User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Default Positive Money Thoughts

Have you ever tried the technique that some self-help books suggest, where you speak something (like "I am going to be very rich."), and then you see that come true in your life?

It seems to me like it wouldn't work, and is just wishful thinking, but I was wondering if anyone had seriously tried it. Did it work for you?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Lily flower View Post
    Have you ever tried the technique that some self-help books suggest, where you speak something (like "I am going to be very rich."), and then you see that come true in your life?

It seems to me like it wouldn't work, and is just wishful thinking, but I was wondering if anyone had seriously tried it. Did it work for you?
    Yes- (a little bit.) I've tried it. Too bad I'm too lazy to keep going, but I really should. Why? Because I got a huge tax return and my (full) raise two months early during the affirmations. There was a couple of other things at the time that made me say, "wow, maybe there's something to this..." But then I stopped. I tried to enhance the affirmations by putting myself into a hypnotic, or at least deeply relaxed state and listening to the affirmations on headphones a personal belief that it could help with the sinkage of the information into the subconscious. I love messing around with that stuff.

If anything, I do think for sure it helped me focus on money matters more, consciously and subconsciously so my financial plan got more solid and I stopped spending a lot of excess money- and that's had a more lasting effect.

Edit: Oh, also, the proper way is actually not- "I'm going to be very rich," but, "I am very rich." Or "Money comes into my life easily", since it is believed that the subconscious takes everything very literally. If you put the goal in the future, the subconscious will leave it in the future.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Well, I think the principle is simply that if you actually reach internal resolution and WANT something enough, then you can make it happen - within reason, of course.

I mean, the act of just saying something without actually believing it and being in that mental place where you will start working towards it isn't going to do a whole lot. But if you believe you can do something/achieve something, the act of saying it -- making it all the more real & tangible by declaring it/verbalizing it -- can add more power to the resolution. Because you believe in it enough to actually say it, and by externalizing it in some way, then you might hold to it more readily, and follow through - esp. if you know others might be holding you accountable or you want to show others you will/can do it.

The other side of this is that for me, at least, sometimes choosing how I want to view things can make a big difference. Power of positivity and all of that. Focusing on positives, not as much on the negatives, even if both could be equal weight in reality. Where do you want to direct your energy?
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

There is wishful thinking, and there is possibility.

Saying that you're going to be rich is wishful thinking.
    Saying that there is a chance that you might be rich is a possibility.

The difference?
    The first is begging to be hit hard. It leaves no room for errors.
    The second? Not so hard. It is saying that because you know it is only a possibility, you won't give all your hopes onto it.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Yes... I've practiced this a few times. And it seems to have usually worked. Somehow....

But yeah, usually stuff like, big tips at work, or a larger tax refund, or random people would start paying me back for money I forgot they owed me, would occur.

I feel like it's also more of a perceptual change than anything. But I never looked too much into it.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

You know why this works? Because people are either psychologically self-defeating or self-promoting; if you believe you have bad luck YOU WILL.

If you think you don't deserve to have money, you won't.

MBTI
    INTP

A positive approach to anything helps but it has its limitations: if wishes were horses than beggars would ride.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Beliefs affect behaviour, even in imperceptible ways. So I wouldn't be surprised if this has made a difference for some people.

I remember a study where they had university women join what was supposed to be a "weight loss study". They were told that doing particular mental exercises would burn enough calories to help them lose weight (which was bullshit, but they didn't know this). In the end, they'd actually lost several pounds, while a control group hadn't lost any. Believing they were doing something that would help them lose weight made them feel positive about their chances of doing so, and apparently this changed their behaviour throughout the rest of the day enough to actually lose a few pounds by the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    You know why this works? Because people are either psychologically self-defeating or self-promoting; if you believe you have bad luck YOU WILL.

If you think you don't deserve to have money, you won't.
    I tend to tell people that I'm just lucky. Their answer? Luck is based not on what I hoped for, but on what I do to get it

If someone wants to be rich, they have to work themselves to be rich (or to be able to find ways that is yet to be discovered to be rich.) If someone wants a good grade, the person has to know how to receive information from the class to get a good grade.

Luck and positive thoughts only bring you so far.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

if this kind of thing works, then what you set your mind to was way too easy.

let's not even mention how it clearly promotes selective memory i.e. i'll start paying attention to how-if i am getting richer
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp