• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your Own Voice

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
So take your first hesitant step now, never write about anything, rather fully live your writing and your writing will be fully alive.

This remind me this quote: "Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart" by William Wordsworth.

Superb thread.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The normal voice is for those who have not yet discovered their own voice. So they must speak like everyone else. The normal voice is voice you are having when you are not having your own voice.

Well, the first thing is knowing others have discovered their own voices and so it is possible for us too.

Perhaps the second thing is to read those who speak in their own voice. But how will we recognise them? Well, we will probably fall in love with them.

At first we will be tempted to imitate them, and perhaps we will for a while, but after a while we will be tempted to cut our heart on the high seas and set sail in our own barque.

Could being immersed in reading others obstruct finding one's voice, though? I believe in finding ones own voice especially with the help of sustained concentration in writing. But lately I've been pondering the role solitude plays in that process. And in my own life.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can see two dangers. You will keep on looking rather than doing it now. And the second danger is that you will write about it rather than writing it.

If you start now, you will be awkward and embarrassed like a goony bird trying to take off. But every hesitant step you take will teach you something about yourself.

And it is a real trap to write about something, rather you should be something, you should be something in your writing. If you have the courage to fully imagine something, your readers will be able to imagine it too.

So take your first hesitant step now, never write about anything, rather fully live your writing and your writing will be fully alive.
I've become aware of a fear trying to do it the way you tell me. It would make me slightly nervous and before I would finish what I'd write I'd retreat using the simple backspace key. And I've tried a few more times but it seems I might have to take this within the smallest steps and give out little by little like entering a cold swimming pool with a larger abundance of small sufferings over time then with one big cold jump.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
But I don't have just one or two voices, I have hundreds of different voices. Every moment calls for a slightly different tone. Then is it my own voice to have so many voices? Does my own voice have to stick to being any one thing?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am afraid my Own Voice would be deemed Normal Voice by those who think Own Voice must be of a limited range of actualization/embodiment/expression.

Mole

Permabanned
My swimming pool

I've become aware of a fear trying to do it the way you tell me. It would make me slightly nervous and before I would finish what I'd write I'd retreat using the simple backspace key. And I've tried a few more times but it seems I might have to take this within the smallest steps and give out little by little like entering a cold swimming pool with a larger abundance of small sufferings over time then with one big cold jump.

This is my swmming pool and I always enter step by step -

http://www.frothers.com.au/gallery.php?id=33&pagenum=2

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I should try doing a Victor voice.. I wonder what kinds of things I would type. Oh the things I could be, but what would I be? The Victor voice shapes those around it into its own conception, it corrals and it shepherds like herdsman with giant soft nerf bats. It doesn't listen, it tells as it enfolds and encapsulates and warmly stifles. I can feel why someone would want to use the Victor voice.

Mole

Permabanned
I should try doing a Victor voice.. I wonder what kinds of things I would type. Oh the things I could be, but what would I be? The Victor voice shapes those around it into its own conception, it corrals and it shepherds like herdsman with giant soft nerf bats. It doesn't listen, it tells as it enfolds and encapsulates and warmly stifles. I can feel why someone would want to use the Victor voice.

Particularly Victor.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Interesting. But wouldn't the normal voice be an average depiction of all voices reshaped and edited into the most accepted standard, so that all individuals would be able to feel a common ground. A home among all others. Perhaps the peace inside versus the peace on the outside. What would be better?

The "average" is only one figure - one voice that takes into account everyone's voice, but itself is ultimately different. Among all contributing voices, ay sort of deviation will be noted and VAPORIZED.

Kind of like:

2 488 73 94 8 1000

Average = 277.5

The others have wild variances that will be immediately seen as different from the "average" - it's kind of like a bunch of different colors getting mixed up into a yet-different combined color.

People consider individuality and normal to be mutually exclusive, but if people could realize that everyone's individuality is what created the normal, it'd be more accepted.

er. OR something like that. I need to eat, because this came out weird.

Mole

Permabanned
The Judas Kiss

The "average" is only one figure - one voice that takes into account everyone's voice, but itself is ultimately different. Among all contributing voices, ay sort of deviation will be noted and VAPORIZED.

Kind of like:

2 488 73 94 8 1000

Average = 277.5

The others have wild variances that will be immediately seen as different from the "average" - it's kind of like a bunch of different colors getting mixed up into a yet-different combined color.

People consider individuality and normal to be mutually exclusive, but if people could realize that everyone's individuality is what created the normal, it'd be more accepted.

Our own voice is existential. It comes from our very existence.

And if we don't have an existential voice, we must steal one from others.

And we steal a voice with the Judas kiss - "you took the words right out of my mouth, it must have been while you were kissing me".

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Our own voice is existential. It comes from our very existence.

And if we don't have an existential voice, we must steal one from others.

And we steal a voice with the Judas kiss - "you took the words right out of my mouth, it must have been while you were kissing me".

There just can't be true originality. When we're limited by rules of language, the variety of letters and words to create concepts out of, we stand a very good chance of saying something that has been said, or will be said by someone else. In fact, I'd argue that even our thoughts are limited by language. Or maybe not, but our identification of our thoughts and translation into an actual message, whether to ourselves or to others, depends on our vehicle of communication - the person's language.

That's why some things said in one language can be very difficult to translate in another language. The concept just can't be articulated.

And it's up to interpretation as well - listening is half of the equation, and if the listener can't pick up the nuances in the meaning of what was said, the original thought may as well not even have been expressed. It's like that old "if the tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it..." conundrum.

Little_Sticks

If someone isn't listening, are they always telling at the same time?
Or in another question, can one listen and tell at the same time?

Mole

Permabanned
Preposterous

if the tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it

If we can't hear abstractions, then we won't hear the tree fall in the forest.

If we can't taste the relationship between the particular and the abstract, the world remains opaque.

And mathmatics tells us that there is always an abstaction above our present abstraction. In other words abstractions are infinite. We will never run out of abstractions. Our originality can never be limited by abstractions.

For instance, the content of television is the theatre. In this case theatre is the particular, and television is the abstract. And this is true of all media. Media are like Russian dolls, one nestled inside the other. In other words the media are a hierachy of abstractions.

However if you have been inculturated in a one dimensional culture, this will be difficult to see, and will seem preposterous.