• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Agree? Disagree? Or how do you interpret this?

Little_Sticks

"When someone gives advice, I am beneath them. When someone gives help without my appointment, I am an opponent. When someone gives suggestions of which I can pleasantly refuse, I am their friend."

Thoughts? Do you feel it's type related? Find it not to be true? Any other thoughts? I'd like know what you think about this. So say whatever you want.

Little_Sticks

Damn, an hour and no one has bothered to post. I've decided I really suck at making threads. It doesn't matter what forum I do it in.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
maybe it's your wording...idk but are you're saying that if someone gives you advice they think they are better than you? and if they help without your appointment? you mean help without your having to ask? they're your opponent? i don't follow.. :/ why are they that? and friends give each other suggestions rather than advice?

well hmm...no.. i don't feel that way really. i don't like unsolicited advice but it won't piss me off too much if it's helpful and i respect the person...and no i don't consider someone my opponent when they help me with something but i'm quite sure i'm misreading you on that one...do you mean your equal?

i think interaction style is type related but other than that i'm not sure what you mean...i'm sorry your only response was so completely not helpful....maybe clarify a bit?

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Well, what exactly is the difference between advice and suggestions then? Is it just the way the advice/suggestion giver responds if it's refused? Does the helper need to make it clear that s/he realizes s/he may be off base and the listener is free to take it or leave it?

I agree that helping/advising someone can be done with be done with a condescending attitude of "I know better than you and it doesn't matter what you think" or a more humble attitude that realizes you don't know everything and maintains an openness to what the person has to say about your ideas. But I wouldn't say having the more humble attitude means you are not offering advice. If you're recommending a particular course of action to someone, then by definition that is advice.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, what exactly is the difference between advice and suggestions then?.

exactly. and what does "giving help" mean exactly? acting without your knowledge to help you in some way, or what?

Little_Sticks

maybe it's your wording...idk but are you're saying that if someone gives you advice they think they are better than you? and if they help without your appointment? you mean help without your having to ask? they're your opponent? i don't follow.. :/ why are they that? and friends give each other suggestions rather than advice?

well hmm...no.. i don't feel that way really. i don't like unsolicited advice but it won't piss me off too much if it's helpful and i respect the person...and no i don't consider someone my opponent when they help me with something but i'm quite sure i'm misreading you on that one...do you mean your equal?

i think interaction style is type related but other than that i'm not sure what you mean...i'm sorry your only response was so completely not helpful....maybe clarify a bit?

Uhh, first this isn't what I think, but I found it interesting; it posed questions that I had to answer individually and I wanted to see how other do so and what conclusions they have reached themselves. Second, contrary to forum atmosphere (I blame MBTI) not every thread is about someone trying to shove a belief down your throat; this is just a discussion where there's no right interpretation or correctness to what this is supposed to mean and has nothing to do with what I think you should think. Third, where you disagree I want you to come up with your own definitions or understanding of the questions this poses for you. If there's anything I have gotten out of Jungian types is that there are many differing interpretations and perspectives that people have.

What is it and who wrote it?

Technically, I did, but I was synthesizing my thoughts into an idea that I could use to see what our people thought independently (not just simply agreeing or disagreeing) about the subject (or even what they determine the subject to be :D).

Well, what exactly is the difference between advice and suggestions then? Is it just the way the advice/suggestion giver responds if it's refused? Does the helper need to make it clear that s/he realizes s/he may be off base and the listener is free to take it or leave it?

I agree that helping/advising someone can be done with be done with a condescending attitude of "I know better than you and it doesn't matter what you think" or a more humble attitude that realizes you don't know everything and maintains an openness to what the person has to say about your ideas. But I wouldn't say having the more humble attitude means you are not offering advice. If you're recommending a particular course of action to someone, then by definition that is advice.

It's not about agreeing or disagreeing or being right or wrong. This isn't a proposition for what's logically consistent that you refute or not because nothing anyone says as truth relating to another person's behavior or thoughts is going to always universally be the case; if it were, we would all be lifeless rocks. I would love to hear your perspective on what it means and why though.

exactly. and what does "giving help" mean exactly? acting without your knowledge to help you in some way, or what?

Please answer your own questions first before expecting others to; it's rude. I don't care how logically you can decipher a true-false statement based on individually accepted and defined premises. That's for your ego and I'm not interested in that.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
....wtf? ok then.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
It's not about agreeing or disagreeing or being right or wrong. This isn't a proposition for what's logically consistent that you refute or not because nothing anyone says as truth relating to another person's behavior or thoughts is going to always universally be the case; if it were, we would all be lifeless rocks.

:huh:

Please answer your own questions first before expecting others to; it's rude. I don't care how logically you can decipher a true-false statement based on individually accepted and defined premises. That's for your ego and I'm not interested in that.

So you want to know if people find the statement true or not ("Thoughts? Do you feel it's type related? Find it not to be true?"), but it's rude and egotistical to try to define what it is meant by it so we can decide? I see.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As far my understanding of the opening quote:

When someone gives advice, I am beneath them.

If someone is giving advice, it means they think they know more than you enough to give said advice -- they are the teacher, and you are the student. You are "under" them.

When someone gives help without my appointment, I am an opponent.
I'm not sure why you used the word "opponent." It doesn't seem to fit with the first part of the sentence. I can't parse it.

When someone gives suggestions of which I can pleasantly refuse, I am their friend.

If they are merely suggesting, and you have the option to refuse, then you are equals... just like friends are equals.

As for this:

Let's see.

You complained after an hour because no one had responded.

Then people did respond and say they just really had no idea what you were asking. (It's pretty clear they felt bad that no one had responded, and they wanted you to feel included.)

When you finally responded to those comments, you respond rudely to at least one person's asking for clarification.

In that very same post, though, you said to another person, "If there's anything I have gotten out of Jungian types is that there are many differing interpretations and perspectives that people have."

Do you seriously believe that? If so, you need to accept that some types will ask for clarification for good reason, to help and communicate, not for reasons of "ego." At the very least, it won't help you get the sort of interaction you were craving in your second post.

R

RDF

"When someone gives advice, I am beneath them. When someone gives help without my appointment, I am an opponent. When someone gives suggestions of which I can pleasantly refuse, I am their friend."

Thoughts? Do you feel it's type related? Find it not to be true? Any other thoughts? I'd like know what you think about this. So say whatever you want.

The usual self-help books on personal boundaries and “saying no” indicate that one should respect the boundaries between adults when asking/offering assistance. For example, if you indicate that you are having a problem with something, then I shouldn’t tell you what to do or insist on doing the thing for you, because that breaks the boundary between us. Instead, I should tell you how I’ve handled the situation myself in the past (or how I’ve seen others handle the situation), and then I should step aside and let you draw your own conclusions as to whether such a suggestion would work for you, or if it can be adapted for your case, etc.

Something like that.

Anyway, back to your statement. I think you’re trying to slice and dice the subject matter too finely, which is resulting in people asking for clarifications. You’re suggesting that some types of assistance are patronizing, some types of assistance are offensive, and some types of assistance are okay. That may in fact be true, but the more finely you dissect the subject matter, the more people are going to want clarifications. For example, what happens if you intend the assistance as one thing, but the assistance is received as another thing. And so on.

Hence I find that it’s usually better not to dissect these things too finely. That’s *my* suggestion for you. :)

T

ThatGirl

The quote sounds obstinant and a bit insecure.

I'm not sure how that translates to type.

wolfy

awsm

I'm not sure why you used the word "opponent." It doesn't seem to fit with the first part of the sentence. I can't parse it.

I think the word help is an active help. Opponent as in it puts you on the defensive for your need to express yourself through your actions.

I agree with the quote...
Advice as in veiled orders, help as in veiled interference.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I think the quote is a very defeatist attitude. Yes, independence is nice, but advice that aids you should always be welcome at some point and if it doesn't help then you disregard it. No harm, no fowl. If they get irritated at you disregarding their advice, it's their problem not yours.

wolfy

awsm
I just think the wording is a bit off, the gist of it is true.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Uhh, first this isn't what I think, but I found it interesting; it posed questions that I had to answer individually and I wanted to see how other do so and what conclusions they have reached themselves. Second, contrary to forum atmosphere (I blame MBTI) not every thread is about someone trying to shove a belief down your throat; this is just a discussion where there's no right interpretation or correctness to what this is supposed to mean and has nothing to do with what I think you should think. Third, where you disagree I want you to come up with your own definitions or understanding of the questions this poses for you. If there's anything I have gotten out of Jungian types is that there are many differing interpretations and perspectives that people have.

Technically, I did, but I was synthesizing my thoughts into an idea that I could use to see what our people thought independently (not just simply agreeing or disagreeing) about the subject (or even what they determine the subject to be :D).

It's not about agreeing or disagreeing or being right or wrong. This isn't a proposition for what's logically consistent that you refute or not because nothing anyone says as truth relating to another person's behavior or thoughts is going to always universally be the case; if it were, we would all be lifeless rocks. I would love to hear your perspective on what it means and why though.

well. after reading this i definitely don't have any desire to discuss my own thoughts. maybe the reason your threads aren't well-responded to is that you post something and then get pissed when others speak freely about it.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

wow....sometimes people trip me the hell out.