• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Se wants to develop Ne

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Pretty sure that's Si, and she's asking how to develop her Ne. I'm sure that categorizing all lip products in the store together, whether they be balm, gloss, lip color, or lip liner, isn't Ne either...it's Si. It's categorizing similar objects in a linear fashion.

Your musings on the abstract nature of the word "ball" in relation to the concept of "God" and so forth is probably Ne, though.

hmm..there's no difference, function-wise. Si-Ne go hand in hand. There is a difference in that "lip gloss---lip products---lip balm" is a more obvious connection than "God"--abstract things--"Ball", but the use of Ne is still in both(though more adamant in the latter). And for an Se-type, I think it's best to start concrete.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Abstract relationships. Would you be willing to display how your mind jumps around, or how your thought processes play out in order to illustrate?

My perspective, you mean? I'll try:

I look at an object(say a pen). It's an intuitive(natural) process so I suddenly think of something else(say, a car). The connection I saw was "human tools." The pen to record or communicate and the car to cover more distances.

I don't know if that helps, I find it difficult to illustrate when I'm "forcing" Ne.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
hmm..there's no difference, function-wise. Si-Ne go hand in hand. There is a difference in that "lip gloss---lip products---lip balm" is a more obvious connection than "God"--abstract things--"Ball", but the use of Ne is still in both(though more adamant in the latter). And for an Se-type, I think it's best to start concrete.

Si-Ne go hand in hand in an NP or SJ. You're trying to tell an Se-Ni type to use Ne.

I think you're confused. You're talking about your Si.

Sunny Ghost

My perspective, you mean? I'll try:

I look at an object(say a pen). It's an intuitive(natural) process so I suddenly think of something else(say, a car). The connection I saw was "human tools." The pen to record or communicate and the car to cover more distances.

I don't know if that helps, I find it difficult to illustrate when I'm "forcing" Ne.
nice. thanks!

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Si-Ne go hand in hand in an NP or SJ. You're trying to tell an Se-Ni type to use Ne.

I think you're confused. You're talking about your Si.

An Se-Ni trying out Ne would require practicing a whole different type of mindset(Si-Ne), not simply Ne. Functions form a whole. As such, they must always be perceived as interrelated.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Are you trying to make excuses for why you were describing Si?

That's cool bro, and not that strange in a type that has Ne and Si so close in tandem (INTP Ti/Ne/Si/Fe).

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Are you trying to make excuses for why you were describing Si?

Ne is a function, not an object. Please explain how I was describing Si.

That's cool bro, and not that strange in a type that has Ne and Si so close in tandem (INTP Ti/Ne/Si/Fe).

Your talking about generalizations. Sociology, not psychology. please be careful not to go typist.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You're making linear connections by accepting new sensory input into your previous filing cabinet of subjective sensory impressions.

You're structurally categorizing tangible things, not seeing abstract patterns.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You're making linear connections by accepting new sensory input into your previous filing cabinet of subjective sensory impressions.

You're structurally categorizing tangible things, not seeing abstract patterns.

"Ball" is not a sensory input. It is a geometrical pattern associated with human playful activities.

...sorry

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
"Ball" is not a sensory input. It is a geometrical pattern associated with human playful activities.

Well I guess your perspective of it as being such could be Ne, but the idea in and of itself is not Ne. Seeing that a football is related to a soccer ball is not automatically Ne.

Functional attitudes are attitudes, they're ways of seeing the world, so your particular WAY of describing balls could be Ne, but your initial explanation is more like Si.

It's not just me being a pest. Someone who is also an Ne type agreed with me it was a bad analogy.

Permabanned
While "what does that remind me of" and the subsequent memory recall may be related to Si, the way Ne uses that is like a ripple effect.

For example, while trying to devise what to write, I'm looking at a wiimote, with a protective transparent rubber casing, and, applying the Si-related question, some results related to any aspect of the object in question can surfface, e.g., remote controllers, for consoles or in general, gaming consoles, cartrige games, as these are linked by affiliation individually, but also collectively, if for they are all made of ABS plastic, which is not entirely biodegradable as it requires petroleum to manufacture. The rubber casing however, is often latex based, which can be organic and already an idea surfaces regarding the possibility of using organic plastic like Polylactic acid (PLA) which is a bio-degradable polymer, to replace the more sintetic plastic uses, although it's likely that Ti already assisted Ne with researching and insorting out data to present that polished example.

