• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your Own Voice

Mole

Permabanned
The medium is the message. And the medium here is the normal voice.

The normal voice is found in every mouth. It is promiscuous. It is infectious. And let's face it - it's dirty.

The normal voice is for those who have not yet discovered their own voice. So they must speak like everyone else. The normal voice is voice you are having when you are not having your own voice.

But worse, the normal voice is threatened by those who have discovered their own voice. So those who don't speak in the normal voice are met by personal insults. And even worse, they are met by group bullying.

It doesn't matter so much what you say, it is how you say it. And the whole world, it seems, speaks in the same way - the normal voice. And the voice police are always watching to make sure you don't discover your own voice.

And what they won't tell you is that each word brings its own satisfaction spoken in your own voice.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The medium is the message. And the medium here is the normal voice.

The normal voice is found in every mouth. It is promiscuous. It is infectious. And let's face it - it's dirty.

The normal voice is for those who have not yet discovered their own voice. So they must speak like everyone else. The normal voice is voice you are having when you are not having your own voice.

But worse, the normal voice is threatened by those who have discovered their own voice. So those who don't speak in the normal voice are met by personal insults. And even worse, they are met by group bullying.

It doesn't matter so much what you say, it is how you say it. And the whole world, it seems, speaks in the same way - the normal voice. And the voice police are always watching to make sure you don't discover your own voice.

And what they won't tell you is that each word brings its own satisfaction spoken in your own voice.

What if you're the first person who made the normal voice? It was your voice, and everybody followed? (Pictures everybody speaking like Victor all of a sudden.)

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Interesting. But wouldn't the normal voice be an average depiction of all voices reshaped and edited into the most accepted standard, so that all individuals would be able to feel a common ground. A home among all others. Perhaps the peace inside versus the peace on the outside. What would be better?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That sounds pretty good, Oaky. I mean, as I think about it, there is no such thing as a "normal" voice per se... it's simply a dialogue of common ground where a myriad number of voices can understand and be understood.

Mole

Permabanned
Ah, you see, you betray yourself every time you open your mouth.

You speak in logic, you speak in reason, but everything you say is in the normal voice.

I can smell the normal voice on your breath and taste it on your tongue.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
taste my dirty, promiscuous voice, victor. let me infect you.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How would we discover our own voices?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
*breaks out in a glossolalia episode and starts foaming at the mouth*

Mole

Permabanned
How would we discover our own voices?

What a good question and how difficult to answer.

Perhaps if we look what stands in the way.

Well, the first thing is knowing others have discovered their own voices and so it is possible for us too.

Perhaps the second thing is to read those who speak in their own voice. But how will we recognise them? Well, we will probably fall in love with them.

At first we will be tempted to imitate them, and perhaps we will for a while, but after a while we will be tempted to cut our heart on the high seas and set sail in our own barque.

But when the seas get rough we will always be tempted to put back into port and conformity.

So our best hope is developing a taste for pelagic fish, so will go out again and again onto the high seas. looking for that satisfaction that can only come from our own words.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What a good question and how difficult to answer.

Perhaps if we look what stands in the way.

Well, the first thing is knowing others have discovered their own voices and so it is possible for us too.

Perhaps the second thing is to read those who speak in their own voice. But how will we recognise them? Well, we will probably fall in love with them.

At first we will be tempted to imitate them, and perhaps we will for a while, but after a while we will be tempted to cut our heart on the high seas and set sail in our own barque.

But when the seas get rough we will always be tempted to put back into port and conformity.

So our best hope is developing a taste for pelagic fish, so will go out again and again onto the high seas. looking for that satisfaction that can only come from our own words.
I haven't found many people in the recent times that I find myself coming to love. But maybe I'm losing awareness of the people around me and that is why. But you are using your own voice. Would imitating you help us in it?

Mole

Permabanned
I haven't found many people in the recent times that I find myself coming to love. But maybe I'm losing awareness of the people around me and that is why. But you are using your own voice. Would imitating you help us in it?

There was a thread called Let's Imitate Victor. And quite a few gave it a go. Sometimes they could get my ideas and sometimes they could get tone and form, but not both together. The best were a funny parody.

So imitating me won't help.

I write for my own satisfaction, for my own pleasure, and part of that pleasure is interacting with you.

So find what it is you most deeply want and write it.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=3325]Victor[/MENTION] I understand. I will not try to imitate you then. At the current moment I want to know what I want and so I'm guessing that will be an immediate place to begin. I'm going to have to search.

Mole

Permabanned
[MENTION=3325]Victor[/MENTION] I understand. I will not try to imitate you then. At the current moment I want to know what I want and so I'm guessing that will be an immediate place to begin. I'm going to have to search.

Yes it is an interesting search to find out what we want. Most of the time we are conscious of what we should want, and what we want goes begging. But often what we want is a pleasure and a surprise.

And at the surprise we catch our breath then breathe deeply and easily.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It does sound very exciting. Whether it takes a long or short time, I'll remain positive to find it, and when I do I'll write about it.

Mole

Permabanned
Fully Alive

It does sound very exciting. Whether it takes a long or short time, I'll remain positive to find it, and when I do I'll write about it.

I can see two dangers. You will keep on looking rather than doing it now. And the second danger is that you will write about it rather than writing it.

If you start now, you will be awkward and embarrassed like a goony bird trying to take off. But every hesitant step you take will teach you something about yourself.

And it is a real trap to write about something, rather you should be something, you should be something in your writing. If you have the courage to fully imagine something, your readers will be able to imagine it too.

So take your first hesitant step now, never write about anything, rather fully live your writing and your writing will be fully alive.