User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    F00D

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    However being calm and thoughtful can also give the opposite impression (of not being so intelligent, of being 'slow')
    Aha, I can relate to this! and appearing quite the opposite of bright, which is true to an extent...although I never really think I am THAT stupid when I'm well into contemplating something I agree with myself on.

In the classroom I can never process too much information thrown all at once at me, and am usually sucked dry of all enthusiasm by the droning subject anyway, so that nothing absorbs or commits to memory. Emotionally, I loathe the private school environment and its intellectual competitiveness. No matter how much I'll remind myself that intelligence isn't everything, that my driving principles prioritise being an advocate for anyone else who may feel the same way, and academic success isn't the only worthy type of intelligence, I can't shake the pressure I'm imposing on myself to keep up with my environment; to be intellectually equal. And as a result, I’ll overwork myself for the same result someone else fluked. Such is life, life is such...a :rolli:!! But then I will remind myself that diligence is intelligent, right? So I smile. Occasionally I do excel in certain areas where my achievements speak for themselves, but I can't live with having people overestimate me without telling them straight out, for example, "This is just ONE project, you're way better than me at _____ " so that I slip back into the "advocate" role.

For the record, probably the most "intellectual" thing I'm interested in is the MBTI...

MBTI
    INTP

When I was younger, I prided myself on being called the smartest kid in the class, but at least I was actually smart (In first grade, your typical INTP really doesn't know how to pretend to be anything very well for that matter). Then I realized trying to point out being smart will get you more criticism than praise with peers, so I stopped doing it. How this kid is a teenager and hasn't had his ass kicked for being so pretentious is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Derailing, derailing, derailing...

If you want to open a topic about Teilhard de Chardin, just do it elsewhere.
    I don't want to derail this thread so if you think I am derailing just tell me and I will try to get back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by mippus View Post
    Thank you. Because of your warning, I looked it up, and must say that it is a very nice concept indeed. So, Victor, allow me to correct myself: "Welcome to the noosphere!"...
    Thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
    I think it's a nice word. I will try to use it from now on --
    And a few more replies will see us through the first "noosphere"-based thread discussing it.
    You have good taste, Nadir, but just as I would suspect, as our Prime Minister, just today, has described the Turkish community in Australia a model community.

And you, quite naturally, are a model member here.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    I was thinking recently about how people kind of alter their behaviour to appear a certain way (by dress or the way they talk or whatever).

Are there things some people do to appear more intelligent?

A guy at my school does everything he can to look intelligent. Apparently people who know him well say he is indeed intelligent, but not any moreso than any of the other kids in the gifted program. He gets the best grades in the grade and everything, too. Some people noted that he seems to do a lot of things to make himself look smart and then brags about his intelligence rather than actually being smart. He plays violin and talks about how much he loves classical music, he answers every question the teachers ask, and he studies as hard as possible to garuntee the best mark on every test.

This has me thinking, what are some of the things people may do to do this?

Here are some things I think people seem to associate (unaccurately) with intelligence. Some of these are things I've noticed, some of these are things I've heard from satirical websites like StuffWhitePeopleLike (so some of them are a bit more on the satirical side -but remember that satire always comments on reality to some degree).

-Glasses
    -Quotes Shakespeare
    -Studying in a european country
    -Playing an obscure instrument no one has heard of from another country
    -Wine connesuir
    -Classic music connesuir
    -Liberal politics
    -Foreign film collection
    -Quotes John Keats

Do you think this really happens? Do you think it is desireable to be seen as an intelligent person, or an "intellectual" (I hate that word!)

And no, this is not my subtle way of asking advice so I can look smarter than that fool at my school

And, just for fun, how about other things... like how to be seen as a leader. What are some things someone would do/wear if they wanted to seem like a strong leader?
    Perfect..
    Apart from a minor relapse of memory:

The cigars.

Jack could not smoke the Havana.
    He smoked the Columbian instead.

The Columbian was better.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Intelligence, education, and culture are not intertwined. One or two do not beget the other.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    it's easier to appear stupid
    lol, Then what? Blindside them with your wealth of knowledge? ;P Sounds like a good plan!

I hate pretentious people and if I had to hear someone go on and on about how fabulous they were, I'd probably confront them eventually and set them straight but it's doubtful they'd even hear me so I'd just be back to square one. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Intelligence, education, and culture are not intertwined. One or two do not beget the other.
    I agree.

Victor dear, try to get it all in one shot! Multiple posts are typically frowned upon.

Regards,

Jen ( a non admin or mod but a enthusiastic forum user!)

PS I'd also like to add that I absolutely hate when anyone calls another person stupid! It's an ignorant (and lazy) assumption leading me to wonder if the person saying it is greatly lacking common sense.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by lastrailway View Post
    I've made a conscious effort to appear intelligent in several periods of my life.
    The first was during high-school. Now I didn't use any of the tricks mentioned in the OP, but there's the cultural gap there: I always had an excellent eyesight, so no reason to wear glasses, I'd never heard in my life about Shakespeare or classical music, or liberal politics, and actually hadn't read a non-school book before going to college. Still, I was studying hard and developed by that time a dismissive attitude that later in life I found very hard to give up. I weren't too willing to answer teachers' questions either, but I made a point of leaving as clear as possible to classmates and teachers that I did know the answer. The point of all these was to have the teachers talking to my parents into letting me go to the university.
    Then at the uni I needed also gain good impressions so to have good references in the case I needed those later. I had to somehow balance the first impression I gave when I showed up to the uni, of the shy, introverted child from a village, clueless to most social situations and without any "intellectual" background, so I used a couple of similar tricks: studying very hard, being sure I totally understood the processes before doing anything and only talking about stuff I was 100% sure about. By that time, I also had discovered books and started to slowly became an obsessive reader, which would add to the "intelligent" look I tried to have.
    Finally, when I moved in the country I'm currently residing, I fell immediately in the defence, since I had to deal with very competitive people. So, especially the first months, I was deliberately trying to look smart and intelligent and also I started looking very serious, another attitude that I got so used to it that I cannot give up by now.
    Never used the poetic stuff, however, it would be too much off-character.
    Appearing intelligent is overrated. I'd much rather actually be fair than appear to be intelligent; and not infrequently I fail at both.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

At my university intelligence is intertwined with studying something such as a hard science or engineering. If you study something else you are not considered particularly intelligent. The only way that you can possibly make an enginerd or science geek beleive that you're not incredibly stupid and just in college to get married is to have several liberal arts majors!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett