User Tag List

12 Last

Default How can i read people?

been watching the Mentalist lately and wow...he got everything i ever wanted. The ability pay attention to all the detail and then accuratly read someone's mind. How can i learn?

Look for visual evidence. Draw conclusions. Draw every conclusion. You must however understand that these conclusions are assumptions. Some of them will be correct some of them will be errors. Research the progressive steps of what make a product finalized then reverse time. See a dude with a beard don't just take it as the guy wants to have a god damn beard and start thinking about how he may have a beard because he neglects his personal hygiene. Be judgemental but never blindly judgemental. Gather evidence to your assumptions and turn them into fact by asking carefully crafted questions.
    Veni, Vidi, Cessi.

MBTI
    INTP

I observe draw logical inferences and then cross index with intuition. I've learned to "listen to the voices" - while it may be something of a self fulfilling prophecy I rarely change my mind about a negative first impression or hunch and further data often confirms the initial suspicion. I have a pretty strong "bull shit" detector and it operates on observing and detecting "what does not belong" and then chewing on the discrepancy.

I try to place all data in to the context of the situation: what clothes, what accessories, do they wear scent? How much and how good? Are they observing or not, where do place themselves in a space? What kind of language, how loud or soft.

If there is an inconsistency in context – talking loudly in a library or softly in a bar – analyze probable causes. If there is an inconstancy in pattern – expensive watch but run down shoes… again, what is that telling me (in Washington if male it is a strong tip he’s a lawyer). And if your intuition starts sending up flares that something is off… listen.

Unfortunately with people I end up liking I’m not always accurate in initial assessments: I’m better at spotting the “black hats” then the “white hats”. Occasionally however, I meet somebody who I take an immediate liking to – this is very dangerous as it robs me of my objectivity. So I resist.

Limitation of my approach I'm afraid.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

So you wanna be a michael westen + macgyver + the mentalist combo.
    Seriously dude, just be happy with what you have. Trust me (and I know you won't), your happiness levels wouldn't change even if you had all those skills.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

^^i don't wanna be them. I just want the skills, i don't want to be MacGuyver.

I just want the ability to read people. I want to be a good strategist.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Read a lot of body language books. They really help a lot.

Smile Reading and Listening

Quote Originally Posted by Illmatic View Post
    been watching the Mentalist lately and wow...he got everything i ever wanted. The ability pay attention to all the detail and then accuratly read someone's mind. How can i learn?
    Well, we can read people like a book or we can listen to them like a telephone.

If we are literate, we are inclined to read them like a book, only we are careful not to judge them by their cover.

But if we listen, we hear their contours, we hear their tone, and we are inclined to reply.

If we read them like a book, we read them lineally and sequentially. We see them as independent individuals occupying a particular time and space.

But if we listen to them like a telephone, time and space are abolished, we feel the same things at the same time, and we join the electric tribe in the global village.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

never believe you could read people
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    never believe you could read people
    Hey, if you can read a book, you can read people.

Reading is a way of looking at the world. It is a way of looking at books and looking at people. So we say, I can read you, Entropie, like a book.

On the other hand, if we come from a spoken culture, we have a way of listening to the world and each other. And likewise, if we come from an electric culture, we listen to each other like the telephone.

So spoken cultures, that is, tribal, illiterate cultures, are quite like electric cultures.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Yea but cultures hunt you with forks and torches if they get to know that you can read them
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]