User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Confidence

ThatGirl

My psych professor once told the class that there didn't exist any truly confident people. He waited for the class to disagree, then asked them how they they could prove they were absolutely confident....Trickster!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It's the confidence trick that is most important, for the confidence trick gives birth to the con man. And we all want to be conned. We all want to be sold. How we love a salesman. Why, our greatest theatrical tragedy is called, "Death of a Salesman", and the author even got to marry Marilyn Munroe!

I've been listening to two hours of astrology on talkback radio and it is two hours of a supurb confidence trick. They love it. They keep ringing back. They can't get enough of it.

How we love confidence. We love it so much we even love ersatz confidence - the kind of confidence you have when you are not having any confidence. The kind of confidence you get with MBTI.
    Your ability to turn any discussion into a rant about the evils of MBTI is really a talent, Victor.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Your ability to turn any discussion into a rant about the evils of MBTI is really a talent, Victor.
    Okay, this made me laugh!

"The other day, I walked. FISH. Then I turned around. FISH. Then I sat down. FISH."

Kind of like MBTI tourettes!

How we love confidence. We love it so much we even love ersatz confidence - the kind of confidence you have when you are not having any confidence. The kind of confidence you get with MBTI.

Go get the evil-doers, Vic.

The Usual Suspects

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Go get the evil-doers, Vic.
    Evil always operates under the mask of good. So we have confidence and ersatz confidence, we have the authentic and the phoney and the phoney always imitates the authentic. In fact mimicry is a sign of evil. I mean, what do you think, do you think evil goes round with a big sign saying, I am evil? 'Course not.

Keyser Soze (aka the devil) tells us to our faces, "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to persuade us he doesn't exist".

And with Keyser Soze on the loose, I devote my time to rounding up the usual suspects.

Salt

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    It's a discipline. It's not for everyone. It's not for those who want to be loved, and not for those who want to love. It is an ascetic discipline. It is a palate cleansing discipline. It takes one to the high reaches of integrity, where the air is fine, clean and pure.

Such a discipline is the salt of Earth and reminds me of Mathew 5:13, "Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost its savor, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing".

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's a discipline. It' not for everyone. It's not for those who want to be loved, and not for those who want to love. It is an ascetic discipline. It is a palate cleansing discipline. It takes one to the high reaches of integrity, where the air is fine, clean and pure.

Such a discipline is the salt of Earth and reminds me of Mathew 5:13, "Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost its savor, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing".
    Yes, you certainly breathe rarefied air, Vic. You and Jim have such great ideas for what everyone on this forum should be doing, you should get together.

Except I'd almost feel sorry for you, because you're so earnest and sincere, and he'd probably use you as a human shield.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

With just confidence, you got nothing!

"OH MY GOD! I'm freaking out! He is going to fall! Someone throw him a rope and tie it around something!"
    "Oh, oh, oh! I know how to tie a knot! I shall confidently throw him a rope and tie it to this tree here!"
    *ties rope around the tree and throws rope to almost falling person*
    "There, now use the rope to climb down!"
    *On a slow descent, suddenly the knot unravels! Oh no!*

"I am so confident! Look at me driving at 200 miles per hour through these sharp corners, nothing can happen to me! Woohoo! Oops... "

It's all about being balanced I guess. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    SLE

Confidence is not arrogance
    Confidence is not aggression
    Confidence is not bad-boy attitude
    Confidence is certainly not asshole attitude

Confidence is simply an inert feeling of consistency and reassurance in one's abilities and personal characteristics.
    Any exagerated form of it is not it.

I like confidence in myself and others. I don't like any of the look-alike attitudes mentioned in the list above.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Keyser Soze (aka the devil) tells us to our faces, "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to persuade us he doesn't exist".

And with Keyser Soze on the loose, I devote my time to rounding up the usual suspects.
    Points for that classic movie reference. *nods*

Confidence is a Norwegian rally driver hauling butt through snow over a slippery iced up road on a bet to see if he can beat a bobsled team 2K down the hill in less than a minute. I would give that man anything. ANYTHING!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious