Thread: Alcoholics.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Do you see any pattern of when you tend to get cravings?

I've been trying to change how I eat. People around me wouldn't say I have a problem with food, but I also know that I'm not really in control of what I eat (not binging, but just I'll determine not to buy something and then find myself getting it anyway right when I've determined that I really need to make some changes). Sometimes I tend to buy treats when I'm alone because I'd prefer other people not to know and I have spent years trying to quit drinking Coke. I've weighed more than I want to for most of my adult life, and my weight has slowly crept up every year. I'm not aware of any particular triggers either, but I think there must be some emotional element to it or it wouldn't be that hard to overcome it. Part of it is that I don't think I want to say goodbye to stuff I enjoy, even if I realize that it's effects are negative. Food is also a very social thing. Your post along with something I read this week and something cascadeco said a long time ago though inspired me to actively try just putting off whatever craving I had and see if I still felt the same way two hours later. So far it's worked. I read a book saying that one family practiced saying no to something every day - they each got to decide what - and then they had the opportunity to report back to each other at supper. It really positively impacted everyone's level of productivity and discipline, finances etc. I don't know if I'd want to do that, but I have felt some sense of internal accomplishment by kind of playing that game with myself in my head.
    Yeah, I think plain old restraint is a good thing. It's hard in this bountiful culture to say "no" to things that you like that make you feel good. I tend to get cravings in a moment that I need relaxation. Either I am in high stress or am very relaxed and want to intensify the feeling. Plain old relaxation isn't good enough. I want to be really really relaxed. I'm reminding myself about how I don't like to be sick in the morning, don't think I can stop at one or two at this level of craving, and about how I went to an interesting conference the other day, surgeons talking, and was too tired to care becasue of drinking the night before. I'm going to pick up my roommates guitar and try to learn a few chords instead.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INTP

I have what I believe to a predisposition to addictive behavior so I'm wary of alcohol. If nothing else I know I have a tendency to have one more than is wise when I drink - "two beers" hardly exists for me. On the other hand I can go for weeks, occasionally months without a drink.

At various times I’ve smoked a lot of tobacco and when I was 14 or 15 a lot of dope. I used to be an obsessive runner and later when I race bicycles I was REALLY obsessive about training. I don’t know if that kind of obsession is related to addiction or not but it seems to be better to err on the side of caution and assume I’m at risk of stumbling into an addiction that will at best take time and annoyance to deal with.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

I have alcoholism on both sides of my family, although my parents both gave up alcohol when I was pretty young and converted to a religion that taught against drinking alcohol. So I didn't even try a taste of alcohol until my mid-20s. Though of course there were PLENTY of opportunities to try, I didn't, a little bit out of fear of becoming like some of my relatives, that I wouldn't be able to stop, and also because I honestly wanted to do what I believed was the "right" thing.

I only drink occasionally now, and make sure I always, always, am with other people. But it is fun, I love drinking when I'm really happy about life and with people I really like, but also a couple times I have found myself wanting so bad to get super drunk when something emotionally painful happened to me...

It is a little bit scary.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Yeah, I think plain old restraint is a good thing. It's hard in this bountiful culture to say "no" to things that you like that make you feel good. I tend to get cravings in a moment that I need relaxation. Either I am in high stress or am very relaxed and want to intensify the feeling. Plain old relaxation isn't good enough. I want to be really really relaxed. I'm reminding myself about how I don't like to be sick in the morning, don't think I can stop at one or two at this level of craving, and about how I went to an interesting conference the other day, surgeons talking, and was too tired to care becasue of drinking the night before. I'm going to pick up my roommates guitar and try to learn a few chords instead.
    I've heard people say that that is a great way to replace a bad habit - everytime you are overwhelmed with wanting to do it, you pick something that is positive to do instead and by doing that you are not only giving yourself something to do instead, but also reinforcing good stuff at the same time as backing away from more negative habits.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I work with a bunch of alcoholics, the functional types. They probably have something like 5 or 6 a day and then get drunk once on the weekends. They seem kind of of stunted to me, like they could be doing more with themselves. But, who am I to judge on what people do with themselves?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I work with a bunch of alcoholics, the functional types. They probably have something like 5 or 6 a day and then get drunk once on the weekends. They seem kind of of stunted to me, like they could be doing more with themselves.
    I know I could have. And I am now.....

The act of drinking and dealing with hangovers takes up most of a drinking alcoholic's free time. They generally don't grow much. Pretty much in cruise control during that period.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I work with a bunch of alcoholics, the functional types. They probably have something like 5 or 6 a day and then get drunk once on the weekends. They seem kind of of stunted to me, like they could be doing more with themselves. But, who am I to judge on what people do with themselves?
    I'll accept the challenge.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    I know I could have. And I am now.....

The act of drinking and dealing with hangovers takes up most of a drinking alcoholic's free time. They generally don't grow much. Pretty much in cruise control during that period.
    Heh, I'm stunted too for different reasons, so I actually empathize in a strange way.

What bothers me is that static quality. I don't know I just can't connect to people who don't want to think about making themselves better. I don't mean better, like not drinking.. but just the thought they could accomplish something new tomorrow and grow a little bit more.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    ... Eat, drink, be merry is the saying. Not eat, go to AA, and be merry.
    This struck me -- drink=happy, sober=dull.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    This struck me -- drink=happy, sober=dull.
    More like sober is happy, and drunk is happier.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.