This was only a small scenario, because the ripple magnitude will depend on context. When looking for a solution to a problem/challenge, the process can extend to great lengths. Imagine each iteration as the output of the [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjbtZ4NgtdA"]Improbability Drive[/YOUTUBE]changing the variables and then trying to infer their utility before changing them again.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Drive really really fast like you normally would as an Se. See all the possibilities along the way. See a ditch, and imagine it as a possible extension of the road, (Ne- seeing possibilities, nothing's inherently wrong.) and then see what happens.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Puns, word play, double entendre.....they all tend to be Ne related.

Craft,
I was thinking about your sports ball example....if I was bouncing a basket ball, I'd maybe be thinking about planets and gravity, try to spin the ball on my finger, and think about spinning plates, the centrifuge at work, rotation forces....why our atmosphere doesn't float away.

Indy,
I was thinking spider diagrams are pretty much the 101 of Ne thinking. Think of a topic, say Doc marten boots, think of a couple of associations. The 90's, leather, fashion. Take one of those associations say leather, and follow the associations....for it would be cow skin, cows milk, cheese, tomato, pasta, Italian......italian leather shoes. The 90's....grunge.....Kurt cobain, suicide, disaffective youths, punk!, and my last word chosen fashion already has connections with the other two, both punk, and Italian leather shoes are seen as fashion, but now you have a whole new topic to explore.
The above examples may not be the best, as Craft said, it's hard to force....and I'll admit describe, but if you start spider diagrams and follow trains of thought through....that's a good lead in to introductory Ne.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Drive really really fast like you normally would as an Se. See all the possibilities along the way. See a ditch, and imagine it as a possible extension of the road, (Ne- seeing possibilities, nothing's inherently wrong.) and then see what happens.

No no no... Ne wouldn't necessarily need to drive into the ditch because it's already wondering about how to create jackalopes before it even reaches the ditch. If the topic of conversation comes up, Ne will just say that ditches are good people too.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
IYou're probably right. I would actually be just as curious to see what Ni art is like. Sometimes when I look at art, I think, "That is soooo Ne. And bad ass!" But I don't really have those moments with Ni.

I think that's probably because to a certain degree, Ni is already an integrated part of your thought process. Se and Ni are not really opposites, I don't think, but two sides of the same coin. When you live in the moment (Se) you must have a concept of where you want to go. (Ni) There are principles and general understandings from which you act. One cannot exist without the other. Ne may be great, but I don't think an Se/Ni user can really truly understand it without becoming something else. I can theoretically understand it, but I'm not sure I'll ever really get it, and I'm not sure I want to, because that would require me changing into a different person in a way I don't want to. I think, in the end, full development of your core personality is preferable to focusing on another personality which isn't necessarily who you really are. I want to be the best INTJ I possibly can be, but I'm no ENTP, and I don't think I'd make a very good one, because INTJ is just too strongly integrated into who I am.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Is it possible? How can I do it?
I'm quite fond of Ne in the use of creative art and would very much like to develop that side. But I need that Si anchor, too. I'm so used to Se/Ni.

First of all, are you sure you want to do this for art? It’s nothing but trouble :tongue: I’m sure you don’t want the whole story in regard to my experiences with art classes but it’s really a nightmare of so many crazy images inspired but first needing the patience and focus to get things on canvas AS THEY ARE. I want to paint this majestic equestrian world with spiraling staircases, planets in the background, and rainbow waterfalls. But I can’t even draw the goshdarned horse to look like a horse rather than a mutated donkey-rhino....

Anyway, let’s throw that whole “you can’t have Se and Ne as a function perspective at the same time” thingy away a deep dark closet for a second and try some games.
Captioning the world: take interesting pictures and give captions to them that are somewhat unexpected for the picture at hand, so that the picture and the caption together create something new. For inspiration, there is this phenomenon called LOLcats…

This is not a…: take an object, and say to it, “This is not a _____. It is really a _____.” Now explain how the thing is really the new thing and act like it is the new thing.

Collaborative story making: yes, you’ll need another person for this, but at least this one is pretty self-explanatory.

- Try to broaden your external context, assuming the apparent facts & sensations/experiences have left out some aspect of reality, an important part that will key you into a "solution".
- Don't view anything as impossible, even if its only possibility is remote, unlikely or completely fantastical.
- Don't dismiss contemplating & mentally exploring these remote possibilities even if you have no intention of doing it and/or it has no practical value.
- Trust hypothesis over experience.

:yes:

- Imagine currently reality as a cage, and brainstorm on how you can escape that cage, but not in a physical sense.

But I think this one needs some explaining. It’s a really good metaphor for describing the perspective in general, but it’s very difficult as an exercise because it is asking of how to escape all of reality. Instead, one could start with a very specific part of reality of which to brainstorm escaping, and build from there. Like, “Can we wear time pieces on other places than our wrists?” “Why do cars have to move upon wheels?” and “Why aren’t we allowed to press that big red button?” (I suggest not getting any real red buttons involved. If the exercise goes well, buttons will be pressed :wink: )

Intuition can be like that. You focus on these intangible pieces of info that cannot be articulated, & it's often indirectly inspired by external experience/info. It's like they're on the tip of your tongue, and your mind is working in the background to convert it into something comprehensible to even you. However, with intuition, these "words" are information or insights that you didn't know you even knew; often it's because they amount to new ideas. They seem to come out of nowhere in that way. Perceptions come to intuitives like this. The tangible world is absorbed almost indirectly, passively, and their mind is focused on articulating some concept or possible explanation which will sum it all up so well.

So imagine if that whole time you were focused & aware of how the word was emerging in your mind. The intuitive is more aware of these background processes because its their preferred process. This is where the dreamy side comes about; the person is focusing on articulating a mental concept in their head, not the tangible stuff around them. Or, they will want to pull in others to articulate it (Ne-dom mainly), and basically shoot ideas back & forth until it emerges clearly. Just as when you're trying to articulate that word on the tip of your tongue, you may ask people stuff to help you figure it out, to confirm that is the word you want. The pursuit of possibilities is the visible manifestation of someone trying to articulate the idea. Doesn't it drive you nuts when you have a word on the tip of your tongue? This is why Ne is associated with being restless, spontaneous, fickle even. They're jumping from thing to thing in pursuit of finding something, something they can't even define.

This is an awesome description/definition to work from here.

When people talk about aliens I look at them funny and when they talk about flying unicorns I laugh or roll my eyes. Entertaining things that ARE COMPLETELY FANTASTICAL seems like a pointless waste of time, and can get boring.

LOL, yeah…. Extraverted intuition has nothing to do with aliens riding flying unicorns out into the sunset, even if sometimes I will mess around and pretend it does. But I am trying to take this more seriously now, so I’ll try not to mislead like that.

Though there is that story making aspect, I think. And aliens riding flying unicorns into the sunset might be the end to a great story, right? Okay, probably not your taste :tongue: But I don’t think the taste difference is related much to type.

And I’ll get bored with pure fantasy too. There’s still the drive to see those things in reality somehow, and when that doesn’t seem to be happening, it’s on to the next thing. Find the potential of a thing, try to make it happen, find another thing. Rinse and repeat.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't know if I could improve Se, and I'm even less sure if I even want to develop my Ni. If developing the latter one means she's a bit less pessimistic and would let me sleep at night, then, sure.
Here's how I might go at developing Se: by using it, as conscious as possible. Observe things for what they are instead of letting them trigger a whole chain of what-might-be, enjoy a rollercoaster ride for once without building a better rollercoaster in my head,...
Usually I put my Ne on the side track of "someday we'll use this in a story, we need the details" and try to describe what I'm observing.

