User Tag List

Sex, Misery and Common Unhappiness

In Freudian Analysis we lay on the couch. What does this mean?

Well first it frustrates our sexuality, so all that libido flows into the unconscious, and guess what? We talk, we free associate, we reveal our deep unconscious.

We might say we sublimate our libido in the service of the ego.

As we lay on the couch it as though we are half asleep, we are partially paralysed, we have been taken off our feet, we are no longer in total control, and so the unconscious comes out to play.

Here, though, we do the opposite. In the sexuality threads we titillate ourselve and each other. We show no understanding of how to harness the libido for greater understanding.

In fact our sexuality threads reveal misery, where Freudian Analysis can turn misery into common unhappiness.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I, personally, don't think it's good to deny that we are sexual beings. We were created with a sex drive for a reason. that is not to say that we are only sexual beings and nothing else. I think we are also social creatures and have the need to be accepted and loved. and some of us *gasp* have the need to love in return. I believe that experiencing both love and sex with the same person is a most healthy way to go about things, even if it can be a challenge to make that go smoothly.

but I do agree that when people focus on sex alone, it breeds unconscious unhappiness. same is true for just focusing solely on the non-sexual social aspects of human interactions.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I always thought it was symbolic of relaxation, removing defenses, and focusing on the mind over body.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    I always thought it was symbolic of relaxation, removing defenses, and focusing on the mind over body.
    Well yes, that is what I am saying.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Well yes, that is what I am saying.
    Bad habbit of skimming.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    INTP

Well first it frustrates our sexuality, so all that libido flows into the unconscious, and guess what? We talk, we free associate, we reveal our deep unconscious.

We might say we sublimate our libido in the service of the ego.

As we lay on the couch it as though we are half asleep, we are partially paralysed, we have been taken off our feet, we are no longer in total control, and so the unconscious comes out to play.

Here, though, we do the opposite. In the sexuality threads we titillate ourselve and each other. We show no understanding of how to harness the libido for greater understanding.

In fact our sexuality threads reveal misery, where Freudian Analysis can turn misery into common unhappiness.
    We sublimate our wallet in the service of the analyst.