First 7891011 Last

Thread: Alcoholics.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    How does this happen? Do you have to be uber-N? How do you forget to sleep and drink water, even if you're one of those people who can go without eating? I can't do any of the above. It sounds absolutely bizarre to me.
    I'm one of those people who can't go 2 hours without eating something.....but I can play video games for 6-8 hours straight without getting up and without noticing how much time is passing. It's easy for a lot of people to get absorbed by it and not really pay attention to the external world. So, I believe it. I don't think it's an N (or S) thing, either. It's not being lost in abstract thought, it's being really absorbed in doing something. I get that way with reading a good book but to a much lesser extent (maybe 4-5 hours).
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i think you just crave fun...the social happy times you have with your friends when you're all out drinking....maybe you just get bored.
    Thank you for being kind, but it's definitely the substance I crave- (straight vodka or scotch to be exact.) ! I don't remember being bored a day in my life, either- sometimes I'd like to do my running and scrapbooking, doggy parking and reading, writing, hanging out with my friends and stuff, but end up too hungover to follow through. Like I said, I don't drink much in public anymore. Too embarrassing, people are getting suspicious, and I can't trust myself around the alcohol despite the potential for destroying relationships. *Thinks of all the times I drank with friends and ensuing disasters.* Nope, definitely not craving those times! (It's already assisted in the completion of one relationship, and impaired a few friendships that bounced back, I can't do that anymore.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

How does this happen? Do you have to be uber-N? How do you forget to sleep and drink water, even if you're one of those people who can go without eating? I can't do any of the above. It sounds absolutely bizarre to me.
    Maybe they are initially just doing enough to stay alive, basically on the brink of starvation/dehydration already, and when they go a little further, it's enough to cause a heart attack/ do them in.........?

Yea, gamers can become absorbed in games to the point where they ignore their needs, usually not for 3 days, but.....
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

It's the nature of addiction. It's not a substance in this case, but it's an addiction none the less. They live for the game. Is this the first time you heard of that guy?

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'm one of those people who can't go 2 hours without eating something.....but I can play video games for 6-8 hours straight without getting up and without noticing how much time is passing. It's easy for a lot of people to get absorbed by it and not really pay attention to the external world. So, I believe it. I don't think it's an N (or S) thing, either. It's not being lost in abstract thought, it's being really absorbed in doing something. I get that way with reading a good book but to a much lesser extent (maybe 4-5 hours).
    I do know what you mean about getting lost in doing something (reading a book, arguing with people on typology central haha) but I still could never ignore my body like that. I'd be so miserable and unhappy.

It makes me happy to go outside, to eat chocolate cheerios, to drink tea, to sleep...I mean I've gone without enough sleep before, but it's usually because I'm in a neurotic state, and I don't function well.

2 days, let alone 3 seems outrageous to me. It's one thing to go 6-8 hours and think "wow I've been absorbed in this all day" and to be dehydrated for DAYS.

What? Really, what?

I don't understand. No comprende. Very disturbing.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I can totally see this happening. Just type C alone. But put me on here on a good day and a couple of hours will pass and I'll find out that my toungue is hanging out of my mouth, all dried up, and my bladder is going to explode!!! Same goes for the Sims, Guitar Hero, or a good book! I get where someone may take this phenomenon to an extreme addiction and die, especially if he had other mental abnormalities involved.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

wow... now I have to feel really bad because I went through a time when I only ate so that I could drink more... and had been known to wander off, puke, and then go right back to drinking

I was also quite good at being a total flake about any promises or social obligations and not keeping in contact with anyone who I couldn't meet at the bar

I might have one drink every few months on special occasions, but haven't done that for quite a while under suspicion that it falls into the Bad Ideas category... I know what hold alcohol has over me- it lets me escape myself for a little bit of time and that can be amazingly tempting from time to time for someone who doesn't always like themselves very much... it's too tempting
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Thank you for being kind, but it's definitely the substance I crave- (straight vodka or scotch to be exact.) ! I don't remember being bored a day in my life, either- sometimes I'd like to do my running and scrapbooking, doggy parking and reading, writing, hanging out with my friends and stuff, but end up too hungover to follow through. Like I said, I don't drink much in public anymore. Too embarrassing, people are getting suspicious, and I can't trust myself around the alcohol despite the potential for destroying relationships. *Thinks of all the times I drank with friends and ensuing disasters.* Nope, definitely not craving those times! (It's already assisted in the completion of one relationship, and impaired a few friendships that bounced back, I can't do that anymore.)
    oh damn okay...i was just projecting i guess...like what it would be for me if i had an issue...i'm sorry sweets but am very proud of you for being open with this. i hope you get a handle on it.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by jimrckhnd View Post
    I have what I believe to a predisposition to addictive behavior so I'm wary of alcohol. If nothing else I know I have a tendency to have one more than is wise when I drink - "two beers" hardly exists for me. On the other hand I can go for weeks, occasionally months without a drink.

At various times I’ve smoked a lot of tobacco and when I was 14 or 15 a lot of dope. I used to be an obsessive runner and later when I race bicycles I was REALLY obsessive about training. I don’t know if that kind of obsession is related to addiction or not but it seems to be better to err on the side of caution and assume I’m at risk of stumbling into an addiction that will at best take time and annoyance to deal with.
    i think it is definitely...it's an all or nothing mentality...not knowing when enough is enough...if some is good more is better. i know several people like this...with party substances or running or being healthy or whatever the fixation of the moment is.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison