User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Morbid Humor

Enneagram
    1w2

Default Morbid Humor

There are several people on the forum who use morbid humor very well like Mort Belfry. Others I just want to take an acid rinse and wonder if they're truly joking or wrapping their seriousness in humor to make it more palatable.

What differentiates this brand of humor from others? What is it's purpose?

MBTI
    INXP

Humour is a survival tactic.. we laugh at painful subjects to protect our psyches. So dark humour preys on this - it is just an extension of slapstick (haha! He fell over!). Misfortune is a key part of what we find amusing.

MBTI
    xNTP

This is an interesting question.

I believe that those with a morbid sense of humor tend to have a preference for thinking. So I believe their sense of humor is born from their objective, detached natures. Because they tend to objectify living things they have less qualms about subjects that are taboo and thus tend to say offensive things.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    I believe that those with a morbid sense of humor tend to have a preference for thinking. So I believe their sense of humor is born from their objective, detached natures. Because they tend to objectify living things they have less qualms about subjects that are taboo and thus tend to say offensive things.
    That sounded correct at first, from a theoretical POV (I would have said the same thing)... then I started thinking and realized that I know many IxFJs and even some INFPs with dark-humor/sardonic qualities. They tend to be a little happier if they've had happy lives, but if they've had to deal with some hard things, they can develop a very cutting, very cynical and morbid/pessimistic humor sense.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    xNTP

Absolutely. When I am stressed or feeling apatethic my sense of humor tends to be morbid.

Incidentally, I make a distinction between a morbid sense of humor and a disturbing one.

I don't want to dredge up old bones but I think PM is concerned with those that have a "disturbing" sense of humor.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    Absolutely. When I am stressed or feeling apatethic my sense of humor tends to be morbid.

Incidentally, I make a distinction between a morbid sense of humor and a disturbing one.

I don't want to dredge up old bones but I think PM is concerned with those that have a "disturbing" sense of humor.
    There's a cultural thing in there, too, of course. Witness the reaction to the Danish cartoons in the middle east. To me it was quite harmless.

There's a line between morbid and disturbing but it isn't clearly defined. For me, the trick is to recognise that something is inherently funny because it does something clever, rather than just that you are meant to laugh because it is so shocking the only other response is to be offended, and its uncool to be offended.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Maybe a good example of morbid vs disturbing:

Morbid: Edward Gorey
    Disturbing: Francis Bacon

Morbid: Lemony Snicket
    Disturbing: H.R. Giger

Morbid: Al Gore
    Disturbing: George W. Bush

Any questions?

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    There's a cultural thing in there, too, of course. Witness the reaction to the Danish cartoons in the middle east. To me it was quite harmless.

There's a line between morbid and disturbing but it isn't clearly defined. For me, the trick is to recognise that something is inherently funny because it does something clever, rather than just that you are meant to laugh because it is so shocking the only other response is to be offended, and its uncool to be offended.
    Definitely.

Personally, given that which is done cannot be undone I always err on the conservative side.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That sounded correct at first, from a theoretical POV (I would have said the same thing)... then I started thinking and realized that I know many IxFJs and even some INFPs with dark-humor/sardonic qualities. They tend to be a little happier if they've had happy lives, but if they've had to deal with some hard things, they can develop a very cutting, very cynical and morbid/pessimistic humor sense.
    I consider myself an INFP who's lived a happy life. Sure teens sucked a little, but I have a great family, feel content with life etc. Still, I love the morbid and the disturbed and have problems with separating the two. So I normally play it safe unless I know my audience well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Any questions?
    Morbid, disturbing, absurd, offensive or all at once? (Don't click the link if you're easily offended people. No blood and gore, but it's still "wrong". (One of the naked running children of 'nam , holding hands with Ronald McD and Mickey.)
    http://www.intpcentral.com/uploads/feeling5.jpg
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    I consider myself an INFP who's lived a happy life. Sure teens sucked a little, but I have a great family, feel content with life etc. Still, I love the morbid and the disturbed and have problems with separating the two. So I normally play it safe unless I know my audience well.
    As I was reading this, suddenly "Edward Scissorhands" popped into mind as something dark, a bit morbid and dangerous, a bit cynical of the average human being, yet still with that "INFP" feel to it due to the whimsy and warmth. (As I think that is Burton's type anyway. And we've had the Johnny Depp discussions.)

Morbid, disturbing, absurd, offensive or all at once? (Don't click the link if you're easily offended people. No blood and gore, but it's still "wrong". (One of the naked running children of 'nam , holding hands with Ronald McD and Mickey.)
    http://www.intpcentral.com/uploads/feeling5.jpg
    I'm appalled...

... that you missed an opportunity to include that creepy "Burger King" guy. (He freaks me out.)