User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    My ex had this. She related colors to numbers.
    She also had 'auditory processing disorder' which made classroom lectures difficult.
    She is a lefty like me. We were freaks together.
    That's pretty cool. It sucks that Synesthesia can be comorbid (even though it isn't a disorder) with mental deficits

Which reminds me, has every person with Synesthesia been left handed at one point or another?
    When I was younger (before like 3rd grade), I was predominantly lefty, but then I just changed for some reason.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    I have honestly no idea, but I do know that I don't break word or numbers into different colored parts (excepting typology systems), so I think it's just because they are getting higher.
    In my case, larger numbers and words are simply a blurring together of their elements.
    Founder and President of World Socionics Society
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/worldsocionicssociety

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

That's pretty cool. It sucks that Synesthesia can be comorbid (even though it isn't a disorder) with mental deficits

Which reminds me, has every person with Synesthesia been left handed at one point or another?
    When I was younger (before like 3rd grade), I was predominantly lefty, but then I just changed for some reason.
    Yeah, I think it seems to be associated with other anomalies. I'm not a synesthete myself, but I have auto-immune issues instead. The brain is so strange.

We have a number of senses not just the visual sense.

We have the proprioceptive sense - our sense of balance and movement, our muscular sense.

We have the haptic sense - our sense of touch.

We have the olfactory sense - our sense of smell.

We have the auditory sense - our sense of hearing.

So synesthesia can involve all these senses interacting.

We first started to discover this with psychedelia.
    Last edited by Mole; 01-03-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    We have a number of senses not just the visual sense.

We have the proprioceptive sense - our sense of balance and movement, our muscular sense.

We have the tactile sense - our sense of touch.

We have the olfactory sense - our sense of smell.

We have the auditory sense - our sense of hearing.

So synesthesia can involve all these senses interacting.

We first started to discover this with psychedelia.
    Everybody's synesthesia is related to sight and vision only on this thread as mentioned thus far though. I'm sure there are some people with Smell -> Taste and Taste -> Touch (I might even have the latter of that, more research required). I've never used any psychedelics, it's been with me for as long as I can remember.

Some of the more synesthete people actually do experience 3 or more senses mixing at the same time, but it is extremely rare.

I've never used any
    Psychedelia was an artistic movement democratising the senses.

And psychedelics, that is, mind altering drugs, were part of it, but proved to be a dangerous dead end.

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Psychedelia was an artistic movement democratising the senses.

And psychedelics, that is, mind altering drugs, were part of it, but proved to be a dangerous dead end.
    Oh, my mistake. Sorry.

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

I have synesthesia. I do the alphabet and words thing, as well as music. Music has definite color and I can "see" the structure of the notes.

It's caused me embarrassment, actually. When in the 4th grade, my teacher asked the first thing that popped into our minds when he said "lunch", I had to tolerate gales of laughter when I said "Yellow"--cause the word lunch is yellow in my mind. What was I supposed to say?

Now that I've learned to censor my own weird, I consider it a gift. I find it kind of weirder, actually, that others don't have these associations to enrich their lives.

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
    I have synesthesia. I do the alphabet and words thing, as well as music. Music has definite color and I can "see" the structure of the notes.

It's caused me embarrassment, actually. When in the 4th grade, my teacher asked the first thing that popped into our minds when he said "lunch", I had to tolerate gales of laughter when I said "Yellow"--cause the word lunch is yellow in my mind. What was I supposed to say?

Now that I've learned to censor my own weird, I consider it a gift. I find it kind of weirder, actually, that others don't have these associations to enrich their lives.
    Yep, that's happened to me before, but it was before I knew anything about synesthesia. I got a lot of shit one time when me and my childhood friends were talking about the first color that comes to mind when thinking about emotions. They talked about how they saw happiness as yellow and bright and they were utterly shocked when I said that happiness was red to me. I was actually disgusted with how they could think of yellow as happiness because I had associated yellow with sadness (due to the s). I then proceeded to tell them how anger was green and that fear was black, which they still argued with.

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

Yep, that's happened to me before, but it was before I knew anything about synesthesia. I got a lot of shit one time when me and my childhood friends were talking about the first color that comes to mind when thinking about emotions. They talked about how they saw happiness as yellow and bright and they were utterly shocked when I said that happiness was red to me. I was actually disgusted with how they could think of yellow as happiness because I had associated yellow with sadness (due to the s). I then proceeded to tell them how anger was green and that fear was black, which they still argued with.
    It's completely different from the cultural conception!

I don't seem to have synesthesia with emotions--the word has it, so the word sadness is kind of a sulfur color, but I'd still associate the concept with being "blue" I suppose. What a hoot!