User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Default computers affect memory

Internet's memory effects quantified in computer study

Computers and the internet are changing the nature of our memory, research in the journal Science suggests.

Psychology experiments showed that people presented with difficult questions began to think of computers.

When participants knew that facts would be available on a computer later, they had poor recall of answers but enhanced recall of where they were stored.

The researchers say the internet acts as a "transactive memory" that we depend upon to remember for us.

[One] experiment provided a stream of facts to participants, with half told to file them away in a number of "folders" on a computer, and half told that the facts would be erased.

When asked to remember the facts, those who knew the information would not be available later performed significantly better than those who filed the information away.

But those who expected the information would be available were remarkably good at remembering in which folder they had stored the information.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Whilest this is mildly interesting, in itself it doesn't say much at all.

What I would like to know is this:

Does using internet as a 'transactive memory' allow us to use more brain capacity for other things, or does it neglect a large part of our brains capability alltogether?

I'd like to think our brains just get smarter and adapt to the new technologies in order to venture beyond them with the free time we get from needing to cramp everything in our skull instead.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    What I would like to know is this:

Does using internet as a 'transactive memory' allow us to use more brain capacity for other things, or does it neglect a large part of our brains capability alltogether?
    I wondered about that, too. Were the participants who used computers wasting their brainpower remembering where they stored the information rather than just remembering it in the first place, or were they retaining some of the original information and making a mental note on how to retrieve the details if needed?

I didn't click through to the original study, so maybe it's explained more fully there. I do think it's an interesting, if intuitive, finding about how we use our memories.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I was just reading about this the other day, only the article I read was from American Scientific.

I’ve noticed this before on my own- I feel totally SOL when I’m stuck somewhere without internet, and it usually only takes a couple of hours. I got by just fine before having almost constant internet access, but now I’m constantly looking things up in lieu of just memorizing them. As the article linked above mentions, it’s not much different from the way I hardly know my own phone number anymore- let alone the number of people I call the most- because of speed dial. The internet really is like an external hard drive.

At Fluffywolf's post^:

Quote Originally Posted by from Am Sci article
    Besides, memorization is overrated, according to Sparrow. "Obviously we need some baseline skill in memorizing things, but I personally have never seen all that much intellectual value in memorizing things," she says, adding that it is far more important to understand information on a conceptual level. As an instructor, she has seen how some students struggle with cognition related to the things she teaches, whereas they would do much better if they simply had to memorize a bunch of answers. "Memorizing is the easier thing to do, which is why students do it," she says.

Sparrow continues to research the impact on learning if instructors remove the expectation of memorization. "Will students better be able to learn focusing on conceptualizing and understanding information rather than simply remembering it?" she asks. "More likely, if a person does not think the information will be available later, they will try to memorize it, often at the expense of understanding the concepts."
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    At Fluffywolf's post^:
    Nice information. Thanks.

Go wikipedia and smartphones!
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Enneagram
    inxj

""I was just reading about this the other day, only the article I read was from American Scientific.

I’ve noticed this before on my own- I feel totally SOL when I’m stuck somewhere without internet, and it usually only takes a couple of hours. I got by just fine before having almost constant internet access, but now I’m constantly looking things up in lieu of just memorizing them. As the article linked above mentions, it’s not much different from the way I hardly know my own phone number anymore- let alone the number of people I call the most- because of speed dial. The internet really is like an external hard drive.""

^^ @ZBuck
    I totally agree i think it makes kids lazy about remembering facts for example math. No one seems to know basic algebra without using a calculator. Back in the day ppl used to have to memorize the times table....do they do that anymore?
    I have a thirteen year old nephew and he is guilty of being lazy with math homework and tries for every scapegoat imaginable. But....this is now the culture...everyone is like that. At least the 20somethings or younger. It sorta makes me feel like a sage. lol

MBTI
    intp

This thread makes me think of people talking complaining that there are no minstrels anymore who memorize and recite long stories verbatim, and everyone is being lazy when they recite from a book.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

My transitive memory never worked, I'm not missing anything.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

The BORG!

Seriously, it represents a reliance of man on machine. This is not good.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by dala View Post
    This thread makes me think of people talking complaining that there are no minstrels anymore who memorize and recite long stories verbatim, and everyone is being lazy when they recite from a book.
    LOL
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness