User Tag List

First 123 Last

Step into my office. Luv Deluxe's Avatar
    MBTI
    NiSe
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

Elementary school messed with me long before I made it to high school. I was an unusual kid who spent much of my time reading and daydreaming. There weren't any other children like me in elementary school because the student body, although it spanned several grades, was very small. And kids of a certain age tend to pick on things they don't understand. Relentlessly. By the time I got to high school, the feeling of hatred was mutual.

I'd say there were more factors at play besides my introversion, though. I just had different interests and was accelerated a few grades in certain classes, which marked me as an oddball. Many people, and kids especially, dislike or distance themselves from that which they don't understand or aren't familiar with. Familiarity = comfort.

Time helps, a little. I like what Saturned says about the beauty of growing older!

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I don't think I was ever hated. I don't think bullying is about hating people, really.
    I'm sure these kids had no real concept of introversion. And I agree that bullying isn't necessarily about hating people. So perhaps Victor was bullied for being different.

My brother told me that he had the urge to beat up other kids just because of their looks. I asked him what it was he hated about their looks and he said, "I don't know."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I was hated in high school and it had a big effect on me and I wondered what was wrong with me. But as time passed I realised it was because I was introverted.
    I think it's because others may have perceived you as "different", not because you're introverted.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by AntiheroComplex View Post
    Elementary school messed with me long before I made it to high school. I was an unusual kid who spent much of my time reading and daydreaming. There weren't any other children like me in elementary school because the student body, although it spanned several grades, was very small. And kids of a certain age tend to pick on things they don't understand. Relentlessly. By the time I got to high school, the feeling of hatred was mutual.

I'd say there were more factors at play besides my introversion, though. I just had different interests and was accelerated a few grades in certain classes, which marked me as an oddball. Many people, and kids especially, dislike or distance themselves from that which they don't understand or aren't familiar with. Familiarity = comfort.

Time helps, a little. I like what Saturned says about the beauty of growing older!
    Yeah my hardest years were actually 5th - first half of 7th grade, for similiar reasons, also because I read a lot and daydreamed a bunch, so was socially awkward at that age. It had something to do with moving, too. I lived in WV up until summber before 5th grade, where I had a group of girl friends that I had slumber parties with and hung out with at school, plus a few male friends, I wasn't having such a hard time, but then when we moved I felt like I didn't fit in at all, like I was totally weird. I transferred to a different school between 1st and 2nd semester of 7th grade and suddenly had friends again.

Default the edge of 12

i was always a quiet child. but i was sunny and always very, very excitable. though my parents mostly left me alone as a child, i was very good at entertaining myself.

but towards the end of 6th grade, there was something that triggered a series of events. my family used that something so i could be their physical and emotional scapegoat, for their unresolved anxieties.
    while blaming it all on my over-sensitive, introverted personality.

and ever since then i've been physically and emotionally stunted at the edge of 12.

but i just tell everyone i've found the fountain to everlasting youth, just like in tuck everlasting.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Are you sure it wasn't just your stop?
    Actually it was my graduation. Most graduations have flowing gowns, ritual, a keynote speaker and proud parents. My graduation had a schizophrenic old man who could see into my heart and gave me his blessing.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I don't think I was ever hated. I don't think bullying is about hating people, really.
    Being hated for me was a wake up call. It was a decided slap in the face. So I went on a quest to find out why. I attended an encounter group, a laingian group, a reichian group and a gestalt group and personal psychotherapy. I joined the sailing club, the poetry club, the Chinese Student's society, the Australasian Union of Jewish Students, the Students' Union and the Residents' Association. But what made the difference was honouring my inner life and learning to express it in everyday life.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I'm hard pressed to think that introverts are hated. I think it's more like introverts are often ignored or overlooked. As they say, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Step into my office. Luv Deluxe's Avatar
    MBTI
    NiSe
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lien View Post
    i was always a quiet child. but i was sunny and always very, very excitable. though my parents mostly left me alone as a child, i was very good at entertaining myself.

but towards the end of 6th grade, there was something that triggered a series of events. my family used that something so i could be their physical and emotional scapegoat, for their unresolved anxieties.

and ever since then i've been physically and emotionally stunted at the edge of 12.
    That sounds familiar. Something similar happened to me. I spent my childhood essentially feeling invalidated and blamed for my own sensitivity, to the point where I developed a defense mechanism apparently called "splitting." It's essentially being emotionally stunted as a kid, so that you never quite grow out of the polarized way children view and process the world. Makes for absolute hell in personal relationships, but I haven't quite figured out how to manage it yet.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lien View Post

but i just tell everyone i've found the fountain to everlasting youth, just like in tuck everlasting.

ai-lien or aileen.
    Dear Lien, are you able to find someone to talk to? If you are highly excitable, it may mean you are gifted. So perhaps talking to a counsellor and perhaps having your IQ measured may be a way to go.

You are plainly a person of delightful sensitivity with much to offer the world.

Victor.