• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Couch and Free Association

Mole

Permabanned
We lie on the Freudian couch and free associate. But most important, we lie on the Freudian couch as individuals and free associate. And even more important, we lie on the Freudian couch as literate individuals and free associate.

But on Central we lie on the electronic couch, the ecouch, and free associate. And we lie on our electronic couch as a group and free associate. We lie on our electronic couch as an electronic group and free associate. And more, we lie on our electronic couch as an electronic group free associating in the global village.

And all of us are literate and have been schooled to make our interpretations on an individual basis, but Central only makes sense if we make our interpretations on a group basis.

Jaguar

2007-06-26TomCruise.jpg

Mole

Permabanned
The ecouch

Yes, dear Jaguar, this is the perfect example of the electronic couch.

We perceive the couch electronically through the electronic medium of television.

The host, Oprah, has abandoned her private individuality and puts aside her psychological defences and shares the most intimate parts of her life with the electronic audience.

And Tom, her guest, seeks to imitate his host by putting aside his defences and expressing his feelings without let or hinderance.

But note, both of them have presence in the electronic media.

And all this is happening instantanteously for millions and millions in the global village.

So always remember, the medium is the message.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I sit on my couch as a literate individual and freely associate you with Luna Lovegood and her nargles... who'll you'll probably mention is an electronic LazEboy... and i will nod... and back away...

Mole

Permabanned
Humpty Dumpty on the Electronic Couch

I sit on my couch as a literate individual and freely associate you with Luna Lovegood and her nargles... who'll you'll probably mention is an electronic LazEboy... and i will nod... and back away...

What is interesting is that we think by association. In fact most of our conversations are associative. It is only afterwards that we put it in logical order.

And of course that is what we do largely here - we think associatively but pretend we are logical.

So Central really is the electronic couch, where we all freely associate.

The advantage of freely associating is that we can integrate the various parts of our personality.

Many of us are dissassociated. We are divided selves. And freely associating here on Central helps to put us back together again.

Humpty Dumpty had a great fall, and all the kings horses and all the kings men couldn't put Humpty together again. Until Humpty discovered Central and came here every day and slowly put himself back together again.

Hurrah!