User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of homeschooling?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 64.00%
  • No

11 22.00%
  • Unopinionated/other (explain)

7 14.00%
First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I hear ya mooky. Have you looked into K12? They offer international classes as well for over the pond peeps such as yourself.

I will be starting this soon with our 6 year old son. I am waiting to hear back from his 1st grade teacher as to whether or not she will give us his books to finish off this year since I am taking him out early.

Mooky we are on a year round schedule since my 8 year old is still attending school and that is their schedule. I also happen to love it. They go to school for 9 weeks and then have three off instead of attending for 9-10 months and having the whole summer off.
    So your schools are suportive of yr desire to homeschool? Cos I get looked at like im a weirdo for not sending mine to nursery! I have managed to get mine 2 (the 2 that go to school) into one of the better schools in our area, but still............

Will read through k12 when i get a bit of time, the babys poorly, so the house is a dump.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by mooky View Post
    So your schools are suportive of yr desire to homeschool? Cos I get looked at like im a weirdo for not sending mine to nursery! I have managed to get mine 2 (the 2 that go to school) into one of the better schools in our area, but still............

Will read through k12 when i get a bit of time, the babys poorly, so the house is a dump.
    I'm not sure I understand your first question. When you home school, it's pretty much your schedule. Since my oldest daughter will still be in year round public school I am keeping our home schooled son on the same schedule. I also realize (having a Limey Husband) that schools in the UK are supposedly better than here in the US. I think the whole damn world is heading down the crapper so I'm not sure if he's right about the education system being superior in Britain. Maybe you can shed some light for us on schools in the UK.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

Oberon

The "socialization question"... [rolls eyes]

I remember public school. It's why Lord of the Flies resonated so much for me.

In all of recorded history extending back to the earliest of oral traditions, the overwhelming rule was that primary education of children was done by parents. The last century and a half is the exception, not the rule, and I am by no means certain that the innovation of public schooling was an improvement except from the point of view of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Sas we're not homeschooling for religious reasons. I think more and more non religious folks are homeschooling because the education system just ain't working. Maybe we need to consider paying teachers more!
    My experience with public schooling is that the kids are distracted, disruptive and disinterested. The don't care, they don't want to be there and no amount of effort on the teacher's part could change their behavior. I don't know how much teachers earn, they probably need to be paid better but I doubt it would have any effect on the academic situation.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I'm homeschooling. My 9th, 8th, and 7th-graders are all doing the Omnibus curriculum by Veritas Press for literature and history. Yeah, it's a little odd to have three different ages all working at the same level, but the 9th-grader was a little behind when we got him, so it's working out okay. We meet two nights a week for an hour at a stretch, but that will soon be increased somewhat as we've been falling behind. It's time to crank it up a bit.

The worst pain in the neck I get is when my two-year-old wants to come talk to me during class. She's very cute, which kind of makes it worse.
    It's long been a fact that a private tutor is superior to a public school.
    Keep up the good work!

MBTI
    INTP

We are currently homeschooling our children but I don't believe in it. Kidding. For us, it was more of a temporary solution. My oldest son wasn't mature enough to start school but he was ready to learn. I was amazed at the homeschooling resources that are out there plus I found that I live in a pretty good state (NC) that supports it.

My background is I started in a private school that had a starting class of around 40 kids in kindergarten and had a graduating class of around 10. I left in the 7th grade and went to various public schools. My first years in public school were the worst of my life but I am not sure if it was attributed to just that period of time (awkward age) or the school itself.

I bowed to family pressure and sent my eldest son to nursery for socialization, and it turned my lovely 3 year old in to a monster that if i didnt know better, i really would have thought had ADHD.

It wouldnt have been so bad if schools in my area wheren't somewhere you dumped yr brats so you can have 5 minutes to yrself.

I dont see why people feel that home schooled childeren lack socialization, because school isn't socialization, its Lord of the flies! The biggest bully wins.

But they are trying to better schools here in the UK, with tough ainty bullying campains, but still its a problem. Teacher turn a blind eye to most of it, well untill a parent goes in and complains; but they will happily lie to you in an effort not to get the school a bad name for bullying.

I think if you a dedicated parent then homeschooling would work much better.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by BryNTP View Post
    My background is I started in a private school that had a starting class of around 40 kids in kindergarten and had a graduating class of around 10. I left in the 7th grade and went to various public schools. My first years in public school were the worst of my life but I am not sure if it was attributed to just that period of time (awkward age) or the school itself.
    That's backwards of what I did. I went to public K-8 and private 9-12 (except for half of my Junior year). Public wasn't horrible. (Well, sixth grade I was bused to a school with what seemed like rich kids when I was poor. The teacher was great, but the kids were like piranhas. That was kind of horrible.) I was nervous about going to the private school, but I loved it, probably mostly because it was small. There were fifteen kids in my graduating class.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    but I loved it, probably mostly because it was small. There were fifteen kids in my graduating class.
    I think small classes are a must, they have restricted infant class sizes here to 30 to a teacher.

But I think 30, 4 an 5 year olds to one teacher is way to high.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsassymolassy View Post
    I was homeschooled K-7 and I'm somewhat in favor of it so long as religious homeschooling is not allowed.
    I will say that I favor some type of regulation in homeschooling like yearly exams. I know this is regarded as the downfall to US education but some type of benchmark is necessary but I am not sold on what that would be. Maybe instead of just standardized tests, the option for an interview with the child and a representative voted on by a homeschooling association? I dunno. I am speaking out of ignorance because I am not 100% sure what the regulations are here (my son is still too young to have to worry about it yet). I was just freaked out when I went to one clinic by an association and a mother stood up and said she had no curriculum and just let God show her the way.