User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    yupp

I hate people who get the highest grade and are like I'm so smart blah blah blah blah blah look I memorized the text book I must be smart! maybe I'm jealous maybe I'm not. I get told by friends I'm smart, I don't really think I'm any smarter then most people. Or I see the world in a different way (not really[as in a don't think so]).
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    Excellent question.

As a preface, the people I am speaking of I've know for my entire life.

The poet, was anything but poetic when he was younger. Until his late teens he was very shy then he became very outgoing then made a 90 degree turn and became both outgoing and sensitive. I don't laugh at the fact that he is sensitive, I a laugh at thee fact that he consciously tries to act sensitive.

As for the thugs. The ones I know (also happen to be my friends) are a bunch of frauds. Most come from affluent families and were coddled all their lives. Then sometime around high school they decided that they were "rough". But I know that beneath that thin exterior is daddy's little prince.
    There is no way to fake your background.

But how can we distinguish between "trying" and "acting?"

I am sure if I tried to be poetic, I would be very poor at it. I wonder if I tried to be more sensitive, if I would be "acting."

Nobody is born knowing how to do many of the things people do. There may be a role for natural talent (but it is hard to discern talent from prior relevant experience).

I am not sure what the people acting "rough" may be aspiring to. Maybe some modern day "code of the samurai" or something?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Yah, I know a kid like that. His dad is a doctor, he has great parents, he's really really smart. He acts like a thug and sells cocaine (or he used to, at least). Its actually kind of sad, he was one of my best friends when we were younger.

And for the record, given that I have a name taken from a Wu-Tang Clan member, I would like to say for the record that I do not dress like a thug
    Unfortunately it happens. Hopefully he comes to his sense before it's too late. Coke carries heavy jail time.

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    There is no way to fake your background.

But how can we distinguish between "trying" and "acting?"

I am sure if I tried to be poetic, I would be very poor at it. I wonder if I tried to be more sensitive, if I would be "acting."

Nobody is born knowing how to do many of the things people do. There may be a role for natural talent (but it is hard to discern talent from prior relevant experience).

I am not sure what the people acting "rough" may be aspiring to. Maybe some modern day "code of the samurai" or something?
    Rough is simply the term many of these alleged thugs use to describe their behavior.

In this instance we probably couldn't distringusih between trying and acting. In any event their personalities are a mostly a fabrication.

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    Rough is simply the term many of these alleged thugs use to describe their behavior.

In this instance we probably couldn't distringusih between trying and acting. In any event their personalities are a mostly a fabrication.
    Is trying a fabrication of sorts?

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    xNTP

Is trying a fabrication of sorts?
    It depends. Trying to pass a test isn't a fabrication but trying to act like a thug is. It's difficult for me to explain.

What about trying to be more poetic, sensitive, outgoing, energetic, organized, or professional?

Just trying to tease out the pattern with more examples.

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    infp

Its bassically just a stupid "I'm the fucking man!" attitude. I don't know where they get it, but obviously if they don't snap out of it they will get owned when their parents kick them out. Luckily, the kid I know... his older brother went through the same phase, but he's going to university now so he's out of it, or at least he's more smart about it. I mean, this guy actually is the man, so gets away with it to some degree.

MBTI
    INFP

Eh, people can see through most pretense. I wouldn't let it get under your skin. You're probably not the only one driven nuts by it.

MBTI
    xNTP

What about trying to be more poetic, sensitive, outgoing, energetic, organized, or professional?

Just trying to tease out the pattern with more examples.
    Now I understand.

For arguments sake let us assume that some things are negative and others are positive.

Trying to act like a thug is a negative thing that not good for the individual or his friends and family.

Trying to become more organized is generally a positive thing.

Trying to be more poetic is a hysterical thing.