User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 80

  1. #11
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    I mean I realized that I don't WANT to look at reality as a cage, that seems delusional, like something could go terribly wrong. I do not prefer that. Also, I know any time I've attempted to strongly and fancifully to challenge reality it's always came back to bite me HARD. "Like let's see if I do this..." or "think positively!" and like, yeah, no. It's more like being delusional, not having Ne. It's a relief to have a firmer grasp on reality.

    Also, I can see exploring possibilities...like "more is possible than what people I know have done"...but I know this because of books and movies about real people.

    When people talk about aliens I look at them funny and when they talk about flying unicorns I laugh or roll my eyes. Entertaining things that ARE COMPLETELY FANTASTICAL seems like a pointless waste of time, and can get boring.

    In closing, I love theory...when it has some practical application or I can relate it in some way to my experience.

    I guess not being "Super S!" is confusing. Some people are SO SURE they're a Sensor, and I didn't have that feeling.

    I do know that I enjoy talking with my SJ boyz, though, about how much I hate Disney movies and the Fantasy genre. It's such a relief to be like "yeah that's fucking retarded."

  2. #12
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I do know that I enjoy talking with my SJ boyz, though, about how much I hate Disney movies and the Fantasy genre. It's such a relief to be like "yeah that's fucking retarded."
    Se demon! Aah! *makes a fingercross*

    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  3. #13
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Se demon! Aah! *makes a fingercross*


  4. #14
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Wait...what about believing in ghosts and psychic phenomenon? I devoted a great amount of time to that as an adolescent, but I was also raised in a religious environment, so it seemed natural to branch out and question the "supernatural" extensively...I read so many books about it, did meditations, hung around houses that seemed haunted...this merged with my interest in psychology in high school.

    Is that not function related? Is that just correlated with a belief system rather than Ne or Ni? Or is that indicative of Ni?

    Ugh.

  5. #15
    Junior Member Paz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    8

    Default

    You could always try doing what I do.

    ...

    Not a mind reader? Here's an explanation:

    My Se, or at least the qualities that I believe embody use of the Se, is very weak; I'm not very aware of my environment at all, and I usually end up glossing over the details, letting my mind wander, and then having an idea or realization hit me and entertain me endlessly. I suppose you could develop your Ne, or at least something resembling it in some way, by consciously using your sensing function, preferably Si, whatever you envision that to do for you, to answer the question "What does that remind me of?" The result, if you continue to look for similar interconnections or try to daydream, could come close to mimicking Ne.

    Or, as has been said already, look for recurring patterns, themes, or related ideas in whatever you're presented with. That may not be much help to you in your attempts to actually develop this trait in yourself, but at least it'll give you a basic idea of what an end result should mirror.
    MBTI: INTP
    Enneagram: 5w4, SX


    I don't post often, but when I do, I tend to ramble.

  6. #16
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    When people talk about aliens I look at them funny and when they talk about flying unicorns I laugh or roll my eyes. Entertaining things that ARE COMPLETELY FANTASTICAL seems like a pointless waste of time, and can get boring.

    I do know that I enjoy talking with my SJ boyz, though, about how much I hate Disney movies and the Fantasy genre. It's such a relief to be like "yeah that's fucking retarded."
    I don't like the fantasy genre either, nor do I like to discuss unicorns or aliens. That's a taste issue; I actually find stories about those things very straight-forward in a dull way, despite being about imaginary creatures/lands. However, just as N types will sometimes dismiss S types as "simple", among other things, S types can dismiss N types as ludicrous & pursuing stuff that is a waste of time. That's because they lack the Ne vision; but in their heads, they "have a firmer grasp on reality" as you say. It's a matter of perspective; Se types seem to miss reality in the sense that their view of it is very limited, to me. No one has a firmer grasp on reality, it's only what they perceive reality to be.

    When I consider fantastical things, it's more along the lines of how the future could develop, not discounting ways which seem unlikely now. It's not silly, mythological crap. Interestingly, that's more often how inferior Ni manifests.

    http://greenlightwiki.com/lenore-exe...rted_Intuition : As an Inferior Function, Ni typically leads ESPs to either self-doubt or claim to a mystic vision--to see themselves as an oracle of transcendent truth, bypassing the need for finding things out through observation, reasoning, and putting ideas to a test.

    Also, I know any time I've attempted to strongly and fancifully to challenge reality it's always came back to bite me HARD. "Like let's see if I do this..." or "think positively!" and like, yeah, no.
    This sounds an awful lot like inferior Ni also. Ni is more about shifting the inner perspective, altering the subject (their inner world) because that is the reality for the Ni-dom individual. Ne is about finding different perspectives outside of oneself, as the external is the reality for the Ne-dom. So Ne types don't usually consider "thinking positively" as a way to change reality. They seek to alter the object (the external, intangible relationships), not the subject. Just as Fe is more visible than Fi in many ways, Ne is more visible than Ni also. You see more action from them.

    In closing, I love theory...when it has some practical application or I can relate it in some way to my experience.
    Ne types, in general, tend to like theory for its own sake though.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  7. #17
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    I have another one for the OP....have you ever had a word on the tip of your tongue? You know the word, but you can't bring it to mind. You're aware of something specific that you can't even define, not yet anyway. How can you know something that you can't even think of? It's almost like a feeling, but there's no emotion or judgment. Then, all of a sudden, you wake up in the middle of the night & you know the word. It's like your mind was searching while you were doing other stuff. Maybe you read/heard/saw something, and it triggered that word, because that word would summarize everything very well, turning it into a concept that helps you see these things in a larger context.

    Intuition can be like that. You focus on these intangible pieces of info that cannot be articulated, & it's often indirectly inspired by external experience/info. It's like they're on the tip of your tongue, and your mind is working in the background to convert it into something comprehensible to even you. However, with intuition, these "words" are information or insights that you didn't know you even knew; often it's because they amount to new ideas. They seem to come out of nowhere in that way. Perceptions come to intuitives like this. The tangible world is absorbed almost indirectly, passively, and their mind is focused on articulating some concept or possible explanation which will sum it all up so well.

    So imagine if that whole time you were focused & aware of how the word was emerging in your mind. The intuitive is more aware of these background processes because its their preferred process. This is where the dreamy side comes about; the person is focusing on articulating a mental concept in their head, not the tangible stuff around them. Or, they will want to pull in others to articulate it (Ne-dom mainly), and basically shoot ideas back & forth until it emerges clearly. Just as when you're trying to articulate that word on the tip of your tongue, you may ask people stuff to help you figure it out, to confirm that is the word you want. The pursuit of possibilities is the visible manifestation of someone trying to articulate the idea. Doesn't it drive you nuts when you have a word on the tip of your tongue? This is why Ne is associated with being restless, spontaneous, fickle even. They're jumping from thing to thing in pursuit of finding something, something they can't even define.

    So next time you have a word on the tip of your tongue, make a conscious effort to explore the various connections between things which led to that word. Bring in seemingly irrelevant info, see how it connects to what you know inspired this word, and then as a "big picture" forms, the word may all of a sudden pop out. Everyone does this of course, but it's an illustration of how using intuition can feel. It's like a little glimpse, a way to simulate it & flex it a bit.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  8. #18
    Senior Member Santosha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I don't like the fantasy genre either, nor do I like to discuss unicorns or aliens. That's a taste issue; I actually find stories about those things very straight-forward in a dull way, despite being about imaginary creatures/lands.
    When I read this earlier, I wanted to make this exact distinction. But before I could post I went into a mental tangent about intuition vs sensing. Anyhow, I agree whole-heartedly that N is not aliens or mystical creatures. I am sometimes rather baffled by what seems to be a tremendous preoccupation with fuzzy animals, mythical creatures, planets, etc. and also find alot of it rather dull. However, I wanted to ask you about the comment of Ne using theory for theory sake. I seem to find myself highly interested in theory, but always seeking to connect it back to reality and tangible results. The more I believe a theory to be true, the more I seek to validate it, but through unbiased measures. Evidence and the scientific method become very important. Wouldn't this be common for anyone wanting to intuit external? Linking it back to the external environment would seem to place greater weight on how it can practically fit into the material world, instead of residing in some internal construct.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

  9. #19
    RDF
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    Is it possible? How can I do it?

    I'm quite fond of Ne in the use of creative art and would very much like to develop that side. But I need that Si anchor, too. I'm so used to Se/Ni.
    @OP:

    Juxtapose unrelated stuff in your environment and then generate thoughts based on those juxtapositions. For example:

    Go to the gym and run a few miles on the treadmill. As you’re doing that, watch music videos on the TV overhead. But the sound on the TV is muted, because there is a spinning class going next door and Springsteen’s “Born to Run” is blasting out the open door of the spinning class. But then suddenly the visual of a Lady Gaga music video on the TV overhead matches up in tempo with the sound and beat of the Springsteen rock tune coming from the spin class, and the juxtaposition of old and new is bringing up new imagery and associations in your head. You sink into the mix of song and video, slipping back and forth in time depending on where your focus is. Or it gets you thinking about the nature of music, seeing how an old song can fit so seamlessly together with a modern music video.

    Any number of thought processes could spring up at this moment. I would say that these thought processes (the new imagery and associations in your head) are going to be pretty close to Ne.

    You get extra points if you solve a problem with Ne. That is, you can juxtapose a problem in your head with unrelated stuff happening in the environment to create a solution (often in the form of a metaphor). For example:

    You read on a message board about someone wanting to know how Ne works. And it gets you wondering how you would describe Ne to an outsider. So you drive to the gym with that thought percolating in the back of your mind. On the way you see some stuff that might trigger Ne-type thinking in your head, but it would be too hard to describe in a post; so you put it out of your mind. Then at the gym you’re on a treadmill and the TV is muted because of the spinning class next door. So you’re mindlessly watching a Lady Gaga video to Springsteen music. You get drawn in when the tempo of the two match up. And then suddenly you say, “Aha! I know what to write now!”

  10. #20
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    reality doesn't feel like a cage to me but sort of like a lucid dream...because i float in and out of it like a weighted balloon. the idea generator that is my brain makes it hard to stay grounded for long. even during important physical things i have to remind myself to pay attention...and i'm not thinking of unicorns or faeries and magical lands of mushrooms.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 294
    Last Post: 10-07-2017, 08:07 PM
  2. How to develop Si as a Ne dom?
    By giorgaros2 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-14-2015, 12:30 PM
  3. [MBTItm] Wanting to be both T and F, what made u decide which?
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 11-08-2007, 12:58 AM
  4. Need to change, don't want to change.
    By prplchknz in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-28-2007, 10:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO