab

But I honestly couldn't say if these statistics are higher than typical treatment programs that are not televised because you have to imagine that many addicts do not outlive their demons. I've seen support for and criticism against Dr. Drew Pinsky's televised therapy for celebrities.
    I've never seen it, but I'm all for showing addicts in the worst light possible. If some actually recover, that's great, but for the most part, they're more useful in showing what not to do, for outsiders. It might even be better in the case of celebrities. We live in a culture that worships celebrity, and subconsciously believes these people are inherently "lucky" or blessed for their fame or success. Drug addicts usually rely on similar ideas about themselves - that they're "strong" people or in control of their lives and have some formula to keep them from truly hitting the bottom of the barrel. They learn too late that that isn't true. It's better if they learned to be more realistic earlier, when they're young, and seeing celebrities, supposedly the "lucky people", destroying themselves. It's a small step in shattering fantasy and arrogance. Both in ourselves and those we admire. Take it a step further even - show the death scenes of every rockstar and actor who died in this manner. One gaze might help a few kids (Don't get me wrong.. I'm not morbid. It's just that we have a sanitized view of tragedy. And those who need to know don't even read anything. So a picture is worth a thousand words).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

It's important for viewers to understand that reality TV shows are still edited to be entertaining, marketable and portray each "character" in a particular light. However, in the case of shows like Celebrity Rehab or Couples Therapy, I think it is useful for regular people to realize that a lot of celebrities are facing fairly serious problems of their own and their lives are not necessarily what most people perceive them to be.

I'm not sure any of those shows are of especial long-lasting value to the participants in them. They may help some and not help others. On the other hand, perhaps it does open up discussion amongst viewers and increases awareness sometimes, which is useful. Unfortunately sometimes I think it trivializes very real pain and serious problems and turns them into a form of entertainment and allows people to enjoy spectating. It depends on the individual viewer, where they are in their life and why they are watching to determine whether these kinds of shows are helpful or detrimental.

garbage

To the extent that it spreads awareness and destigmatizes, great. To the extent that it creates freak shows for us to laugh at, to psychologically distance ourselves from, etc.. not so much.

Yeah, guess which extent far surpasses the other in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    To the extent that it spreads awareness and destigmatizes, great. To the extent that it creates freak shows for us to laugh at, to psychologically distance ourselves from, etc.. not so much.

Yeah, guess which extent far surpasses the other in practice.
    I was going to post something similar. I think if it calls attention to an issue and raises awareness about a mental illness that is beneficial to society.

However, I'm not convinced these shows are beneficial to the individuals featured on the show, some may even be harmful. Is the increased visibility for an issue or illness worth it? I cannot say.