• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dream Thread

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had a really cool progression of dreams throughout highschool. My dad is Jewish (by heritage, not religion), so I partially identify with Jews. I used to have dreams that the NAZIs were after my dad and I, and I was always running away, trying to escape them. Later on, I started having dreams where I was a leader Jew, helping fellow Jews to safety. Finally, I started dreaming that I was a Christian hiding Jews. Then I stopped having holocaust dreams altogether. See the progression? Victim, empowered victim, non-victim. :rock:

That's interesting. I'm still at the victim stage - forever getting shot, machete-d or such - it's a bummer. Sometimes I'm the one with the machete - I like those better.
How did you become "empowered", Ms Phoenix?

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
That's interesting. I'm still at the victim stage - forever getting shot, machete-d or such - it's a bummer. Sometimes I'm the one with the machete - I like those better.
How did you become "empowered", Ms Phoenix?

I honestly have no idea. It's hard to tell whether the dreams are expressing subconscious processes, or are the subconscious processes themselves... (chicken or the egg thing).

In the last year I've been dreaming about trying to get to work, but getting lost on the way. It usually involves some sort of public transportation, and I'll miss the bus, or get off at the wrong stop, etc. Sometimes if I get lost and am just randomly wandering the city, there will be a natural disaster and I have to help 2 or 3 people to safety. There have been floods, earthquakes, and even a giant R2D2 that destroyed the city with giant lazers. Sometimes I get to work (the building), but take the wrong elevator 5 million times. I often end up in a mall or food court and go shopping, although I never buy anything because I think it's all a rip-off (that's what I do in real life too). I have the feeling that once I start grad. school, I'll magically make it to work in my dreams.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
lately my dreams have been starting out where I'm a different person, like someone I know, or a character on tv, then I turn into myself in the middle of the dream.I also am able to talk to animals in my dreams.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I honestly have no idea. It's hard to tell whether the dreams are expressing subconscious processes, or are the subconscious processes themselves... (chicken or the egg thing).
I see dreams as the corrective voice of your unconscious. They're the playground of your inferior functions.
I would have thought the dream progression mirrored your own personal cognitive development. So what I was asking is - did you do any "work" to free yourself from victimhood?
In the last year I've been dreaming about trying to get to work, but getting lost on the way. It usually involves some sort of public transportation, and I'll miss the bus, or get off at the wrong stop, etc. Sometimes if I get lost and am just randomly wandering the city, there will be a natural disaster and I have to help 2 or 3 people to safety. There have been floods, earthquakes, and even a giant R2D2 that destroyed the city with giant lazers. Sometimes I get to work (the building), but take the wrong elevator 5 million times. I often end up in a mall or food court and go shopping, although I never buy anything because I think it's all a rip-off (that's what I do in real life too).
That pretty much sounds like my average day - minus the natural disasters and messiah complex ;)

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lately my dreams have been starting out where I'm a different person, like someone I know, or a character on tv, then I turn into myself in the middle of the dream.I also am able to talk to animals in my dreams.

You mean you don't talk to animals IRL?

That's messed up.

I think you are just finding your identity. (That's a very superficial reading, btw :)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
You mean you don't talk to animals IRL?

That's messed up.

I think you are just finding your identity. (That's a very superficial reading, btw :)
no I mean like I can have conversations with them and read their minds. and we chat about things.

I do talk to animals in real life they just don't talk back with human words.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
no I mean like I can have conversations with them and read their minds. and we chat about things.

what sorta things?
i'd love to read the mind of a chicken.
i bet those sonsabiches are profound dudes.

i talk to plants, but they don't hold up their end too well.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
what sorta things?
i'd love to read the mind of a chicken.
i bet those sonsabiches are profound dudes.

i talk to plants, but they don't hold up their end too well.

mostly its been with a dog I use to own but she died. so in my dreams we talk about different things sometimes I want to show her something, sometimes she wants to show me something, sometimes we talk about how we miss each other. just stuff you talk to with friends you haven't seen in awhile.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
mostly its been with a dog I use to own but she died. so in my dreams we talk about different things sometimes I want to show her something, sometimes she wants to show me something, sometimes we talk about how we miss each other. just stuff you talk to with friends you haven't seen in awhile.

:cry:

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Is there a truth that can be drawn from having explicit conversations in your dream?

I remember one time me and a couple of my friends were discussing the types of dreams we had and just in general the things that influence our dreams and what we could draw from it. Anyways we ended up talking about the prevalence of conversation in our dreams and if they ever played a central role in them and I found that most of them didn't have many if any conversationally centered dreams.

Personally I think those are the best type of dreams and they are more often than not the lucid dreams I have. It's usually more on the reflection of life side of things though, whether it be about some interesting concept I've been thinking about or just people in my life that I want to get a new understanding or perspective on. Sometimes it just might be they're there in a context or environment that they wouldn't regularly be in and that serves to add a very fascinating direction for my dreams.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I see dreams as the corrective voice of your unconscious. They're the playground of your inferior functions.
I would have thought the dream progression mirrored your own personal cognitive development. So what I was asking is - did you do any "work" to free yourself from victimhood?

Nope. It just kinda happened, I guess.

That pretty much sounds like my average day - minus the natural disasters and messiah complex ;)

Messiah complex? Girl, I am the messiah!
you-->:worthy: :jesus: <--me

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
A few memorable dreams I have had..

