User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Alcoholics.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm not really sure that I feel like posting this really...

In college I could drink a fifth a night without any real repercussions other than the fact that it could get pretty damned expensive! For a few years I lived in my fraternity's house and always had drinking buddies around as well, so I was kind of a really heavy social drinker... we would get together and drink large quantities of alcohol almost every night. When I moved out on my own I kept up the drinking, only on my own most week nights- I had a well enough stocked liquor cabinet (I worked in a liquor store!) that people ALWAYS wanted to come to my house for dinner just because they knew that they would get whatever dessert cocktails they wanted and it would more than likely be top shelf ingredients. I don't think that I went many evenings without having at least 4 or 5 drinks.

I moved to another city after graduating and didn't know anyone here, so I took up hanging out with other drinkers because we all shared a hobby in common! I could easily be found stopping by the bar on the way home from work... I frequently had dinner there while drinking even because the bar was the first and last stop of my night. When not at work or the bar I still had a beautifully stocked liquor cabinet. I don't think I ever went to a social event during that time that did not include drinks and I don't think that I was ever seen without a drink in my hand when out.

I could handle my liquor well and wasn't a sloppy drunk, so somehow I didn't think that it was really a problem

after drinking threw my bipolar disorder off the deep end and I also got a DUI I decided that I should probably stop with such behavior. Now, if I drink anything (which is very rare) it is beer, which I never had the same sort of relationship with as I did with other types of liquor. I'm too crazy to have much of a life expectancy if I keep up the drinking

Hope that helps some... I'm half considering deleting this anyways
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    yupp

I drink when i'm suicidal, don't know if that's a problem or not.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    ...:

Oh, yes. It did help- thank you for sharing. ... It's always good to know when you're not alone, too. Seems awfully common now in this society. I actually don't drink a lot physically, (like, say, every night) compared to let's say...the average American college kid. I simply don't feel that I have much control over the intense cravings to drink, even if that craving only comes once or twice a week. It's like I need to drink alcohol as if I needed to have a glass of water!!! I have had friends and cousins come to me and say, "yes, I am an alcoholic." I always find that to be a brave thing, even if they aren't ready to stop drinking. It's embarrassing.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

to think that you can let an inanimate substance have such control over you is kind of a totally embarassing thing... even now I'll occasionally feel that I NEED a drink in order to function... I drink a cup of coffee or tea instead because that kind of freaks me out... I quit drinking 2 years ago and the thought that it STILL has that power over me is not a comforting thought
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    Ha, I've done that a lot of times. If you do things while drinking that you later regret, that is a sign that you are not handling your drinking well and that you are out-of-control. I know that seems obvious but my mind will play tricks with me, and minimize the problem.

I would guess you have a problem.
    You resemble me in the way you are treating alcohol use.
    Drinking alone, fear of getting too drunk and not being able to stop drinking (out of control), doing things you later regret, getting hangovers so bad you call into work sick, binging, etc.
    Been there and done them all so many times......
    I overcame it by quitting liquor altogether. I still drink beer but I limit usage. (One a day, sometimes two, but that is all). I can handle that. If I drink liquor one night, I have massive cravings for a week. It's not worth it. Sometimes I relapse and go on mini-binges where I drink for a week to a month. I don't really drink THAT much..... heh, I tell myself that, but I can down six to nine drinks in a night, and that's abuse. I'll drink that one or two nights a week, and then drink two or three the rest, when I'm binging. So it could be worse..... However, I am binging less now than ever, and it's not affecting my life so much anymore. No horrible consequences (boyfriend angry, horrible fights, don't remember what I did, etc. - mostly gone). My goal is to never drink liquor again. haha I might be able to do it next year. It has taken me several years of effort to overcome the worst of it.

Same thing I do, except I limit to beer and wine. It has worked for me too.

Seems to work for me too. It's definitely about drink management and showing restraint.

Agreed. I would suggest drinking at home, calling cabs, or yes, handing over the keys early-on to avoid driving. Drinking and driving should be no-tolerance. No one else should have to pay for your mistakes, given that you are eventually involved in an alcohol-related accident. And you can end up with a felony charge at worst, lose your license at best (depending on the state you live in),.... it's just not worth the risk, to yourself or others. My father thought he could drive too, but it got away from him. He ended up with three DWI's, lost his license, and wrecked his car. This was in the 70's/80's when penalties weren't nearly as harsh.
    Thank you, this is a good post. Seems like it's hard to define... That line that you cross.... I know that thinking that drinking while driving is alright shows really poor judgement on my part, (anybody's part!!) It's just a no tolerance thing. I know I can drive safely with 2 beers on board, or depending on how long it took to drink them. But it's not fair to think I'm going to just stop at 2 beers. I think I'm going to do what you did. Just stop for a while, maybe rebuild the relationship in a different way, (like someone else said.) maybe it's reversible at this point... maybe I'm just walking a fine line. I would really hate to think that I can't have that moderated, healthy social relationship with alcohol ever again. I'm an exfp for cripes sake. Eat, drink, be merry is the saying. Not eat, go to AA, and be merry.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    to think that you can let an inanimate substance have such control over you is kind of a totally embarassing thing... even now I'll occasionally feel that I NEED a drink in order to function... I drink a cup of coffee or tea instead because that kind of freaks me out... I quit drinking 2 years ago and the thought that it STILL has that power over me is not a comforting thought
    Yes, that is scary!!! It reminds me of a South Park they had a while back making fun of alcoholism. It was a hilarious episode teasing people who "can't stop drinking" and pretty much saying, "Just stop." Obviously alcoholism is a very real thing, but it makes sense that you should just be able to quit. I find the intervention episodes with the alcoholics to be the worst ones!!!

I'm with you, though. I need a drink in hand at all times, whether it's coffee or juice or water or alcohol! The sink is always full of cups at the end of the day!

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Yes, that is scary!!! It reminds me of a South Park they had a while back making fun of alcoholism. It was a hilarious episode teasing people who "can't stop drinking" and pretty much saying, "Just stop." Obviously alcoholism is a very real thing, but it makes sense that you should just be able to quit. I find the intervention episodes with the alcoholics to be the worst ones!!!

I'm with you, though. I need a drink in hand at all times, whether it's coffee or juice or water or alcohol! The sink is always full of cups at the end of the day!
    you'd think that it would be easy to just stop drinking... after all, quitting reading a book or shopping at certain stores and things of that sort are easy! I can't decide whether quitting drinking or quitting smoking are harder though- those things can CONTROL you

I've always been the type who is always drinking SOMETHING- when I was younger I would easily drink somewhere around 25-30 glasses of water a day now my car is littered with water bottles and redbull cans!

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Thank you, this is a good post. Seems like it's hard to define... That line that you cross.... I know that thinking that drinking while driving is alright shows really poor judgement on my part, (anybody's part!!) It's just a no tolerance thing. I know I can drive safely with 2 beers on board, or depending on how long it took to drink them. But it's not fair to think I'm going to just stop at 2 beers. I think I'm going to do what you did. Just stop for a while, maybe rebuild the relationship in a different way, (like someone else said.) maybe it's reversible at this point... maybe I'm just walking a fine line. I would really hate to think that I can't have that moderated, healthy social relationship with alcohol ever again. I'm an exfp for cripes sake. Eat, drink, be merry is the saying. Not eat, go to AA, and be merry.
    YW.... Good luck to you.
    The general rule is: one drink per day for women and two drinks per day for men. Anything more than that is considered unhealthy, and could/will cause detrimental effects to your health.
    (You can actually check this online with many sources. Generally, this is what you will find. Occasionally, there is a different rule, but it's mostly going to be this.)
    I actually used this rule to decide how much I could drink and still be healthy, and it's not much.
    Regardless of how common it is to drink more than that, and how much I saw others drinking a lot more than that, THIS is reality lol.....
    Reality is hard to see, and it's easy to wave it away and pretend it really isn't that way, when the alcohol is talking lol.......
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

in my court mandated alcohol class they told us that the safe drinking rules for moderation were 1 drink an hour, 2 drinks a day and no more than 3 drinks on any given day... of course they followed it by telling us that if we were required to take the class we should probably quit drinking altogether

has this thread turned into a thread on SPs and thier unhealthy relationships with alcohol, or is anyone else going to chip in

MBTI
    yupp

I tried to, but i don't have to drink all the time only when suicidal and drinking fixes it, so I don't see it as a problem even though others do.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so