User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Do you think people get more critical when they get older?

Seriously, I wonder about this.

I've heard several of my older relatives and colleagues say that as they've gotten older, they have become more critical and less tolerant about certain things.

Yet I've read that people tend to mellow out as they get older and don't let the little things bother them so much which would seem to contradict the above.

Maybe it just depends on the person?

If you buy into the functional development theory, as one gets older, they start to tap into using their inferior function more. An IxFP would use Te more, which may make them look more outwardly critical.

I sometimes wonder if health issues contribute to the grouchiness seen in some older people. I do know that certain medications can alter behavior, so that could lead to greater irritability. If you're not physically feeling good, it's easier to become more irritable by things. Also, if you feel lack of control over your health, you might start acting more controlling in other aspects of your life to feel that at least something in your life is in control. I know people who have been hospitalized that are like this. They start complaining about seemingly little things that wouldn't have normally bothered them before. Things like the light being too bright, too much ice in the drink, etc.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

There's a lot of reasons why people might become more or less critical. I mean, we even know that when people are suffering chronic pain/discomfort, they tend to be crankier/more irritable. I'm not sure we can generalize based simply on age.

(For me, from a personality perspective, I care less about offending people and I'll talk more directly. simultaneously, though, I'm less picky about things being done a certain way -- I'm more open to a variety of experience because I've seen it doesn't matter as much as I thought it did.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

I don't buy into the functional development theory. I say it depends a lot upon ones initial personality, experiences, levels of stress etc.

MBTI
    FREE

I've seen people who have become less critical over time, and people who have become more critical over time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Totally individual thing.. but I do believe that having your body fail you, losing the people you love, falling behind on information/knowledge, technology, etc. can be an extremely stressful thing. I NEVER disrespect geezers. (Not even the crazy-ass purple hairs that almost push me off the highway daily.)

Then theres the consideration that the longer you live, the more stupid human behaviors you assess.. the more likely you are to recognize patterns, and call it. My great grandfather (a sweet, religious old man) got really weird after 80, and began to do things he'd NEVER do at an earlier age. I'd catch him trying to hit one of my younger cousins with his cane, and I'd have to say "No No Grandpa.. we never hit children, remember?"

I think that old people have to deal with quite a bit of ageism, and nothing pisses me off more than this. It would be an incredibley difficult thing to feel as though you are losing your mind, that you couldn't protect yourself any longer, that you wouldn't be spry enough to know if someone was taking advantage of you.

Yes, I think old people have alot of reason to be crusty old bags.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

people who start to be assholes as they get older start to use their inferior more, but they cant handle it properly. if they start using it, but havent learned to take it into conscious, it gets manifested throught the shadow and mostly negative stuff will come out of it
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i think people become more discerning over time. they figure out things that matter more to them and things that matter less. so in some ways they become more picky and critical, and in others they become more lax.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

critical is the wrong word I think - some people get jaded, some people get terrified of the uncertainty in life and just want things to stop being so chaotic all the time.

I think it's almost impossible to remain completely unaffected by "fear" as you get older. You learn to be more cautious because of missteps, learning experiences, and difficulties.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    SCOEI / Inquisitive

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    i think people become more discerning over time. they figure out things that matter more to them and things that matter less. so in some ways they become more picky and critical, and in others they become more lax.
    I think it's like that.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Some people never get older tho they physically age
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]