User Tag List

First 456

Thread: Morbid Humor

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    I think Carebear's picture works better outside the U.S. I would say that Carebear's picture is political satire along the lines of "How the mighty have fallen; here are the great America's main contributions to the world: Mickey, Ronald, and napalmed children."

As an American, I don't find the joke funny--it's too cheap a shot. But I have to admit that I've laughed at cheap shots in U.S. comics about other nations and their hypocrisies in turn.
    I think that's the nature of satire. It's supposed to be cheap shots, else it wouldn't really be satirical and humorous at all. The humor lies partly in the oversimplification. A fair and balanced treatise on the nature of American interventionism can be interesting, but won't be particularly funny. It's the cheap shot, the over simplification, the misrepresentation that's funny. (Or at least it's an important element.)

Look at south park, family guy, 19th century cartoons of the French in English newspapers, "Bush is stoopid"-humor etc. It's funny because it's cheap and oversimplified. "Bush is relatively intelligent, but has some questionable qualities and policies" just doesn't pack the same satirical punch.

And of course precisely because it's so cheap, it's easily dismantled, so anyone who disagrees with the satire will shrug it off, find it un-funny and say: But that's not the way it is at all.

So yes, I can see several reasons why you don't find it funny, FL. (And your link made it's humor quotient drop quickly as well, CzeCze. Identifying with the girl takes the fun out of it.) But the important thing isn't to find it funny, but to understand why other people CAN find it funny because they have a different background. And realizing that you yourself find cheap shots funny that others might find "wrong". (Which I see that you do, FL.)

As for the pic itself, it surfaced around the beginning of the Iraq war, I think, so I'm guessing it's a product of modern photoshopping and modern anti-war sentiment, and not a child of the 1970's. I guess they figured the distance in time made it less distasteful while the message was just as relevant.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    But the important thing isn't to find it funny, but to understand why other people CAN find it funny because they have a different background. And realizing that you yourself find cheap shots funny that others might find "wrong". (Which I see that you do, FL.)
    I still say it's pretty heavy-handed by objective standards. There are more subtle approaches one could take, such as the approach used by standard political cartoons that routinely appear on the editorial pages of major newspapers. But I grant that the cartoon could work well with the right audience (or even with me personally, if it were aimed at another target). So I don't mean to put down others who might enjoy this particular cartoon.

Overall, I just see it as "business as usual"--taking potshots at political targets over political policy. Regardless of whether I personally like this particular comic or not, I grant that it's part of a legitimate "genre"--heavy-handed political commentary/satire.

As for the pic itself, it surfaced around the beginning of the Iraq war, I think, so I'm guessing it's a product of modern photoshopping and modern anti-war sentiment, and not a child of the 1970's. I guess they figured the distance in time made it less distasteful while the message was just as relevant.
    Sounds good. Thanks for the additional info. I guess it's kind of timeless due to the iconic nature of the three figures. That old Vietnam war photo, in particular, has stayed surprisingly current in the public consciousness over the decades.

MBTI
    INFP

I still say it's pretty heavy-handed by objective standards. There are more subtle approaches one could take, such as the approach used by standard political cartoons that routinely appear on the editorial pages of major newspapers.
    I agree, and generally prefer subtle as well, but in the revolutionary idealist frame of mind (and period of life) I was in when I first saw the image, I found myself laughing out loud.

But I grant that the cartoon could work well with the right audience (or even with me personally, if it were aimed at another target). So I don't mean to put down others who might enjoy this particular cartoon.
    No, you didn't come across like that at all. Just curious/questioning.

Overall, I just see it as "business as usual"--taking potshots at political targets over political policy. Regardless of whether I personally like this particular comic or not, I grant that it's part of a legitimate "genre"--heavy-handed political commentary/satire.
    Yes, I agree. I find it funny when watching British satire. One minute I'm laughing like crazy because they come down heavy on something I find stupid as well, the next I'm bored because even if the style is the same, the subject is one I have only superficial knowledge about (usually domestic Brit politics.) I see how it would be funny if I knew more, but since I don't, it's... dull.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

RDF

in the revolutionary idealist frame of mind
    So that's where you got your taste for radical agitprop.

I agree, and generally prefer subtle as well, but in the revolutionary idealist frame of mind (and period of life) I was in when I first saw the image, I found myself laughing out loud.
    Some of the European press may routinely carry more provocative political cartoons than the U.S. press.

I recall looking through the political cartoons that were critical of Islam which were carried in the Danish press a couple years ago. Some of them came down pretty hard on the subject matter. I have to admit that I got a laugh out of that whole business.

Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MBTI
    INFP

So that's where you got your taste for radical agitprop.
    :p

Some of the European press may routinely carry more provocative political cartoons than the U.S. press.

I recall looking through the political cartoons that were critical of Islam which were carried in the Danish press a couple years ago. Some of them came down pretty hard on the subject matter. I have to admit that I got a laugh out of that whole business.

Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Yes, I remember that. I was in Copenhagen the weeks it got attention and when I got home I found that a Norwegian magazine had also printed it. (Danish newspapers only mentioned the protests against Denmark, the Norwegian only the protests against Norway (The world finally notices us!!). Funny.) So there were a couple of weeks of Danish, Norwegian and Icelandic and Swiss Flags burning, embassies going up in flames, Norwegian military base in Afghanistan getting attacked, muslims going up in flames when they bungled the burning of flags and embassies and caught fire etc. (The Icelandic and Swiss flags burned as a result of a screwup of the color order and design of the Norwegian and Danish flags.) I guess it makes me a bit evil, but I got a laugh out of it all as well.

RDF

So there were a couple of weeks of Danish, Norwegian and Icelandic and Swiss Flags burning, embassies going up in flames, Norwegian military base in Afghanistan getting attacked, muslims going up in flames when they bungled the burning of flags and embassies and caught fire etc. (The Icelandic and Swiss flags burned as a result of a screwup of the color order and design of the Norwegian and Danish flags.)

I guess it makes me a bit evil, but I got a laugh out of it all as well.
    Fair enough!