And now you're probably thinking - hey, Tamske, it's the other way around, I'm a natural at Se and I want to develop Ne.
Well, here's your first exercise. Take my words to a broader context, generalize them to "how do I develop any function" and then get again to particulars "how do I develop Ne"

Because I've seen times and again with my math students. They don't have problems with the concrete (apples and pies). They have some problems with the abstract (x and y), but the most problems they have with going from concrete to abstract and back. Everyone can do that to a certain level. I bet you don't have any problems with the concept of "twelve", but it IS an abstraction. Twelve pieces of paper, twelve beautiful girls at the movie theatre, twelve eggs and twelve centimeters are all very different things. They only share one thing and that thing is very abstract indeed.
And I bet you don't have problems with going one step further in abstraction, either, with the concept of "a number". Twelve is a number, but so is five, and one thousand, and zero. What do all these things have in common? What is it that makes them "numbers"? Can you find another example of "a number"?
Now just realize what you've done. You've gone from particulars (twelve, five, one thousand, zero), to a general idea (number) and back to a particular.
You did it with functions, you did it with numbers. Maybe another, non-mathematical example?
What does ice cream, pie, an apple and a piece of cheese in common?
Do the same thing with lots and lots of other instances.
And realize what you've done NOW. You've done a higher order abstraction. The particulars (go from "twelve eggs" to "twelve" and back to "twelve of another thing"; go from "twelve" to "a number" and back to another number) are examples of a general rule (go from particular to general and back) and you can find other examples.
If you've done this (and not only read about it, really did find general rules and other examples etc), you've been using your Ne.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Serious post, (only be careful of all the subliminal messages....)

Anyway, lately I've been thinking of Si and Ne like this.
Si makes connections with more dots. So, they end up focusing on details one after the other. Experiences, things that are already known, things that work. They generally draw from what's already correct. If the dots draw a straight line, then they will follow a straight line and hopefully do things that make sense, since there is less room for interpretation.
Ne has less dots. So, perhaps the dots appear as though they could be in a straight line from one to the other, but maybe not. Like, Si would be like this.

(connect those dots). There is less room for interpretation and more room for right and wrong, accuracy and inaccuracy. Less room for context because the correct answer is right in front of you. The next thing is going to be the next dot, and that's going to be the correct dot.

Ne is more like this

Shortnsweet is the most amazing poster on the forum. Bow to her.

Less dots. What happens in between the dots? Well, maybe a lot of loopdeeloos. One may be next to the other. And one may be on another planet somewhere. The point is that we connect the dots, right? Doesn't matter how. The benefit of this method is that you end up with a greater perspective of things, a lot of interpretation skills but much less accuracy, and possibly even a slower realization of what's right and wrong, what's accurate and inaccurate. It's less about the dots themselves, and more about what is in between.

So, ask yourself a question about something that you know little about from experience, and try to figure out the answer on your own. You will come up with something weird and wrong yet possibly insightful.

(Edit): Se: Dots, coming at them, all the time, from all different directions. Gotta figure out what dots to connect quickly.

Ni: Oh God, now I'm in over my head. :doh:

ygolo

My termites win
Is it possible? How can I do it?

I'm quite fond of Ne in the use of creative art and would very much like to develop that side. But I need that Si anchor, too. I'm so used to Se/Ni.

I am not much of an artist, and my Ne is a secondary function that feeds Ti, so my perspective may be colored by that.

For me, Ne is a constant speculation engine...the speculations could be wrong, but it just churns away. There are even speculations about the speculations and so on.
Like all extroverted functions, Ne is focused on the outside world...that's what makes it extroverted.

Say I meet a person, all off a sudden, a wave of speculations hit me about her.
Everything from: "It seems like we have ___ in common."
to: "She may like ___."
to: "She probably thinks I'm ____."
to: "I think she's into ___."
to: "She'll may like my friend ___."

It happens quick, and its a constant flood...a lot like Se, except instead of noticing a lot of the concrete things about a person or object, I "notice" a lot of the possibilities about the person or object.

As for practicing it, just open your mind to possibilities in the external world. You are used to Ni, which is more internal...having a vision of what you want, what you would like to create, what you foresee for yourself. It is very focused inward.

Si can aid Ne. Si is about inner world of actualities...have a clear memory of past events, comparing and contrasting different situations, proximal associations, noticing what is out of place.

I think it is good to be able to purposefully access cognitive faculties that we don't favor. But, I think it ought to be done judiciously. I looked at some of your art from the link you have in your signature. It is much better than I could have done. The Se-Ni combination can be very creative indeed.