• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Se wants to develop Ne

Sunny Ghost

Is it possible? How can I do it?

I'm quite fond of Ne in the use of creative art and would very much like to develop that side. But I need that Si anchor, too. I'm so used to Se/Ni.

T

ThatGirl

Next time you find yourself using heavy Se, imagine what it would be like to have ADD too. Then act it out. Bam! Ne.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Next time you find yourself using heavy Se, imagine what it would be like to have ADD too. Then act it out. Bam! Ne.

Um, actually no. ADHD is very common in Se types because of the hyperactivity aspect.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Just throwing this out there.. but whenever you experience something, try to ask yourself what else it can mean, what could it symbolize, what is connected to it, what is it's relation in space and time. Try to see it as a mystery, then consider all the ideas of the mystery.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
but whenever you experience something, try to ask yourself what else it can mean, what could it symbolize,

She could do that using her Ni.

According to Jungian cognitive theory Ne and Se cannot even co-exist. Because they're attitudes, not shirts you change into.

Sunny Ghost

Just throwing this out there.. but whenever you experience something, try to ask yourself what else it can mean, what could it symbolize, what is connected to it, what is it's relation in space and time. Try to see it as a mystery, then consider all the ideas of the mystery.
I actually do tend to do this, and related it to Ni. Though I used to think it was Ne.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
She could do that using her Ni.

According to Jungian cognitive theory Ne and Se cannot even co-exist. Because they're attitudes, not shirts you change into.

I realize this, yes I do. But if she wants to entertain these ideas who am I to discourage. It is a theory right? It's what Jung thought to be correct and couldn't prove.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You won't change your mindset, but you can adopt traits of Ne by sort of mimicking Ne style of thinking. It's not going to turn you into an NP of course.

Some other thinking activities (in addition to what's been suggested already) for building Ne-like skills:
- Imagine currently reality as a cage, and brainstorm on how you can escape that cage, but not in a physical sense.
- Try to broaden your external context, assuming the apparent facts & sensations/experiences have left out some aspect of reality, an important part that will key you into a "solution".
- Don't view anything as impossible, even if its only possibility is remote, unlikely or completely fantastical.
- Don't dismiss contemplating & mentally exploring these remote possibilities even if you have no intention of doing it and/or it has no practical value.
- Trust hypothesis over experience.

Last edited:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
- Imagine currently reality as a cage, and how brainstorm on how you can escape that cage, but not in a physical sense.

- Don't view anything as impossible, even if its only possibility is remote, unlikely or completely fantastical.

- Don't dismiss contemplating & mentally exploring these remote possibilities even if you have no intention of doing it and/or it has no practical value.

- Trust hypothesis over experience.

These make me feel as though I definitely do not have Ne. Especially the bolded, that just seems crazy to me.

However, I erased the second one because I do that. I do look for things that are between the lines. I must have some serious Ni development, then, to even think I was Ne.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I could use many beautiful metaphors about Se and Ne. Even write poetry about them. But it all comes down to this. Se is tangible, whereas Ne is not.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I mean I realized that I don't WANT to look at reality as a cage, that seems delusional, like something could go terribly wrong. I do not prefer that. Also, I know any time I've attempted to strongly and fancifully to challenge reality it's always came back to bite me HARD. "Like let's see if I do this..." or "think positively!" and like, yeah, no. It's more like being delusional, not having Ne. It's a relief to have a firmer grasp on reality.

Also, I can see exploring possibilities...like "more is possible than what people I know have done"...but I know this because of books and movies about real people.

When people talk about aliens I look at them funny and when they talk about flying unicorns I laugh or roll my eyes. Entertaining things that ARE COMPLETELY FANTASTICAL seems like a pointless waste of time, and can get boring.

In closing, I love theory...when it has some practical application or I can relate it in some way to my experience.

I guess not being "Super S!" is confusing. Some people are SO SURE they're a Sensor, and I didn't have that feeling.

I do know that I enjoy talking with my SJ boyz, though, about how much I hate Disney movies and the Fantasy genre. It's such a relief to be like "yeah that's fucking retarded."

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do know that I enjoy talking with my SJ boyz, though, about how much I hate Disney movies and the Fantasy genre. It's such a relief to be like "yeah that's fucking retarded."

Se demon! Aah! *makes a fingercross*

:D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Se demon! Aah! *makes a fingercross*

:D

The-Exorcist-thumb-560xauto-25887.gif

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Wait...what about believing in ghosts and psychic phenomenon? I devoted a great amount of time to that as an adolescent, but I was also raised in a religious environment, so it seemed natural to branch out and question the "supernatural" extensively...I read so many books about it, did meditations, hung around houses that seemed haunted...this merged with my interest in psychology in high school.

Is that not function related? Is that just correlated with a belief system rather than Ne or Ni? Or is that indicative of Ni?

Ugh.

Paz

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You could always try doing what I do.

Not a mind reader? Here's an explanation:

My Se, or at least the qualities that I believe embody use of the Se, is very weak; I'm not very aware of my environment at all, and I usually end up glossing over the details, letting my mind wander, and then having an idea or realization hit me and entertain me endlessly. I suppose you could develop your Ne, or at least something resembling it in some way, by consciously using your sensing function, preferably Si, whatever you envision that to do for you, to answer the question "What does that remind me of?" The result, if you continue to look for similar interconnections or try to daydream, could come close to mimicking Ne.

Or, as has been said already, look for recurring patterns, themes, or related ideas in whatever you're presented with. That may not be much help to you in your attempts to actually develop this trait in yourself, but at least it'll give you a basic idea of what an end result should mirror.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When people talk about aliens I look at them funny and when they talk about flying unicorns I laugh or roll my eyes. Entertaining things that ARE COMPLETELY FANTASTICAL seems like a pointless waste of time, and can get boring.

I don't like the fantasy genre either, nor do I like to discuss unicorns or aliens. That's a taste issue; I actually find stories about those things very straight-forward in a dull way, despite being about imaginary creatures/lands. However, just as N types will sometimes dismiss S types as "simple", among other things, S types can dismiss N types as ludicrous & pursuing stuff that is a waste of time. That's because they lack the Ne vision; but in their heads, they "have a firmer grasp on reality" as you say. It's a matter of perspective; Se types seem to miss reality in the sense that their view of it is very limited, to me. No one has a firmer grasp on reality, it's only what they perceive reality to be.

When I consider fantastical things, it's more along the lines of how the future could develop, not discounting ways which seem unlikely now. It's not silly, mythological crap. Interestingly, that's more often how inferior Ni manifests.

http://greenlightwiki.com/lenore-exegesis/Introverted_Intuition : As an Inferior Function, Ni typically leads ESPs to either self-doubt or claim to a mystic vision--to see themselves as an oracle of transcendent truth, bypassing the need for finding things out through observation, reasoning, and putting ideas to a test.

Also, I know any time I've attempted to strongly and fancifully to challenge reality it's always came back to bite me HARD. "Like let's see if I do this..." or "think positively!" and like, yeah, no.

This sounds an awful lot like inferior Ni also. Ni is more about shifting the inner perspective, altering the subject (their inner world) because that is the reality for the Ni-dom individual. Ne is about finding different perspectives outside of oneself, as the external is the reality for the Ne-dom. So Ne types don't usually consider "thinking positively" as a way to change reality. They seek to alter the object (the external, intangible relationships), not the subject. Just as Fe is more visible than Fi in many ways, Ne is more visible than Ni also. You see more action from them.

In closing, I love theory...when it has some practical application or I can relate it in some way to my experience.

Ne types, in general, tend to like theory for its own sake though.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have another one for the OP....have you ever had a word on the tip of your tongue? You know the word, but you can't bring it to mind. You're aware of something specific that you can't even define, not yet anyway. How can you know something that you can't even think of? It's almost like a feeling, but there's no emotion or judgment. Then, all of a sudden, you wake up in the middle of the night & you know the word. It's like your mind was searching while you were doing other stuff. Maybe you read/heard/saw something, and it triggered that word, because that word would summarize everything very well, turning it into a concept that helps you see these things in a larger context.

Intuition can be like that. You focus on these intangible pieces of info that cannot be articulated, & it's often indirectly inspired by external experience/info. It's like they're on the tip of your tongue, and your mind is working in the background to convert it into something comprehensible to even you. However, with intuition, these "words" are information or insights that you didn't know you even knew; often it's because they amount to new ideas. They seem to come out of nowhere in that way. Perceptions come to intuitives like this. The tangible world is absorbed almost indirectly, passively, and their mind is focused on articulating some concept or possible explanation which will sum it all up so well.

So imagine if that whole time you were focused & aware of how the word was emerging in your mind. The intuitive is more aware of these background processes because its their preferred process. This is where the dreamy side comes about; the person is focusing on articulating a mental concept in their head, not the tangible stuff around them. Or, they will want to pull in others to articulate it (Ne-dom mainly), and basically shoot ideas back & forth until it emerges clearly. Just as when you're trying to articulate that word on the tip of your tongue, you may ask people stuff to help you figure it out, to confirm that is the word you want. The pursuit of possibilities is the visible manifestation of someone trying to articulate the idea. Doesn't it drive you nuts when you have a word on the tip of your tongue? This is why Ne is associated with being restless, spontaneous, fickle even. They're jumping from thing to thing in pursuit of finding something, something they can't even define.

So next time you have a word on the tip of your tongue, make a conscious effort to explore the various connections between things which led to that word. Bring in seemingly irrelevant info, see how it connects to what you know inspired this word, and then as a "big picture" forms, the word may all of a sudden pop out. Everyone does this of course, but it's an illustration of how using intuition can feel. It's like a little glimpse, a way to simulate it & flex it a bit.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't like the fantasy genre either, nor do I like to discuss unicorns or aliens. That's a taste issue; I actually find stories about those things very straight-forward in a dull way, despite being about imaginary creatures/lands.

When I read this earlier, I wanted to make this exact distinction. But before I could post I went into a mental tangent about intuition vs sensing. Anyhow, I agree whole-heartedly that N is not aliens or mystical creatures. I am sometimes rather baffled by what seems to be a tremendous preoccupation with fuzzy animals, mythical creatures, planets, etc. and also find alot of it rather dull. However, I wanted to ask you about the comment of Ne using theory for theory sake. I seem to find myself highly interested in theory, but always seeking to connect it back to reality and tangible results. The more I believe a theory to be true, the more I seek to validate it, but through unbiased measures. Evidence and the scientific method become very important. Wouldn't this be common for anyone wanting to intuit external? Linking it back to the external environment would seem to place greater weight on how it can practically fit into the material world, instead of residing in some internal construct.

R

RDF

Is it possible? How can I do it?

I'm quite fond of Ne in the use of creative art and would very much like to develop that side. But I need that Si anchor, too. I'm so used to Se/Ni.

@OP:

Juxtapose unrelated stuff in your environment and then generate thoughts based on those juxtapositions. For example:

Go to the gym and run a few miles on the treadmill. As you’re doing that, watch music videos on the TV overhead. But the sound on the TV is muted, because there is a spinning class going next door and Springsteen’s “Born to Run” is blasting out the open door of the spinning class. But then suddenly the visual of a Lady Gaga music video on the TV overhead matches up in tempo with the sound and beat of the Springsteen rock tune coming from the spin class, and the juxtaposition of old and new is bringing up new imagery and associations in your head. You sink into the mix of song and video, slipping back and forth in time depending on where your focus is. Or it gets you thinking about the nature of music, seeing how an old song can fit so seamlessly together with a modern music video.

Any number of thought processes could spring up at this moment. I would say that these thought processes (the new imagery and associations in your head) are going to be pretty close to Ne.

You get extra points if you solve a problem with Ne. That is, you can juxtapose a problem in your head with unrelated stuff happening in the environment to create a solution (often in the form of a metaphor). For example:

You read on a message board about someone wanting to know how Ne works. And it gets you wondering how you would describe Ne to an outsider. So you drive to the gym with that thought percolating in the back of your mind. On the way you see some stuff that might trigger Ne-type thinking in your head, but it would be too hard to describe in a post; so you put it out of your mind. Then at the gym you’re on a treadmill and the TV is muted because of the spinning class next door. So you’re mindlessly watching a Lady Gaga video to Springsteen music. You get drawn in when the tempo of the two match up. And then suddenly you say, “Aha! I know what to write now!”

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
reality doesn't feel like a cage to me but sort of like a lucid dream...because i float in and out of it like a weighted balloon. the idea generator that is my brain makes it hard to stay grounded for long. even during important physical things i have to remind myself to pay attention...and i'm not thinking of unicorns or faeries and magical lands of mushrooms.