First 456

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    All i know is that some days it's all i can do to get out of bed. I dont want to die, but i dont see the point in living. Why do anything if fundamentally you cant find any reason for it? Why bother when you are simply a hollow shell of who you used to be, and cant even find the point or reason to get that person back?
    yeah. shitty, shitty, shitty feeling. like life is drained of color.

i actually pulled myself out of minor depression sort of accidentally by getting to the point of realizing i completely didn't give a shit what i did, so i might as well do anything, so i might as well at least please other people if i can't please myself. so i started doing things... and eventually started caring again, little by little. i'm still not completely back, but it's better. i feel like i got lucky, accidentally pulling myself out of that hole.

but it was weird, when i was there. i felt disconnected from the world. like everything was zooming on by me and i was just lost. i thought about death some. like, hey, i wonder what's over the border. i wouldn't call it suicidal, even though technically i suppose it would be, but it was just like death was on par with all other possibilities. like it was just another option, not something totally taboo.

We can't understand Clinical Depression anymore than we can understand Schizophrenia.

But we do understand that although the thoughts of schizophrenics are out of touch with reality, their emotions remain in touch with reality.

And conversely, we understand that although the emotiions of the clinically depressed are out of touch with reality, their thoughts remain in touch with reality.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I don't think anyone truly understands what anyone else feels or is going through. Sure we all try to relate so that person doesn't feel alone, but in the end we all are in our own shoes. Whenever someone is coming to me about how they feel, I listen and I always say. "I can't say I know how hard this is for you, but in my life I went through this and it was hard. So I can only imagine what you're going through, and I feel for you". Usually that doesn't make people feel as alienated. I myself HAVE had a pretty hard life up until a year ago and I would say the most alienating things I heard were, " I know how you feel" coming from people who had NO idea what I went through, or have not gone through anything the extent I did. "I'm sorry", or they completely minimized my life :| So I try really hard to treat others as I want to be treated

Empathy and Sympathy

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Jelly View Post
    I don't think anyone truly understands what anyone else feels or is going through.
    The whole point of empathy is not to feel what you are going through but to show we understand what you are experiencing.

Whereas the whole point of sympathy is to feel the same as.

Sympathy is natural but empathy is uniquely helpful.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And conversely, we understand that although the emotiions of the clinically depressed are out of touch with reality, their thoughts remain in touch with reality.
    Given the premise of CBT and other therapies, I think that is a minority view...