• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Need Advice - Low Energy

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I need some advice or perhaps just a good laugh.

Overall I am a low energy person however I am also very ambitious, motivated, outgoing, etc.

Occasionally, such as today, I get very tired and don't accomplish the things I was supposed to accomplish (i.e.: go to the bank, finish a lab assignment, prepare for an important meeting, etc.) and thus become angry at myself and then depressed.

I have no history of physical or mental disease and am for the most part a decent, successful guy.

So I am wondering why do I have these feelings? Is it just me or is this normal?

skip

MBTI Type
INTP
What are you eating and what exercise do you do?

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't know... you don't give your type but I'm prone to what you describe. I do it because I find whatever task is involved boring.. in most cases its drudgery that makes me procrastinate but, in other cases, its because I don't want to deal with stress the task will cause... like TAXES! I can't say I get really depressed about it... that probably depends on the degree to which you beat yourself up over it. I used to though... now I just accept that that's the way I am. I'll get er done... just in my own time. I have other times when I'm an absolute dynamo tackling all the things I've put off the last 6 months or year in an single day or week. Its just my pattern.

Edit: I just did it today... should have gotten prescriptions filled but after dealing with idiots at Walgreens and walking out without them, I didn't want to deal with more idiots at the next stop so just came home... exhausted.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
My eating habits range from really poor (i.e.: hamburgers and steak) to very good (i.e.: bran muffins, grilled chicken, vegetables).

Although about ten years ago, when I was sixteen, I used to exercise regularly now I don't. Currently about the only exercise I get is when I take the stairs in lieu of the elevator at work. I would like to exercise but I do not have the time.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I don't know... you don't give your type but I'm prone to what you describe. I do it because I find whatever task is involved boring.. in most cases its drudgery that makes me procrastinate but, in other cases, its because I don't want to deal with stress the task will cause... like TAXES! I can't say I get really depressed about it... that probably depends on the degree to which you beat yourself up over it. I used to though... now I just accept that that's the way I am. I'll get er done... just in my own time. I have other times when I'm an absolute dynamo tackling all the things I've put off the last 6 months or year in an single day or week. Its just my pattern.

The whole business of my type became very messy. So I decided it would be prudent to omit it until I am certain that I know what it is.

No to make light of your situation but I finished my taxes during the first week of February.

Also, my depressed state of mind is mostly a result of not accomplishing any tasks, boring or otherwise.

Last edited:

heart

heart on fire
I have no history of physical or mental disease and am for the most part a decent, successful guy.

Many decent people have problems with physical energy, I am not getting the connection. :huh:

I would first look at basic diet and vitamins, staying hydrated, things like that.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Many decent people have problems with physical energy, I am not getting the connection. :huh:

I would first look at basic diet and vitamins, staying hydrated, things like that.

Sorry about that. I did not mean to imply that if you are not a decent person then you will have problems with energy. I simply stated those facts to provide the forum members with some background information.

Good point about the vitamins. I do not nor have I ever taken any form of vitamin pills. That might be a good start.

Hydration I have covered, I think I drink more tea per day than all the people in Europe and Asia combined.

Last edited:

heart

heart on fire
Magnesium is supposed to be something lacking in western diets that affects energy, you might read about the effects of magnesium and potassium on energy.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I appreciate your advice and will definitely research magnesium and potassium.

Nevertheless my concern lies with the psychological effects low energy has on me. I am wondering why can't I just relax and not get upset because I didn't accomplish a bunch of arbitrary tasks?

heart

heart on fire
Forgive me, I thought you really had a problem with low energy, believe me, if you did it would the primary focus of your life to gain more of it. ;) Now I see you are just not as super human as you think you should be as decent person? ;)

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
What's the sunlight like on low days.. maybe you have SAD?

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
That's correct. I just get worn down frequently and consequently get angry and depressed. Maybe I should not dwell on these feeling and just accept them as part of life.

heart

heart on fire
If you actually have energy to be so busy, maybe you take on too much and you are frazzled by it? i.e. human being with limits.

I actually have very low physical energy and I am never busy, I can't be. So many people tell me "Oh yeah, I have that too" and I think, no you don't, you are constantly in motion, how could you possibly have low physical energy?

skip

MBTI Type
INTP
I would like to exercise but I do not have the time.
You will never have more or less time. Energy begets energy. If you want energy, make time to exercise. Exercise will also help your sleep patterns and reduce some of that stress and anger.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
You will never have more or less time. Energy begets energy. If you want energy, make time to exercise. Exercise will also help your sleep patterns and reduce some of that stress and anger.

That is good advice. Perhaps after this semester over I will be able to work some exercise into my schedule.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
If you actually have energy to be so busy, maybe you take on too much and you are frazzled by it? i.e. human being with limits.

I actually have very low physical energy and I am never busy, I can't be. So many people tell me "Oh yeah, I have that too" and I think, no you don't, you are constantly in motion, how could you possibly have low physical energy?

I wouldn't argue that point for a second. And I do apologize if I am being unrealistic.

I suppose it is all relative. What is a major issue for me might be a minor one for someone whose suffering is far worse than mine.

As for the first part of your post, you hit the proverbial nail on the head. My problem is not necessarily with my energy level but rather it is with the feelings my energy level creates. Although I probably take on more than I should, not doing so would also make me feel depressed. However, taking on these responsibilities and not fulfilling them also makes me feel depressed. It's a catch-22 of a sort.