User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I always wondered if those who see auras around others were, as far as scientific explanations go, synesthetes.
    The word Synesthesia at it's core just translates to "union"-"sensation". So really, any union between two senses can be described as synesthesia.

It comes in tons of different forms - The one primarily being discussed here is called "Grapheme" in which letters/numbers/words 'have colors'. To my knowledge there are over 60 'types' of synesthesia - some of them occurring in pairs or individually. Grapheme is one of the more common ones. So is seeing colors when you hear sounds/music (For example, John Mayer claims that he experiences colors when he hears music). Sounds can have colors. You can experience colors when you feel particular emotions. Personalities or people can have colors. Flavors can have colors, colors can have flavors. Pain can have colors, pain can have flavors, etc. Basically take any sensation, couple it with a sense such as taste, touch, visual, etc.

Everyone probably has it to some degree. Even if you feel like inanimate objects have personalities - If you 'sense' that your car or you computer has a personality - that's synesthesia.

There's even a bit of 'cultural' synesthesia ingrained in us all. Things like assigning gender to objects or colors. Why is pink feminine and blue masculine to so many people? There's no real logical explanation for us to match a personality to a color, except that our brain has been taught to make that connection. That's sort of a taste of how synesthetes connect things, only they don't have to have it 'taught' to them. Yellow might be playful, green might be rude. It just is. They don't necessarily know why. But it is.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Phantonym View Post
    I am in no way claiming to be a synesthete, but I've always perceived that weekdays feel like close to these colours:

Monday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Friday
    Saturday
    Sunday

I don't get such a strong feeling about letters, numbers, words, months or anything like that.
    For me, it's:

Monday - wine red
    Tuesday - yellow
    Wednesday - medium brown
    Thursday - rust/orange
    Friday - black
    Saturday - yellowish green
    Sunday - royal blue

January - wine red
    February - medium blue
    March - medium brown
    April - rosy red
    May - pale yellow
    June - black
    July - black
    August - cherry red
    September - rust/orange
    October - yellow
    November - brown
    December - royal blue

If I think of letters and numbers individually, they have color, but I don't see them with the color when they are in words.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

I have synesthesia envy, it's so interesting to me! I know a woman who sees colors when she hears music, in addition to seeing color when she reads some things. The whole passage will take on colors for her. When I was in my late 20s, apparently my writing was sometimes hot pink to her, haha.

I actually have a mild form of it in a different way, and it was much stronger when I was a kid. It used to jump out at me, but after years of ignoring it, now I only see it when I deliberately look for it.

Mine is that I see facial expressions in letters and numbers, but also in inanimate objects. This could be a product of Ne, too.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I don't see colors in numbers or letters..

I see music in pictures and colors in my head.. People's voices have colors for me. Colors have tastes and smells, faintly. Patterns of any sort move of their own accord to me, and it seems that lately I've noticed that piles of numbers written out like the placard picture of the alphabet in the OP, certain letters will "pop forward" and others fall back farther on some sort of imaginary 3D plane. A, T, X, Z, O, and D all stick out. B, P, D, J, L, and M all fall back. People's general personalities can be loud or quiet, but the colors I associate with people's personalities are not involuntary, so the coors for people don't count to me.

Synesthesia means two things for someone who wants a run-down of it:
    1. You can't help it.. if you never wanted to see C as the color pink again in your life, you'd still see it that way. "Associating" things with colors and smells isn't a disfunction of the brain, it is a product of it. I relate people to colors, and although my synesthesia sometimes interferes with this, that process isn't the same thing. I say 'disfunction' because technically it is--faulty wiring.. but it doesn't really hurt or hinder the person. The same way a slightly lazy-eyelid doesn't impair sight or other optical motor skills.
    2. One sensory function is connected to another. "seeing" things isn't the only one. Sight can produce sounds, sounds produce tastes, seeing produces the ability to touch or feel, etc.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

^ real synaesthete

sunday
    monday
    tuesday
    wednesday
    thursday
    friday
    saturday

something like that

also apparently my months basically correlate with their gemstones, must have made that association forever ago

january
    february
    march
    april
    may
    june (okay june deviates)
    july (as does july)
    august
    september
    october
    november
    december

Quote Originally Posted by Phantonym View Post
    I am in no way claiming to be a synesthete, but I've always perceived that weekdays feel like close to these colours:

Monday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Friday
    Saturday
    Sunday

I don't get such a strong feeling about letters, numbers, words, months or anything like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Monday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Friday
    Saturday
    Sunday
    Certain days of the week have certain elements. Or actually, that is why the names of the week are named after planets and elements. So in a way, it is synesthesia to begin with.

Sunday-Sun
    Monday-Moon
    Tuesday-Mars-Fire
    Wednesday-Mercury-Water
    Thursday-Jupiter-Wood
    Friday-Venus-Gold/Metal
    Saturday-Saturn-Soil

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Neat synaesthete stuff.
    That's really cool, and kinda beautiful, kyuuei. I'm guessing that you must've taken these experiences for granted initially. When was the first time you articulated these connections to yourself? And when/how did you realize that your experience was different than others?
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    INTP

I used to have color synesthesia when I was younger, but don't anymore. I have always had number form synesthesia, though. I see the numbers 1-100 on a specific "path" in my head that winds around and climbs as the numbers get higher.
    Something Witty

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I used to have color synesthesia when I was younger, but don't anymore. I have always had number form synesthesia, though. I see the numbers 1-100 on a specific "path" in my head that winds around and climbs as the numbers get higher.
    That's exactly what I have. The background is a kind of stormy, very dark orangey red color, and the numbers are white and follow a path like a roller coaster. 1-10 go straight up, and then from then on they curve, with the teens going left, then the rest going slightly up and then off into the distance. So strange.

I don't know if this is synesthesia, but to me letters and numbers have personalities based on their shapes reminding me of facial expressions or body positions. Like, 2 and 4 are wimpy, but 1, 9, M and Z are badass cool. 6 is sunny but naive; 8, R and Y are stoic and dignified.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I don't know if this is synesthesia, but to me letters and numbers have personalities based on their shapes reminding me of facial expressions or body positions. Like, 2 and 4 are wimpy, but 1, 9, M and Z are badass cool. 6 is sunny but naive; 8, R and Y are stoic and dignified.
    Hey, that's the same as mine! Someone told me awhile ago it was a form of it.

It's one of the reasons I like onomatopeia; words like haha and hehe have the same facial expressions as when you laugh like that. (I might expand on this later, hehe.)