User Tag List

First 234

Results 31 to 35 of 35

Thread: Your Own Voice

  1. #31
    Aquaria mrcockburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    Interesting. But wouldn't the normal voice be an average depiction of all voices reshaped and edited into the most accepted standard, so that all individuals would be able to feel a common ground. A home among all others. Perhaps the peace inside versus the peace on the outside. What would be better?
    The "average" is only one figure - one voice that takes into account everyone's voice, but itself is ultimately different. Among all contributing voices, ay sort of deviation will be noted and VAPORIZED.

    Kind of like:

    2 488 73 94 8 1000

    Average = 277.5

    The others have wild variances that will be immediately seen as different from the "average" - it's kind of like a bunch of different colors getting mixed up into a yet-different combined color.

    People consider individuality and normal to be mutually exclusive, but if people could realize that everyone's individuality is what created the normal, it'd be more accepted.

    er. OR something like that. I need to eat, because this came out weird.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

    COCKBURN:

    http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg


  2. #32
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,545

    The Judas Kiss

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    The "average" is only one figure - one voice that takes into account everyone's voice, but itself is ultimately different. Among all contributing voices, ay sort of deviation will be noted and VAPORIZED.

    Kind of like:

    2 488 73 94 8 1000

    Average = 277.5

    The others have wild variances that will be immediately seen as different from the "average" - it's kind of like a bunch of different colors getting mixed up into a yet-different combined color.

    People consider individuality and normal to be mutually exclusive, but if people could realize that everyone's individuality is what created the normal, it'd be more accepted.
    Our own voice is existential. It comes from our very existence.

    And if we don't have an existential voice, we must steal one from others.

    And we steal a voice with the Judas kiss - "you took the words right out of my mouth, it must have been while you were kissing me".

  3. #33
    Aquaria mrcockburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Our own voice is existential. It comes from our very existence.

    And if we don't have an existential voice, we must steal one from others.

    And we steal a voice with the Judas kiss - "you took the words right out of my mouth, it must have been while you were kissing me".
    There just can't be true originality. When we're limited by rules of language, the variety of letters and words to create concepts out of, we stand a very good chance of saying something that has been said, or will be said by someone else. In fact, I'd argue that even our thoughts are limited by language. Or maybe not, but our identification of our thoughts and translation into an actual message, whether to ourselves or to others, depends on our vehicle of communication - the person's language.

    That's why some things said in one language can be very difficult to translate in another language. The concept just can't be articulated.

    And it's up to interpretation as well - listening is half of the equation, and if the listener can't pick up the nuances in the meaning of what was said, the original thought may as well not even have been expressed. It's like that old "if the tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it..." conundrum.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

    COCKBURN:

    http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg


  4. #34
    Senior Member Little_Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I should try doing a Victor voice.. I wonder what kinds of things I would type. Oh the things I could be, but what would I be? The Victor voice shapes those around it into its own conception, it corrals and it shepherds like herdsman with giant soft nerf bats. It doesn't listen, it tells as it enfolds and encapsulates and warmly stifles. I can feel why someone would want to use the Victor voice.
    If someone isn't listening, are they always telling at the same time?
    Or in another question, can one listen and tell at the same time?

  5. #35
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,545

    Smile Preposterous

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    if the tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it
    If we can't hear abstractions, then we won't hear the tree fall in the forest.

    If we can't taste the relationship between the particular and the abstract, the world remains opaque.

    And mathmatics tells us that there is always an abstaction above our present abstraction. In other words abstractions are infinite. We will never run out of abstractions. Our originality can never be limited by abstractions.

    For instance, the content of television is the theatre. In this case theatre is the particular, and television is the abstract. And this is true of all media. Media are like Russian dolls, one nestled inside the other. In other words the media are a hierachy of abstractions.

    However if you have been inculturated in a one dimensional culture, this will be difficult to see, and will seem preposterous.

Similar Threads

  1. Listening to your own voice.
    By Rail Tracer in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-15-2015, 08:46 AM
  2. Write your own personal ad
    By proteanmix in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-26-2014, 04:04 PM
  3. Do You Post In Your Own 'Voice' ?
    By Gloriana in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 04-01-2011, 12:43 AM
  4. Post Your Own Voice
    By stigmatica in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 182
    Last Post: 03-27-2011, 09:42 AM
  5. Design Your Own Cognitive Process Character
    By ygolo in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-09-2007, 12:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO