User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

  1. #1
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Imagination and Regression

    We have the remarkable ability to respond to our imaginations in almost the same way we respond to reality.

    We call this the suspension of disbelief and it is the basis of religion, art and science.

    We are not born with the ability to suspend our disbelief, rather we learn it in play as children, as the purpose of play is to learn to distinguish between imagination and reality.

    However the distinction between imagination and reality is a high level distinction, and some remain at a low level of learning, and so they confuse imagination and reality.

    And those who confuse imagination and reality are vulgar. But worse, they are naive and vulgar, and they believe the what they see. And what they see is an impoverished view of life. And far too often they try to force their impoverished view of life onto the rest of us.

    This impoverished view of life often takes the form of literalism. The literal interpretation of the Torah, the Bible, the Koran or the Bagavad Gita, or the literal interpretation of art or poetry or even music.

    So it is the play of children that gives us religion, art and science but so many of us fail to learn the lesson of play and so we regress to literalism in religion, and in particular we regress to the literalism of Islam and the New Age in astrology or MBTI.

    But even children know better, particularly children who are free to play, but children who are abused or controlled, regress.

  2. #2
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    no comprehende.

    only way i could see this making sense is that if your definition for regression varies from the actual definition, but i cant quite figure out what sort of definition are you using for it, care to explain?
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  3. #3
    Senior Member FunnyDigestion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    1,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    But worse, they are naive and vulgar, and they believe the what they see.
    Seems like they're believing what they hear rather than what they see.

    Imagination & reality aren't diametrically opposed; rather, imagination is a way to make sense of reality & better understand what does exist by examining what could possibly exist. When it's used wisely, however, as you said.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

  4. #4
    Senior Member Little_Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Hi Victor. What else do you do when you're not trying to tell everyone how stupid they are?

  5. #5
    The Eighth Colour Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    So it is the play of children that gives us religion, art and science but so many of us fail to learn the lesson of play and so we regress to literalism in religion, and in particular we regress to the literalism of Islam and the New Age in astrology or MBTI.
    Or consipracy theories, as discussed in the "Qualitative Associations with Superior to Genius Level IQ" thread."

    But even children know better, particularly children who are free to play, but children who are abused or controlled, regress.
    What does this imply for adults in our society?

    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    Imagination & reality aren't diametrically opposed; rather, imagination is a way to make sense of reality & better understand what does exist by examining what could possibly exist. When it's used wisely, however, as you said.
    Right, however it is the wise who understand they are filling in the blanks with their imagination. They appreciate the uncertainty of this process. It is the naive who treat their opinion (faith) as undeniable truth.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Little_Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    Right, however it is the wise who understand they are filling in the blanks with their imagination. They appreciate the uncertainty of this process. It is the naive who treat their opinion (faith) as undeniable truth.
    Unless they use their faith to destroy your existence, in which case it becomes undeniable truth because you can't exist to deny it anymore.

  7. #7
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Smile Pure Spirits

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Hi Victor. What else do you do when you're not trying to tell everyone how stupid they are?
    How tempting it is to tell everyone how stupid they are. But when I am not giving into temptation, I am looking into their lambent eyes, reaching out my hand, and floating with them in the nooshpere, riding the electrons at the speed of light. And at such an utimate speed, time is abolished, distance is abolished, and we are pure spirits communing together.

  8. #8
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Regression

    Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    no comprehende.

    only way i could see this making sense is that if your definition for regression varies from the actual definition, but i cant quite figure out what sort of definition are you using for it, care to explain?
    We progress from the womb to childhood, and from childhood to adolescence, and from adolescence to grown up. And so once we have progressed to grown up, we may regress to childhood.

    In psychotherapy it is called, regressing in the service of the ego.

    So we might say there there are two types of regression - unconscious regression and conscious regression. And it is conscious regression that is in the service of the ego, and so in service of analysis, evaluation and integration.

    Unconscious regression is in response to trauma, fear and abuse.

Similar Threads

  1. Imagination and Reality
    By Mole in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2013, 04:46 AM
  2. [ENTP] My thoughts on imagination (and what can go wrong with it)
    By guesswho in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-15-2011, 06:53 PM
  3. If the soul's afterlife is imagination and intellect
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 07:42 AM
  4. Imagination and Reality
    By Mole in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-20-2010, 04:18 PM
  5. Imagination and N/S
    By Tamske in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-29-2009, 01:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO