User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 93

  1. #11
    Senior Member JustDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Posts
    992

    Default

    My brother has a friend that does the same thing only he is trying to appear poetic.

    He writes poetry and insists on sharing it. Also, he's in a poetry group. It's basically a bunch of pretentious 20 year olds.

    My brother finds our interaction hysterical. His friend tries to be sensitive and effusive and I simply am not. It's sort of like a rainbow smashing into a brick wall.

  2. #12
    Welcome to Sunnyside Mondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    1,996

    Default

    The obvious reason that people will try to appear intelligent because those people believe that it will give them more respect.
    I think I would rather be myself because if I really am that 'intelligent', I shouldn't have to act like something I'm not, right?

  3. #13
    Senior Member JustDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Posts
    992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    The obvious reason that people will try to appear intelligent because those people believe that it will give them more respect.
    I think I would rather be myself because if I really am that 'intelligent', I shouldn't have to act like something I'm not, right?
    Well said.

    I agree. Like I always say: if you try to act cool, you aren't.

  4. #14
    Resident Snot-Nose GZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    infp
    Posts
    1,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    You said this comes from a satirical website???

    Well, I should really worry, because:

    1) I wear glasses
    2) I studied in an european country (in fact, I was born there)
    3) I appreciate wine and fancy myself to know some, especially Burgundy's. -(I'm French)
    4) I can play several instruments (but not always very well)
    5) My favorite kind of music is classical, and especially baroque
    6) I am very liberal
    7) I enjoy a lot of "foreign films", including some not very well known (iranian movies, for instance). In fact, I often find american blockbusters rather shallow, predictable and boring.
    8) I enjoy quoting poets, but only those I have thoroughly read (see my signature, for instance)

    Woe is me!

    (Or is it rather a cultural/social gap?)
    Some of it comes from a satirical website (such as the studying in european countries and wine stuff), but not everything. Some of the things I made are satirical (the John Keats one was a joke, I was debating putting a "" beside it). The exact website is called Stuffwhitepeoplelike, and its pretty funny.

    Some of them I think or more true. I think people associate wine expertise with intelligence to some degree or at the very least class. My parents are winos, actually, and my brother loves wine, too Same with Shakespeare. Just because he has such a huge reputation, quoting him makes you look classy and smart, even if you arn't. Foreign films... also a classy thing, same deal as wine, I guess.

    Don't worry about any of those things (especially the foreign study... it doesn't count if you were born in the country ). I'm not saying these are in concrete, and that everyone makes these associations. Actually, if anything, people who actually do try to look intelligent probably hold and believe these associations more than most people.

    And several of those things could describe almost anyone, really, too.

  5. #15
    Senior Member JustDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Posts
    992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Some of it comes from a satirical website (such as the studying in european countries and wine stuff), but not everything. Some of the things I made are satirical (the John Keats one was a joke, I was debating putting a "" beside it). The exact website is called Stuffwhitepeoplelike, and its pretty funny.

    Some of them I think or more true. I think people associate wine expertise with intelligence to some degree or at the very least class. My parents are winos, actually, and my brother loves wine, too Same with Shakespeare. Just because he has such a huge reputation, quoting him makes you look classy and smart, even if you arn't. Foreign films... also a classy thing, same deal as wine, I guess.

    Don't worry about any of those things (especially the foreign study... it doesn't count if you were born in the country ). I'm not saying these are in concrete, and that everyone makes these associations. Actually, if anything, people who actually do try to look intelligent probably hold and believe these associations more than most people.

    And several of those things could describe almost anyone, really, too.
    How about quoting the samurai quotes from the liquid swords album?

  6. #16

    Default

    This has gotten me thinking...

    What about people who want to act like "thugs?" Even though they have never even gotten into a fight?

    You know, all the suburban kids (and even adults) who want to dress-up like they from some inner city gang.

    How much of it is a difference in taste, and how much is pretense?

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  7. #17
    Senior Member JustDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Posts
    992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    This has gotten me thinking...

    What about people who want to act like "thugs?" Even though they have never even gotten into a fight?

    You know, all the suburban kids (and even adults) who want to dress-up like they from some inner city gang.

    How much of it is a difference in taste, and how much is pretense?
    Given the many that I know, its 80% pretense born from 20% taste.

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    Given the many that I know, its 80% pretense born from 20% taste.
    I am curious to know how you can tell how much is pretense, and how much is taste.

    Both in the case of the suburban kids trying to emulate gang behavior, and your brother's "poetic" friend.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  9. #19
    Senior Member JustDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Posts
    992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I am curious to know how you can tell how much is pretense, and how much is taste.

    Both in the case of the suburban kids trying to emulate gang behavior, and your brother's "poetic" friend.
    Excellent question.

    As a preface, the people I am speaking of I've know for my entire life.

    The poet, was anything but poetic when he was younger. Until his late teens he was very shy then he became very outgoing then made a 90 degree turn and became both outgoing and sensitive. I don't laugh at the fact that he is sensitive, I a laugh at thee fact that he consciously tries to act sensitive.

    As for the thugs. The ones I know (also happen to be my friends) are a bunch of frauds. Most come from affluent families and were coddled all their lives. Then sometime around high school they decided that they were "rough". But I know that beneath that thin exterior is daddy's little prince.

  10. #20
    Resident Snot-Nose GZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    infp
    Posts
    1,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    As for the thugs. The ones I know (also happen to be my friends) are a bunch of frauds. Most come from affluent families and were coddled all their lives. Then sometime around high school they decided that they were "rough". But I know that beneath that thin exterior is daddy's little prince.
    Yah, I know a kid like that. His dad is a doctor, he has great parents, he's really really smart. He acts like a thug and sells cocaine (or he used to, at least). Its actually kind of sad, he was one of my best friends when we were younger.

    And for the record, given that I have a name taken from a Wu-Tang Clan member, I would like to say for the record that I do not dress like a thug

Similar Threads

  1. 41. The structure of DNA appears to be intelligently designed, what are the implicati
    By lightsun in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-11-2017, 08:15 PM
  2. The Evolution of Human Cognition, Artificial Intelligence, Supervenience
    By ferunandesu in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-16-2012, 09:46 AM
  3. Ken Miller on Intelligent Design
    By darlets in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 05:13 PM
  4. Supposed "intelligence" quotient
    By Mycroft in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-21-2007, 07:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO