• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Appearing Intelligent?

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I was thinking recently about how people kind of alter their behaviour to appear a certain way (by dress or the way they talk or whatever).

Are there things some people do to appear more intelligent?

A guy at my school does everything he can to look intelligent. Apparently people who know him well say he is indeed intelligent, but not any moreso than any of the other kids in the gifted program. He gets the best grades in the grade and everything, too. Some people noted that he seems to do a lot of things to make himself look smart and then brags about his intelligence rather than actually being smart. He plays violin and talks about how much he loves classical music, he answers every question the teachers ask, and he studies as hard as possible to garuntee the best mark on every test.

This has me thinking, what are some of the things people may do to do this?

Here are some things I think people seem to associate (unaccurately) with intelligence. Some of these are things I've noticed, some of these are things I've heard from satirical websites like StuffWhitePeopleLike (so some of them are a bit more on the satirical side -but remember that satire always comments on reality to some degree).

-Glasses
-Quotes Shakespeare
-Studying in a european country
-Playing an obscure instrument no one has heard of from another country
-Wine connesuir
-Classic music connesuir
-Liberal politics
-Foreign film collection
-Quotes John Keats

Do you think this really happens? Do you think it is desireable to be seen as an intelligent person, or an "intellectual" (I hate that word!)

And no, this is not my subtle way of asking advice so I can look smarter than that fool at my school :dry:

And, just for fun, how about other things... like how to be seen as a leader. What are some things someone would do/wear if they wanted to seem like a strong leader?

ygolo

My termites win
It seems futile to me to try to "appear" anything.

I don't think the things you listed are necessarily done for "looking smart." I don't think wearing glasses makes you look smart. Neither does having liberal politics. Quoting people is generally done because the quoted expressed something better than the person doing the quoting could have.

The other things you mentioned are slightly eccentric. Do you actually associate them with being smart?

Atomic Fiend

It seems like more trouble to feign intelligence then to actually be intelligent, it wouldn't be long before someone realizes that your full of crap.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
It seems futile to me to try to "appear" anything.

I don't think the things you listed are necessarily done for "looking smart." I don't think wearing glasses makes you look smart. Neither does having liberal politics. Quoting people is generally done because expressed said something better than the person doing the quoting could have.

The other things you mentioned are slightly eccentric. Do you actually associate them with being smart?
I'm not saying anyone who does any of those things is doing it to look smart, nor do I think that doing those things makes you look smart, but it seems to me some people do associate those things with being smart. Maybe its just me :laugh:

Yes, quoting can be done to illustrate a point, but excessive quoting, and depending on how its done, can be bad. For example, quoting someone the person probably hasn't heard of is not a good idea and can make you look pompous, in my experience (especially when you don't explain who they are :steam: I had a teacher who did this a lot)

I agree with you, Silently Honest. Everyone has figured out now that that guy at my school isn't actually as smart as he wants you to think he is and that he's kind of an ass.

ygolo

My termites win
Yes, quoting can be done to illustrate a point, but excessive quoting, and depending on how its done, can be bad. For example, quoting someone the person probably hasn't heard of is not a good idea and can make you look pompous, in my experience (especially when you don't explain who they are :steam: I had a teacher who did this a lot)

We need to give the quoted person credit, don't we?

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
We need to give the quoted person credit, don't we?
Does it matter if the person doesn't know who they are? If you are going to quote them and say their name, explain who they are too if the person doesn't know :party2:

ygolo

My termites win
Does it matter if the person doesn't know who they are? If you are going to quote them and say their name, explain who they are too if the person doesn't know :party2:

That is a lot more trouble. Often, I just like the way someone I read expressed things. I really don't always know much about the person. For me, it is the way something was expressed that appeals to me. I basically don't care who the person is. Reputation holds little stock for me.

BTW. Good thread topic. I am often frustrated by people calling me "intelligent" for some of the things you mention on the list. But they say it like an insult. I've always wondered what causes this.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
-Glasses
-Quotes Shakespeare
-Studying in a european country
-Playing an obscure instrument no one has heard of from another country
-Wine connesuir
-Classic music connesuir
-Liberal politics
-Foreign film collection
-Quotes John Keats

You said this comes from a satirical website??? :shock:

Well, I should really worry, because:

1) I wear glasses
2) I studied in an european country (in fact, I was born there)
3) I appreciate wine and fancy myself to know some, especially Burgundy's. -(I'm French)
4) I can play several instruments (but not always very well)
5) My favorite kind of music is classical, and especially baroque
6) I am very liberal
7) I enjoy a lot of "foreign films", including some not very well known (iranian movies, for instance). In fact, I often find american blockbusters rather shallow, predictable and boring.
8) I enjoy quoting poets, but only those I have thoroughly read (see my signature, for instance)

Woe is me! :cry:

(Or is it rather a cultural/social gap?) :huh:

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Well... Blackmail, you must take into account that GZA is 16, so it is youngsters that are apparently doing all of this.

ygolo

My termites win
Maybe it is an age thing. But I find it amazing how many people hold on to wierd associations like this as adults.

I personally think it is an (North?) American thing, and it does not reflect well.

A lot of people need glasses as they get older (ans they don't have to nearing senior citizenship either). Glasses of contacts are usually a choice based on irritation. If anything comes even close to me eyes, I start tearing up.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
My brother has a friend that does the same thing only he is trying to appear poetic.

He writes poetry and insists on sharing it. Also, he's in a poetry group. It's basically a bunch of pretentious 20 year olds.

My brother finds our interaction hysterical. His friend tries to be sensitive and effusive and I simply am not. It's sort of like a rainbow smashing into a brick wall.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
The obvious reason that people will try to appear intelligent because those people believe that it will give them more respect.
I think I would rather be myself because if I really am that 'intelligent', I shouldn't have to act like something I'm not, right?

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
The obvious reason that people will try to appear intelligent because those people believe that it will give them more respect.
I think I would rather be myself because if I really am that 'intelligent', I shouldn't have to act like something I'm not, right?

Well said.

I agree. Like I always say: if you try to act cool, you aren't.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
You said this comes from a satirical website??? :shock:

Well, I should really worry, because:

1) I wear glasses
2) I studied in an european country (in fact, I was born there)
3) I appreciate wine and fancy myself to know some, especially Burgundy's. -(I'm French)
4) I can play several instruments (but not always very well)
5) My favorite kind of music is classical, and especially baroque
6) I am very liberal
7) I enjoy a lot of "foreign films", including some not very well known (iranian movies, for instance). In fact, I often find american blockbusters rather shallow, predictable and boring.
8) I enjoy quoting poets, but only those I have thoroughly read (see my signature, for instance)

Woe is me! :cry:

(Or is it rather a cultural/social gap?) :huh:
Some of it comes from a satirical website (such as the studying in european countries and wine stuff), but not everything. Some of the things I made are satirical (the John Keats one was a joke, I was debating putting a ":tongue:" beside it). The exact website is called Stuffwhitepeoplelike, and its pretty funny.

Some of them I think or more true. I think people associate wine expertise with intelligence to some degree or at the very least class. My parents are winos, actually, and my brother loves wine, too :laugh: Same with Shakespeare. Just because he has such a huge reputation, quoting him makes you look classy and smart, even if you arn't. Foreign films... also a classy thing, same deal as wine, I guess.

Don't worry about any of those things (especially the foreign study... it doesn't count if you were born in the country :tongue:). I'm not saying these are in concrete, and that everyone makes these associations. Actually, if anything, people who actually do try to look intelligent probably hold and believe these associations more than most people.

And several of those things could describe almost anyone, really, too.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Some of it comes from a satirical website (such as the studying in european countries and wine stuff), but not everything. Some of the things I made are satirical (the John Keats one was a joke, I was debating putting a ":tongue:" beside it). The exact website is called Stuffwhitepeoplelike, and its pretty funny.

Some of them I think or more true. I think people associate wine expertise with intelligence to some degree or at the very least class. My parents are winos, actually, and my brother loves wine, too :laugh: Same with Shakespeare. Just because he has such a huge reputation, quoting him makes you look classy and smart, even if you arn't. Foreign films... also a classy thing, same deal as wine, I guess.

Don't worry about any of those things (especially the foreign study... it doesn't count if you were born in the country :tongue:). I'm not saying these are in concrete, and that everyone makes these associations. Actually, if anything, people who actually do try to look intelligent probably hold and believe these associations more than most people.

And several of those things could describe almost anyone, really, too.

How about quoting the samurai quotes from the liquid swords album?

ygolo

My termites win
This has gotten me thinking...

What about people who want to act like "thugs?" Even though they have never even gotten into a fight?

You know, all the suburban kids (and even adults) who want to dress-up like they from some inner city gang.

How much of it is a difference in taste, and how much is pretense?

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
This has gotten me thinking...

What about people who want to act like "thugs?" Even though they have never even gotten into a fight?

You know, all the suburban kids (and even adults) who want to dress-up like they from some inner city gang.

How much of it is a difference in taste, and how much is pretense?

Given the many that I know, its 80% pretense born from 20% taste.

ygolo

My termites win
Given the many that I know, its 80% pretense born from 20% taste.

I am curious to know how you can tell how much is pretense, and how much is taste.

Both in the case of the suburban kids trying to emulate gang behavior, and your brother's "poetic" friend.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I am curious to know how you can tell how much is pretense, and how much is taste.

Both in the case of the suburban kids trying to emulate gang behavior, and your brother's "poetic" friend.

Excellent question.

As a preface, the people I am speaking of I've know for my entire life.

The poet, was anything but poetic when he was younger. Until his late teens he was very shy then he became very outgoing then made a 90 degree turn and became both outgoing and sensitive. I don't laugh at the fact that he is sensitive, I a laugh at thee fact that he consciously tries to act sensitive.

As for the thugs. The ones I know (also happen to be my friends) are a bunch of frauds. Most come from affluent families and were coddled all their lives. Then sometime around high school they decided that they were "rough". But I know that beneath that thin exterior is daddy's little prince.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
As for the thugs. The ones I know (also happen to be my friends) are a bunch of frauds. Most come from affluent families and were coddled all their lives. Then sometime around high school they decided that they were "rough". But I know that beneath that thin exterior is daddy's little prince.
Yah, I know a kid like that. His dad is a doctor, he has great parents, he's really really smart. He acts like a thug and sells cocaine (or he used to, at least). Its actually kind of sad, he was one of my best friends when we were younger.

And for the record, given that I have a name taken from a Wu-Tang Clan member, I would like to say for the record that I do not dress like a thug :tongue: