User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Your Own Voice

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    How would we discover our own voices?
    What a good question and how difficult to answer.

Perhaps if we look what stands in the way.

Well, the first thing is knowing others have discovered their own voices and so it is possible for us too.

Perhaps the second thing is to read those who speak in their own voice. But how will we recognise them? Well, we will probably fall in love with them.

At first we will be tempted to imitate them, and perhaps we will for a while, but after a while we will be tempted to cut our heart on the high seas and set sail in our own barque.

But when the seas get rough we will always be tempted to put back into port and conformity.

So our best hope is developing a taste for pelagic fish, so will go out again and again onto the high seas. looking for that satisfaction that can only come from our own words.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    What a good question and how difficult to answer.

Perhaps if we look what stands in the way.

Well, the first thing is knowing others have discovered their own voices and so it is possible for us too.

Perhaps the second thing is to read those who speak in their own voice. But how will we recognise them? Well, we will probably fall in love with them.

At first we will be tempted to imitate them, and perhaps we will for a while, but after a while we will be tempted to cut our heart on the high seas and set sail in our own barque.

But when the seas get rough we will always be tempted to put back into port and conformity.

So our best hope is developing a taste for pelagic fish, so will go out again and again onto the high seas. looking for that satisfaction that can only come from our own words.
    I haven't found many people in the recent times that I find myself coming to love. But maybe I'm losing awareness of the people around me and that is why. But you are using your own voice. Would imitating you help us in it?

Ginkgo

What if my own real voice silences yours?

I haven't found many people in the recent times that I find myself coming to love. But maybe I'm losing awareness of the people around me and that is why. But you are using your own voice. Would imitating you help us in it?
    There was a thread called Let's Imitate Victor. And quite a few gave it a go. Sometimes they could get my ideas and sometimes they could get tone and form, but not both together. The best were a funny parody.

So imitating me won't help.

I write for my own satisfaction, for my own pleasure, and part of that pleasure is interacting with you.

So find what it is you most deeply want and write it.

Smile Lost for Words

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    What if my own real voice silences yours?
    The greatest compliment I could pay you would be being lost for words.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The greatest compliment I could pay you would be being lost for words.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

@Victor I understand. I will not try to imitate you then. At the current moment I want to know what I want and so I'm guessing that will be an immediate place to begin. I'm going to have to search.

@Victor I understand. I will not try to imitate you then. At the current moment I want to know what I want and so I'm guessing that will be an immediate place to begin. I'm going to have to search.
    Yes it is an interesting search to find out what we want. Most of the time we are conscious of what we should want, and what we want goes begging. But often what we want is a pleasure and a surprise.

And at the surprise we catch our breath then breathe deeply and easily.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

It does sound very exciting. Whether it takes a long or short time, I'll remain positive to find it, and when I do I'll write about it.

Smile Fully Alive

It does sound very exciting. Whether it takes a long or short time, I'll remain positive to find it, and when I do I'll write about it.
    I can see two dangers. You will keep on looking rather than doing it now. And the second danger is that you will write about it rather than writing it.

If you start now, you will be awkward and embarrassed like a goony bird trying to take off. But every hesitant step you take will teach you something about yourself.

And it is a real trap to write about something, rather you should be something, you should be something in your writing. If you have the courage to fully imagine something, your readers will be able to imagine it too.

So take your first hesitant step now, never write about anything, rather fully live your writing and your writing will be fully alive.