User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Default Synesthesia - Show me your numbers & alphabet, you freaks!

Ever wondered if you were the only one who thinks the letter "a" is red and the music of Bach tastes like freshly fallen snow?

Then this is the place for you. For starters, let's compare what color numbers and letter have for you. It's hard to get it right on paper, but this is more or less what it has always looked like for me:

So what do yours look like? I am curious.

And for those who wonder what the hell I'm talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

X

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i thought i had synaesthesia for a while, because i have such strong associations. it's funny though, upon learning the cognitive functions i figured it was more like Ne than actual synaesthesia.

like:

A - bright red (like apples!)
    B - medium blue
    C - warm yellow (like a cat)
    D - black
    E - black/orange/green (weird overlay... it's a "juicy" letter)
    F - green (like fresh grass)
    G - purple (grapes)
    H - dark ash gray
    I - white like ice (very shiny letter)
    L - yellow like light
    M - blue, like the moon (my favorite letter)
    N - orange (also "juicy")
    O - black
    P - purple
    Q - light gray
    R - red
    S - green (snake!)
    T - dark green
    U - light warm brown
    V - purple-red (like red-violet)
    W - light icy gray/purple/blue
    X - black
    Y - black/yellow
    Z - black

more "overlays" - like it's two colors at the same time, all over.

1 - white/red
    2 - light blue
    3 - black/red
    4 - deeper blue/tangerine
    5 - black/medium-deep green
    6 - black/purple
    7 - tangerine (juicy)
    8 - medium blue (lighter than 4, deeper than 2)
    9 - juicy yellow
    0 - clear/white

etc.

i really like your J color!!

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Ever wondered if you were the only one who thinks the letter "a" is red and the music of Bach tastes like freshly fallen snow?

Then this is the place for you. For starters, let's compare what color numbers and letter have for you. It's hard to get it right on paper, but this is more or less what it has always looked like for me:
    Cool, so I'm like a blueish green color.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    like:
    E - black/orange/green (weird overlay... it's a "juicy" letter)
    N - orange (also "juicy")
    7 - tangerine (juicy)
    9 - juicy yellow
    I think you just like saying the word juicy.

EN79 will be my new lucky letter/number combination... since now I know these are the juicy ones.

Phantonym

I am in no way claiming to be a synesthete, but I've always perceived that weekdays feel like close to these colours:

Monday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Friday
    Saturday
    Sunday

I don't get such a strong feeling about letters, numbers, words, months or anything like that.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Cool, so I'm like a blueish green color.

I think you just like saying the word juicy.

EN79 will be my new lucky letter/number combination... since now I know these are the juicy ones.
    Nah, it doesn't exactly work that way, more like mixing a potion with different ingredients blended together. But you are blueish, steel blue I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantonym View Post
    I am in no way claiming to be a synesthete, but I've always perceived that weekdays feel like close to these colours:

Monday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Friday
    Saturday
    Sunday

I don't get such a strong feeling about letters, numbers, words, months or anything like that.
    Cool! But now you mention it and something about these colors does seem strange, I would suggest:

Monday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Friday
    Saturday
    Sunday

These are only rough approximations, though.

Funny thing is, I hesitated for a moment to see if it was the same in Wnglish as it is in my native language and it turns out it mostly is. But it gets difficult, because names and ideas mix. Montag and monday are red, but lunes sounds just far too blueish to fit. So maybe I am going with names rather than points in time here. Gotta think about it.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Ginkgo

I always wondered if those who see auras around others were, as far as scientific explanations go, synesthetes.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I always wondered if those who see auras around others were, as far as scientific explanations go, synesthetes.
    Hmm, I never thought about that - mainly because everything spiritual or esoteric is so alien to me - but that is actually an awesome explanation!
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Don't have it, but I've read about it, and it's fascinating stuff. Do you experience any blending of the senses aside from numbers and letters being certain colours?

I had a neuroscience prof in university who researched this. He says a surprising number of people experience it, but a lot of them never talk about it, and often they assume everyone else experiences the same thing. He once tried to find some synesthetes by interviewing a bunch of undergrads, and he met this one guy who had it but could not be convinced that it wasn't the norm. He kept insisting that everyone must experience the same effects he did, and that the researchers were just telling people otherwise to see how they'd react, and that was the real experiment. Nothing they said could change is mind, and he got increasingly agitated, and they finally just let him go.

I see numbers and letters with specific colors. Two or three times I've been super tired and listening to music and I could feel textures from the sounds... sometimes loud unexpected sounds physically hurt me though, like someone is slapping me in the face.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.