User Tag List

12 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Post Ne, how you sort information?

I've thought a bit of how to arrange for all my little projects, with a mixed success with every method. My main task is that of remembering every part of some task, while remembering other tasks and tangents as well. Sometimes I lose the sight on what's interesting to me.

• Self-made how-to guides: I follow my own advice just ok, so it works But a guide is just on one topic, so there's still problems.
    • To-do lists: these tend to skip the motivation phase, so I tend not to be motivated to follow my own to-do lists. I tend to lose these lists if there's a lot of time between making the list and doing the tasks.
    • Mind maps: These seem to work a lot like my mind does, but I'd have to make them huge to account for everything that comes into my mind. I don't know how I could tie individual mind maps together.
    • Schedules: Ok for keeping track of time spent to some task, and remembering some absolute times. Bad when the schedules change, makes me abandon them alltogether. Moreover, schedules have to be kept track of, physically.
    • Interlinked www documents: I did these for a while, and it worked absolutely great! I was able to make tables of contents, different lists, prose, multimedia, all linked together. I found it a tiring task to maintain the links tho.
    • Wiki software running on my own computer: Never tried, I'll want to! Editing the individually created documents is very easy with MediaWiki software, and the interlinking works great, too. I don't remember what's everything that needs to be set up for Wiki to work.
    • Self-written papers stored in file cabinets: These are fun to do. It's easy to write drawings, texts, pictures.. and connect them all. It's in easily accessible form. But it's hard to maintain an index of the topics, with the different topics varying immensely in length, sometimes needing just 1 page, sometimes 80 pages.
    • Individual documents spread out on the hard drive: This is what I've done so far, too, and I hardly ever find my old documents again. The names I write aren't descriptive enough.. good name would be like 80 characters. The directories become easily cluttered.
    • Notes on a bulletin board: they work for a while until I run out of space. I also don't like for some of the stuff being visible to others. Perhaps I could make a big bulleting board, like 6'x4', and make a curtain over it

So, what's worked out for you the best?

edit: on the amount of information I produce, it's about 2-6 pages of text on a word processor each day for about 10 years, and 2-4 pages of drawings, text and such on paper.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

So, what's worked out for you the best?

Nothing so far.

I'm on never ending mission to find a good sorting style for myself. I have tried almost everything and nothing has really worked well so far.

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

I just generally jot things down on whatever piece of paper is nearest to me at the time - I'm sure to always carry a notepad or something wherever I go. Because things tend to come to me when I'm not expecting it and something easy and portable is super-useful.

As far as using what I've written down - as long as I keep all my scraps of paper in a similar spot (in my case they all get piled on the side of my desk), I can look through them when I need to recall something. As long as I cross things out and throw the paper out once I've done everything on the list, then it stays reasonably in order. Of course, with the amount of paper you go through, it seems like something like that would get out of hand very quickly. Maybe there's some way to adapt that?

But it requires very little organisation = bonus because unless my Te is awake (which is rarely), I struggle to organise things regularly. And of course, that's less useful when you need to remember schedules/times...

Otherwise I have a calender (and a diary) which I write down major things that I need to remember in... although I don't use it as a reference very much, I forget.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    INXP

Learn to access your SJ, if you don't have it. It gets easier with age...

Me, I use to-do lists at work where I have lots of jobs on the go. These are computerised task oriented lists, sorted by importance, client name, deadline etc. It keeps me sane, because it's less effort than coping with the consequences of being disorganised.

MBTI
    ENTJ

I just installed MediaWiki, whee!

Ne, how you sort information?-mwiki-png

I just can't wait to get to write everything I write in there It has to be the most easily usable platform to write incredible amounts of information on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

Um, how big are your projects? That sounds, uh complicated.

I'm Ti dom, not Ne dom, but still... At home, I'm pretty disorganised. There's a filing system of sorts for bills and receipts, but that's about it. Bills get stuck on the fridge with a magnet so they get paid on time.

I'm a bit more organised at work, but not much. Things are out of sight, out of mind for me, so urgent to do stuff needs lots of notes left in inconvenient places or stuck up around my cubicle with key dates highlighted.

In terms of sorting stuff, it shifts all the time. I have yet to find a bluebell-proof system that won't break down when I'm super busy. I quite like intrays with bits sorted in plastic sheets for each project/task. Trouble is, I forget to look at them. Ring binders can work too, with those sticky flag things to make it easier to find stuff. Works well for reference documents that I'm always looking up.

Electronic filing - totally messy at home (my desktop is covered with icons). But at work, it's a shared drive, so things are somewhat organised. Have you tried trees? Gets around the need for long titles, and it's easy to navigate. Folders with subfolders and sub-subfolders and sub-sub-subfolders blah blah blah.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Learn to access your SJ, if you don't have it. It gets easier with age...
    This SJ is more or less incompatible with my thought processes, so that the smartest filing systems will fail when I have to input some Ne data. I've written lists, descriptions and all SJ stuff alright, no problem there. The problem is the lack of applicability to the data in hand.

Anyways I'm trying that MediaWiki software, it supports writing, linking, categorizing and changing everything so well.. oh my god, this is the best thing I've done in this area in years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

A file cabinet.
    Keep the type of important document written on the little flap that comes up, so you can quickly find the file and deposit the document in the appropriate folder.

I don't do this all at once, but nothing ever gets lost, 'cause I never put any important things in places I wouldn't look -- they always end up on my desk, which I clean up once I notice there are too many important documents getting soda spilled on them. Stack 'em up and drop 'em in. Doesn't take long either. Pay stubs in one folder, bank slips in another. Tax returns in another. It's pretty easy.

I don't need to keep a schedule of what my weekend forecast is. I keep it in my head pretty well. No need for a calendar. But I intentionally avoid planning too far into the future, 'cause I know I'll forget that shit. Also, I ask whoever my correspondence is to remind me at some point. Most anyone who I'll be spending time with knows me well enough to know that it's not because I don't like them, I just honestly forget, so they have no problems letting me know a few days in advance, and then I keep track of it.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTJ

I'll have to get a file cabinet too - so far I just arrange my papers in these, but I have to make holes in the papers for them to be archived, which doesn't suit my workflow. What's the english word for these?

I have 5 feet wide bookshelf filled with those at the moment. It's hard to find anything in there tho, even tho I've tried arranging them well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

heart on fire

No matter what system I try to use, I still manage to get too random. It is very hard for me to remain organized.