-I was four, and I was on my porch swinging on a rocking bench. All of a sudden, these large shadows with outreaching arms and scowling eyes appeared above the houses behind me..huge black monsters in the sky. I got up to run inside..screaming..but I didn't make it. I tripped on a nail sticking bolt up from the porch, and then woke up.

-I was in a clearing in a forest..not a forest of pine, but maybe of apple trees, or other shorter trees, bearing no leafs, and very dense at that..assuming sometime in the fall. There were graves on the ground. I started walking around a bend in the clearing, and saw a tree..mist engulfed it..it also, bearing no leaves. The sun shown through the mist, creating a very vivid picture in my head, that I still remember. And the phrase "the presence of god watches over us" from the Unity Prayer came to me..somehow in the dream. I kept walking a little bit, and heard a twig snatch behind me in the wooded area, I turned, saw nothing, and kept walking..I heard it again, closer..and still saw nothing..and then right before I woke up, it was very near behind me..sneaking up on me.

-A very brief by absolutely terrifying dream I had when I was about 13. I walked into a dimly lit room..the last orange rays of twilight seeping in as the sun set behind some clouds..almost an eerie scene. The room was very old..antique like. I walked in, and saw a two very old people: one man, and one woman to his right, resting in rocking chairs, gently rocking, eyes closed..suspended in light sleep..or waiting. A second later, both of their eyes bolted open..their pupils milk white...and an explosion that transcended dream and reality..blown into oblivion, a catastrophic bomb that both hurt my ears, and frightened me to the very limits of sanity..I woke up, absolutely terrorized..mezmorized. contemplating what had just occurred. Could something in the physical world have triggered this dream like catastrophe? or was it beyond all understanding of the conscious.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I had a funny one last night.

I was back in college only at my present age. I was feeling some out of the loop. I was also working as a maid in a nearby hotel and when I went in one room to make it up, there was Don Henley lying on the bed. We started a conversation and he said he was playing the college that night and he'd like me to be there. We really connected emotionally.

Whoa! I'm all excited. I've still got it! I'm gonna party with the big dawgs tonight! I show up early and he's up in the bleachers with some young people. He invites me to come sit with him and I'm feeling like a princess.

He gives me a large package and I have to go down near the entrance for some reason where I open it. Three button-up argyle sweaters. Not my style nor my colors, but I'm thinking maybe it's the latest thing. So I put the bright yellow one on with my torn jeans and hiking boots.

I can't carry the rest of the package back to the bleachers so I leave it on the floor by the entrance.

When I get back into the bleachers it's nearly time for the show to start and I've lost my place, but Don hands me a note, leans over me. I gasp. He whispers in my ear and points to a pretty, young dark-haired woman in the audience.

"See that girl, there?" he says. "Take this note down to her."

I do as he's asked and walk toward the exit. That's why he was so interested in me! On my way out I notice that someone has taken my other sweaters. As I walk out the door I think, "Well, at least I got this kewl sweater."

Is this a sign of deep disturbance? Personal ageism? Secret desires? Hee. I'm still chuckling in self-deprecation.

Oleander

MBTI Type
INFP
Tell you what Anja, you can get any number of books in dream interpretation, some Freudian and some more traditional mystic Jungian. But they never ever give anything like the complexity of dreams that real people really have.

Most of mine separate into either coming home after a long period to find it a ruin or being underground and when we return the world has changed but we have not and we are seen as dangerous mutants. I don't think either of those needs much interpretation a sad that my home was a mess I tried to sort out and my family felt the mess more familiar however they hated it, or that once you get old enough you see that words and 'positions' often depend far more on prevailing beliefs than on anything the words might mean in themselves.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Someone please make sense of this:

LadyJaye (my twin sister) and I both dreamed of white horses last night.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Someone please make sense of this:

LadyJaye (my twin sister) and I both dreamed of white horses last night.

Is there mischief afoot?

I actually wouldn't be surprised by this. My children sometimes dreamt about the same thing.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Tell you what Anja, you can get any number of books in dream interpretation, some Freudian and some more traditional mystic Jungian. But they never ever give anything like the complexity of dreams that real people really have.

Most of mine separate into either coming home after a long period to find it a ruin or being underground and when we return the world has changed but we have not and we are seen as dangerous mutants. I don't think either of those needs much interpretation a sad that my home was a mess I tried to sort out and my family felt the mess more familiar however they hated it, or that once you get old enough you see that words and 'positions' often depend far more on prevailing beliefs than on anything the words might mean in themselves.

As you reference, Oleander, I think we dream about things we've seen recently, something we've talked about, or sometimes about issues which have caught our attention and may need work, and sometimes things which have bothered us for a long time.

I think people who are introspective can figure out where much of their dream imagery comes from. I usually feel reluctant to use a guide of any sort to find out what something "means." Not my process there.

A larger, and more puzzling, question is whether there are answers for me in dreams.

Something that compelled me to post this recent one was because I think it had to do with recently seeing the Eagles in concert, combined with a few discussions we had had here about male/female roles, color in dreams and ageism.

Why argyle? Didn't suit me. But I shrugged and chose to wear it. Interesting thought.

Are amusing dreams ever just reports to me of the short-hand the "me" in my brain takes during the last several days and INFP-like combines them into a whole?

Why? Emotional content which needs expression? Or just a brain hiccup?

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I dreamt my apples wouldn't stay in their basket, somewhere during the last week.
Pesky apples.