User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Default people who compartmentalize relationships and their life

never allowing anything to mix, why do people do this?

I don't understand how people DON'T do this. Different strokes, I guess.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Personally I wouldn't be able to speak my mind on TC if this was connected to my real life.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I don't understand how people DON'T do this. Different strokes, I guess.
    I met someone that mentioned that they dont allow their girlfriends to meet their family,friends and visit them at work. everything does not mix.

I personally am ok with everyone in my life meeting each other, if they dont get along. so what. I can`t see it as an issue. just a little confused is all. just a little curious as to what is to be gained from this?

it kinda seems like a big RED Flag on the person

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    I met someone that mentioned that they dont allow their girlfriends to meet their family,friends and visit them at work. everything does not mix.
    You mean...until the gf becomes the wife?

Or until after she bears their first child?

What are markers, man???
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    XXFP

i keep people away from my family, it tends to get weird.

i gain the piece of mind that there isn't stuff going on behind my back, i have one less set of variables to track, and i reduce my chances of having to deal with more situations i don't want to deal with.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    You mean...until the gf becomes the wife?

Or until after she bears their first child?

What are markers, man???

until the gf has been with the guy for 6 to 10 months

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    i keep people away from my family, it tends to get weird.

i gain the piece of mind that there isn't stuff going on behind my back, i have one less set of variables to track, and i reduce my chances of having to deal with more situations i don't want to deal with.
    so is it more protecting you? or protecting your family?

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

I agree, I think it's a bit strange. I can see things like not partying with co-workers for business purposes.. not having a gf/bf meet family until you've got a good take on them, and not letting someone your dating meet your kids from a previous relation, until it gets serious. But continually keeping a seperation is bizarre. The only reason (that I can think of) for someone to do this is because they portray many different aspects of themselves to different people.. and wouldn't know how to be around all of them. And ya, that is a pretty big flag to me. Who the hell are they really?
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I keep friends apart if I don't think they will get along. Sometimes I don't want one friend to know I hang out with people that have the characteristics, attitude, interests, morals, or beliefs of the other. It's a privacy matter. I think that sometimes one friend wouldn't understand my needs, or accept my actions, and I don't want to lose the friendship. There are some uptight people out there lol.....
    Also,
    Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    The only reason (that I can think of) for someone to do this is because they portray many different aspects of themselves to different people..
    Yes....this is actually it, sortof.
    I have two friends I grew up with who are Christians, enjoy going to church, have toddlers, marriages, homes, etc. They know I am not a Christian, but I don't tell them all the details of my past, and they don't want to know them. I also have friends who aren't married, like to go to concerts, drink like fish, and engage in frequent one-night stands. I don't think either set of friends would "get-on" with the other set, but I like both sets of friends and choose to have them. They belong to different circles, and neither would be interested in knowing the other. So it's more about what they want than what I want when I choose to compartmentalize and leave out the details.

Also, sometimes, I simply don't bother to introduce buddies to other buddies. The relationships don't become close enough to bother (for ex/, if I only see someone one night a week, in dance class).

I enjoy intimate relationships, not necessarily interaction in social groups, so it doesn't serve my interests to introduce them anyway.
    I keep friends away from my family as well. I just don't bother to go through the niceties of introducing them. It doesn't make any difference to either party.
    I also think that sometimes, on occasion, I get really selfish and want to keep them all to myself.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype