User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of homeschooling?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 64.00%
  • No

11 22.00%
  • Unopinionated/other (explain)

7 14.00%
First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by mooky View Post
    I think small classes are a must, they have restricted infant class sizes here to 30 to a teacher.

But I think 30, 4 an 5 year olds to one teacher is way to high.

THIRTY! infants to ONE teacher!?

Surely you are mistaken. There is no way that one or even two people could care for that many infants in one setting. My best friend is a preschool teacher and I think he had eight in his room.

Thirty kids is way too many no matter what the age, though. You can't give the individual kids what they need if you're up to your ears in 'em.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    THIRTY! infants to ONE teacher!?

Surely you are mistaken. There is no way that one or even two people could care for that many infants in one setting. My best friend is a preschool teacher and I think he had eight in his room.

Thirty kids is way too many no matter what the age, though. You can't give the individual kids what they need if you're up to your ears in 'em.
    Aren't you a teacher?
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by GlitteringGlamourpuss View Post
    Aren't you a teacher?
    That I am.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INXP

I went through my whole school career with that sort of ratio. Far as I can remember, even at age 4 or 5.

Highest was probably about 40-45. Meant the teacher had to be quite restrictive with teaching types (this would be high streamed science stuff eg advanced maths)

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    That I am.
    What are your thoughts on homeschooling?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

What are your thoughts on homeschooling?
    Like cafe, I think people should have options about how to educate their children, and not all children NEED the same things in a learning environment. I also tend to think that parents often have more influence on what a child gets out of their education than teachers do anyway. Learning isn't something that should just happen under a teacher's eye at school, and if parents aren't taking an active role in their children's educations (stressing importance, having regular conversations about it, providing a space for homework to happen, encouraging intellectual interests, etc), then a lot of my efforts are wasted.

For the most part, regardless of the route you choose for education, you get the education that you take. I object to the notion that teachers are pouring information into students' brains. This notion is perpetuated by high-stakes testing situations and lots of other things, probably, and the public school system's accidental dissemination of this notion is probably the worst thing it does. If a child does not actively engage and inquire, what he learns will be minimal at best. That will be the case REGARDLESS of the system through which he gets his education.

It's really tough. I believe what I say about the importance of parent involvement, but I teach kids in the lower SES whose parents work a couple of jobs and are never around. These families really don't have the luxury of educational options and it's hard for the parents to provide the domestic structure necessary for maximizing any kind of education.
    INFJ

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I went through my whole school career with that sort of ratio. Far as I can remember, even at age 4 or 5.

Highest was probably about 40-45. Meant the teacher had to be quite restrictive with teaching types (this would be high streamed science stuff eg advanced maths)

My class sizes tend to be around 20 kids--often fewer. We're supposed to be capped at 32. I know of large classes, but they never get that big. I wouldn't be able to fit that many kids in my room. What a nightmare.
    INFJ

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

I don't endorse homeschooling, in the ideal world I don't think anyone should be homeschooled. But, I think the child and their parents should be able to have the choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by faith View Post
    When I was in school, I used to wish my mom would homeschool me.

Socialization? Plenty of better ways to socialize than in school--all that wasted time with half-hearted chit-chat and notes back and forth in class because you're so bored your brain is about to burst. Silly immature games of gossip and who-hates-whom that have no significance outside of the strange subculture of jr. high and high school.

Learning? I would have learned much more if I could have been left alone to read the books myself. Teachers trying to jerk your thoughts around this way and that, not enough time to let the details sink in and thoroughly explore a real idea because half the class has the attention span of an excited gnat (to steal Lee's metaphor). Long after I graduated, when I learned that ISS was really just the opportunity to sit alone and read and write all day (what heaven!), I became rather bitter about the fact that the "bad" students got the good school and the "good" students had to keep going to the crap classes full of distracting other students who won't shut up.

I'd considered that maybe all those ideas were the product of my angsty teenage brain and perhaps public school is much better than I'd imagined. After teaching 10th and 11th grade English for 8 months, I'm convinced I was right after all. It's very very difficult to teach a prescribed curriculum to a room full of 30 different abilities, interests, and motivations. I don't see how it can possibly be ideal either for the more advanced students or for the ones who fall behind.

Unless my children (if I have any) turn out to be very opposed to the idea, I think they'd benefit more from homeschooling than from being run through the public school system.
    Thank you. I love everything that you've said here.

I have another question. Why do teachers give homework? Do teachers expect the parents to help with homework? I ask because our daughters teacher last year preferred that I didn't help. She said it was "her" homework not mine. This year her teacher is sending homework home for the entire family to complete.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Thank you. I love everything that you've said here.

I have another question. Why do teachers give homework? Do teachers expect the parents to help with homework? I ask because our daughters teacher last year preferred that I didn't help. She said it was "her" homework not mine. This year her teacher is sending homework home for the entire family to complete.

Homework should be practice on concepts learned in class. It should be (in my opinion) completed by the student, though I don't see anything wrong with a parent tutoring his or her own child. I'm not sure about this homework for the family business. That seems pretty unreasonable to me.

Homework also needs to be really relevant. If it isn't reinforcing real skills (I've heard of some real bullshit being assigned, especially for younger kids), I don't see the point.
    INFJ