• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

what i dont like about INTPs and using MBTI type for personal connotation

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
i dont INTPs because they dump their corn-flakes into the sink and clog the drain.

sound familiar?

it seems like a lot of people use MBTI types for their own personal connotations. that is, they dont see MBTI type as a definitive explanation of someone's personality but merely a label for how they relate to someone.

they might type people they dislike similarly, or everyone who does "X" as a certain type. the especially narcissistic might even type someone they admire as their own type, or refuse to believe someone they dont like/agree with could be the same type as them.

are you guilty of this? remember an especially funny example of someone doing this? discuss.

Judous

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't like ISTP's because they sleep on couches instead of beds.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I probably do it, but I'm very aware of this problem.
I don't like typing people for the most part, and I let a combination of test results and self-assessment be the deciding factor.
I hate it when other people try to have the final say on everyone else's type.
I usually don't even bother with trying to type famous figures...

heart

heart on fire
I don't like ISTP's because they sleep on couches instead of beds.

You may be joking but...My nephew tested ISTP and he refused for years to sleep in his own bed, but preferred the couch instead. :D It drove his family nuts.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes, sad to say I've seen alot of that. I find it especially annoying when a thread is started for a particular type.. in my case INTP that is intended to be a sharing/learning one between that specific type or positive enforcement for them and people come out of the cracks with their rants which derails the thread... seems it never returns to what it was supposed to be. Suffice to say there are some really intense opinions that seem to make some go totally "haywire."

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I hate S types because they put lame shit like dogs into their avatars.

<3

Judous

MBTI Type
INTP
You may be joking but...My nephew tested ISTP and he refused for years to sleep in his own bed, but preferred the couch instead. :D It drove his family nuts.

Heart, you just made my day. :D

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Guilty as charged.

I am suppose to understand because I'm an INFJ. :dont:

Said person couldn't see why change is necessary so he/she must be an SJ.

My mother's harping at me to clean up stuff again... I guess ISFJs have a tendency to nag.

*sigh* Type gets me into more trouble then it helps remove them. Half the time I get them wrong, and the other half I apply them wrong. As I was saying in a PM earlier... type is a label... labels are insidious little things... skews perception. So I'm not using them for anything if I don't have to.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP

i love sleeping on the couch when i can get away with it. it may not be in another country, but at least it feels like a trip away from home ;)

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Using type theories too strictly can be problematic and simply not useful or helpful. I think of it all as a tool, a medium to understand and explain things, kind of like a metaphor. A metaphor always demonstrates a point, but no metaphor is directly parallel to what it is describing. Type theory is the same thing, it describes some behaviour, it helps us understand people better, but it is not absolute and it is not completely accurate. All this Fi, Fe, Ti, Te stuff is all words... they are symbols to understand ways people sometimes think depending on context and to understand why some people are some ways and others are other ways . It is never black and white, its all grey matter, they all overlap and melt into eachother... but for the sake of discussion and understanding we have these terms.

Sometimes trying to see if there is a trend of some kind between types and some habit can be a good way to understand the thinking behind that habit, but it should never be taken too seriously. For example, lets say hypothetically we did a poll and most vegetarians were NF's. That would be lovely, but it should not then be applied as a way to recognize someone as an NF, or as a criticism of NF's (if you have a probably with vegetarians, that is), but maybe it will help us understand the motivation of vegetarians and why they specifically (if it is specific) get those motivations and others don't a bit better if we approach it the right way.

To make a long story short, its all a theory, its all a tool to understand people better, so lets not bicker and argue, lets understand how we all think!

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
I use MBTI to attempt to see what someone else is. It's a bit like a game to me.