User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    xNTP

Default Need Advice - Low Energy

I need some advice or perhaps just a good laugh.

Overall I am a low energy person however I am also very ambitious, motivated, outgoing, etc.

Occasionally, such as today, I get very tired and don't accomplish the things I was supposed to accomplish (i.e.: go to the bank, finish a lab assignment, prepare for an important meeting, etc.) and thus become angry at myself and then depressed.

I have no history of physical or mental disease and am for the most part a decent, successful guy.

So I am wondering why do I have these feelings? Is it just me or is this normal?

MBTI
    INTP

What are you eating and what exercise do you do?

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I don't know... you don't give your type but I'm prone to what you describe. I do it because I find whatever task is involved boring.. in most cases its drudgery that makes me procrastinate but, in other cases, its because I don't want to deal with stress the task will cause... like TAXES! I can't say I get really depressed about it... that probably depends on the degree to which you beat yourself up over it. I used to though... now I just accept that that's the way I am. I'll get er done... just in my own time. I have other times when I'm an absolute dynamo tackling all the things I've put off the last 6 months or year in an single day or week. Its just my pattern.

Edit: I just did it today... should have gotten prescriptions filled but after dealing with idiots at Walgreens and walking out without them, I didn't want to deal with more idiots at the next stop so just came home... exhausted.

MBTI
    xNTP

My eating habits range from really poor (i.e.: hamburgers and steak) to very good (i.e.: bran muffins, grilled chicken, vegetables).

Although about ten years ago, when I was sixteen, I used to exercise regularly now I don't. Currently about the only exercise I get is when I take the stairs in lieu of the elevator at work. I would like to exercise but I do not have the time.

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    I don't know... you don't give your type but I'm prone to what you describe. I do it because I find whatever task is involved boring.. in most cases its drudgery that makes me procrastinate but, in other cases, its because I don't want to deal with stress the task will cause... like TAXES! I can't say I get really depressed about it... that probably depends on the degree to which you beat yourself up over it. I used to though... now I just accept that that's the way I am. I'll get er done... just in my own time. I have other times when I'm an absolute dynamo tackling all the things I've put off the last 6 months or year in an single day or week. Its just my pattern.
    The whole business of my type became very messy. So I decided it would be prudent to omit it until I am certain that I know what it is.

No to make light of your situation but I finished my taxes during the first week of February.

Also, my depressed state of mind is mostly a result of not accomplishing any tasks, boring or otherwise.
    Last edited by JustDave; 04-03-2008 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Addition.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    I have no history of physical or mental disease and am for the most part a decent, successful guy.

Many decent people have problems with physical energy, I am not getting the connection.

I would first look at basic diet and vitamins, staying hydrated, things like that.

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Many decent people have problems with physical energy, I am not getting the connection.

I would first look at basic diet and vitamins, staying hydrated, things like that.
    Sorry about that. I did not mean to imply that if you are not a decent person then you will have problems with energy. I simply stated those facts to provide the forum members with some background information.

Good point about the vitamins. I do not nor have I ever taken any form of vitamin pills. That might be a good start.

Hydration I have covered, I think I drink more tea per day than all the people in Europe and Asia combined.
    Last edited by JustDave; 04-03-2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Addition

heart on fire

Magnesium is supposed to be something lacking in western diets that affects energy, you might read about the effects of magnesium and potassium on energy.

MBTI
    xNTP

I appreciate your advice and will definitely research magnesium and potassium.

Nevertheless my concern lies with the psychological effects low energy has on me. I am wondering why can't I just relax and not get upset because I didn't accomplish a bunch of arbitrary tasks?

heart on fire

Forgive me, I thought you really had a problem with low energy, believe me, if you did it would the primary focus of your life to gain more of it. Now I see you are just not as super human as you think you should be as decent person?