User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of homeschooling?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 64.00%
  • No

11 22.00%
  • Unopinionated/other (explain)

7 14.00%
123 Last

Oberon

I'm homeschooling. My 9th, 8th, and 7th-graders are all doing the Omnibus curriculum by Veritas Press for literature and history. Yeah, it's a little odd to have three different ages all working at the same level, but the 9th-grader was a little behind when we got him, so it's working out okay. We meet two nights a week for an hour at a stretch, but that will soon be increased somewhat as we've been falling behind. It's time to crank it up a bit.

The worst pain in the neck I get is when my two-year-old wants to come talk to me during class. She's very cute, which kind of makes it worse.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    I'm homeschooling. My 9th, 8th, and 7th-graders are all doing the Omnibus curriculum by Veritas Press for literature and history. Yeah, it's a little odd to have three different ages all working at the same level, but the 9th-grader was a little behind when we got him, so it's working out okay. We meet two nights a week for an hour at a stretch, but that will soon be increased somewhat as we've been falling behind. It's time to crank it up a bit.

The worst pain in the neck I get is when my two-year-old wants to come talk to me during class. She's very cute, which kind of makes it worse.
    Are you part of some kind of homeschooling collective? Are these other people's kids?
    Last edited by Ivy; 09-13-2007 at 10:41 AM. Reason: copied relevant section to the dedicated thread
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Are you part of some kind of homeschooling collective? Are these other people's kids?
    We are members of a homeschool association, which provides for things like P.E. classes and group field trips, but for academic courses each family teaches its own children. The kids I mention above are all part of my household; the younger two are my offspring, the eldest is my nephew.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    We are members of a homeschool association, which provides for things like P.E. classes and group field trips, but for academic courses each family teaches its own children. The kids I mention above are all part of my household; the younger two are my offspring, the eldest is my nephew.
    We've got a pretty thriving homeschooling community here, which will be great for us if we can't find a middle school for Thing 1 that rocks as hard as her elementary school. (Go Go Gadget Charter Schools!) There are cooperatives which are like what you describe above, plus the parents with expertise in a certain area--computers, writing, grammar, history, whatever--hold "seminars" on those topics. They're not exactly classes because, as you say, each family teaches its own children. But I know that if I were homeschooling my daughter, having access to an adult who is better at math than I am would be a great resource. (In our case Noah's great at math, but may or may not be the best choice to transfer that knowledge to a child.)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Oberon

The thing I really like about homeschooling is that the reading list for the older kids for the first year includes:

The Aeneid, the Oddysey, the Epic of Gilgamesh, the Oedipus cycle, Isaiah, Genesis, Herodotus's Histories, C.S. Lewis's Narnia books, Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, Plato, Plutarch, Sophocles, Seutonius's Twelve Caesars, R.C. Sproul, Peter Kreeft's The Best Things in Life, Eagle of the Ninth, and The Screwtape Letters, plus a few things I didn't list.

Because the primary books are in chronological order, the first year contains a lot of early stuff. At the moment we're in year two, and halfway through Eusebius's Church History.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Oberon, I don't know much about the Omnibus curriculum. Is it like the Well Trained Mind materials? I was a bit of a Charlotte Mason nut when my daughter was small and my default option was homeschooling her. (Yes, I was one of those doofuses who was "homeschooling" a 3-year-old. )

Edit: oops, I just remembered this is a blog. I'ma split out our side talk.

Oberon

I was wondering where my posts went...why, here they are!

Edit:

I'm not familiar with the Well-Trained Mind content, except that I understand that it's a classical education curriculum. In that respect, it and Omnibus are alike.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm getting lazy- ordinarily I post links in both the old and the new thread when I split stuff out. Sorry.

Posts above split from Eileen's blog.

Default Homeschooling: yes or no?

Do you support homeschooling?

Why or why not?

Extra:
    If you attended a standard school, have you ever wished that you were home-schooled? Why so?
    If you were homeschooled , did you ever wish that you attended a school like most people?
    Also, for those who have been homeschooled during some part of their life, what were the reasons as to why you were homeschooled?
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Threads merged.