User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of homeschooling?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 64.00%
  • No

11 22.00%
  • Unopinionated/other (explain)

7 14.00%
First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    This is one of the things that bugs me most in this debate. Homeschooling != being sheltered from your peers.
    But like I said earlier, it can and does happen, and that's the thing. I'd be fine with homeschooling if this were something which were government regulated (making sure that kids aren't being sheltered from peers), but unless new laws have been made since I was homeschooled, it's not even checked on. I know this isn't the case with you or your homeschooling community, and maybe it's in the minority of cases, but the fact remains that it can happen incredibly easily.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    But like I said earlier, it can and does happen, and that's the thing. I'd be fine with homeschooling if this were something which were government regulated (making sure that kids aren't being sheltered from peers), but unless new laws have been made since I was homeschooled, it's not even checked on. I know this isn't the case with you or your homeschooling community, and maybe it's in the minority of cases, but the fact remains that it can happen incredibly easily.
    I'm not in favor of more government oversight because the government isn't exactly doing a bang-up job of operating the schools that are under its direct control.

Yes, it happens. Probably a lot. But kids also fall through the cracks in public schools, which can happen incredibly easily, too. No method of educating children is perfectly applied across all cases.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

What about this school?
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

OH, my God. I read about that yesterday on Fark. WTF!

My daughter's in 3rd grade. I can't even imagine.

MBTI
    infp

Don't kids have the right to be isolated from their peers if they or their parents chose?

But I do kind of have a semi-serious semi-point... we can't make people do soemthing with their education or... with anything just because we think its a better idea. Unless they are actually hurting someone, it's their business if they want to isolate their kids from their peers, not ours. Its really, really stupid, but it's their call.

All the homeschooled kids I know are still regularly socialized through church groups, neighborhood kids, sports teams, jobs, ect, anyway.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

So, we've got three homeschooled people in this thread (plus one other I know that hasn't posted in this thread), and people that are homeschooling their children... Interesting. I'm extremely surprised by the numbers I'm seeing, because I didn't think it was quite this common.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I wanted to add something to my last post but it seemed too late to edit.

I said that no method of education is perfectly applied across all cases. And I want to further remark that this is why parents have to consider the needs of their specific child when they make educational decisions. THAT is what I am most grateful to my parents for- they responded to me and my needs, fitting my education to me rather than trying to fit me to a prescribed mode of education. My mother wasn't a "Homeschool or bust" parent- I was in public, private, and homeschool at different times depending on what was available and what I needed.

The same is true of my siblings. My older brother is the only one who went all the way through public school, and HE dropped out at 16 and got a GED with my parents' blessing. He ended up joining the Navy, then getting some technical certifications, and he's now a very successful IT manager. My younger sister was homeschooled until 5th grade, then private school until 8th, and she wanted to go to public high school. She graduated 2nd in her class and went on to college, and now she has a job she loves at a technical training firm. My younger brother was in homeschool until he decided to try public school in 8th grade. He ended up staying in public and graduating, but he wasn't ready to go to college then. So now he is working and saving money to go to college. My youngest sister was homeschooled until she went to a charter school for 3rd grade, but it only went to 3rd so she was homeschooled again for 4th and 5th I think. Then she went to another charter for middle school and she's in public high school now. She is a VERY talented pianist and my parents are looking into a special art school for her last two years of high school, but it has strict rules about who can be a day student and they don't want her living at the boarding school.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I decided to home school our son for the time being because his nerves simply couldn't handle being in a classroom full of kids for 7 hours. He was wrecked each day he came home with a note in his folder saying he had a bad day practically every day. I just couldn't take it anymore and seeing him so unhappy was very depressing for me. I started taking anti depressant in hopes that it would all magically get better and go away but it didn't. I knew I need a new plan.

I am no longer taking antidepressants, I also gave up caffeine and I am working with our son in hopes of helping him have a bright, happy future. Seeing all of my children happy makes me very happy so I'll do whatever I can to ensure that.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    What about this school?
    im going to go out on a limb here and say this is the sort of thing children should be exposed to. perhaps not to such an extent, regardless, the controlled confines of home and family are not a good example of the wide variety of things and people that children will run into in the outside world, making the confines of home and family an inadequate venue of preparation for adulthood. i feel it is the responsibility of parents to prepare their children for the "real world", and, in that regard, schooling outside of the home is a far more immersive example of reality. whether i can personally oversee little billy doing his math homework comes secondary to this parental objective.

there is simply no intention of homeschooling that isn't "sheltering" in some way because the point of it is to remedy something.

MBTI
    yupp

I wish my mom had done that or at least done something beyond "Oh I'm sorry" when I cried every night after school when asked about my day at school from about 1st-3rd grade I finally switched schools in 5th, though I did manage to make friends in 4th grade . Maybe this is why I hate school and people and don't tell anyone most of my problems.

(I don't hate my mom, I just think she could have realized that saying "I'm sorry" was not doing any good.And listen to her daughter which she still hasn't learned how to or only hears what she wants. Just thinking about those 3 years is enough to think twice about calling my mom and talking to her as I would probably just yell at her then I'd feel guilty about that)
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so