• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How much of strength/skill is mental??

mysavior

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IT
In the right corner you have Bruce Lee, the martial arts legend, and in the left corner you have MySavior.

God puts his hand down from heaven, and decides Bruce Lee will manifest in MySavior's body, and MySavior gets to live life in Bruce Lee's body.

Does MySavior now have the ability to do the trademarked 1 inch punch? Is MySavior, the out skinny and out of shape introvert now have energy, charisma, and the ability to jump 6 feet in the air?

My question is, at the end of the day, how many skills/abilities are there that actually require physical effort to attain?

If Bruce Lee in MySavior's body can still do everything Bruce Lee in Bruce Lee's body can do, then why can't MySavior acquire knowledge/skill like Neo does in the Matrix?

Is there any real limit here. Or is it just make believe made a reality by folks who have had to work hard to get somewhere?

Why shouldn't I be able to will my body to do something, like regenerate a limb, or grow thick and strong muscle fibers? I'm not understanding why limits exist?

Food is abundant. Energy sources are abundant. Why is there a limit?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Ability = Talent * Knowledge * Practice

Talent => Body
Knowledge => Mind
Practice => muscle memory => Mind + Body

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
My question is, at the end of the day, how many skills/abilities are there that actually require physical effort to attain?

It's both. I do Kung Fu but nowhere near Bruce Lee's level. Three or four months from blackbelt, but that is considered beginner.

You would have to condition muscles, bones, joints and mind. If you want fast hands for example, you need to develop fast twitch type 2 muscle fiber with a lot of fast explosive moves.

It you use more weight and control the movement, you develop more bulky slow twitch type 1 muscle.

Other the other hand, how do you think someone improves their game of tennis or golf? Is it with their arms or legs? Nope. People do these things with the mind.

mysavior

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IT
Those twitch fibers.. why shouldn't I be able to will them to develop?

Strong muscles: why shouldn't I be able to have my muscles develop with an enormous amount of strength?

You are telling me that Bruce Lee in my body wouldn't be on the same level as Bruce Lee in Bruce Lee's body?

There is also this "genetic predisposition" explanation that gets tossed around alot. Some are born with the "natural" ability to develop large and strong muscles. Some are born with astounding "intellect." Others aren't. Why shouldn't those without one or both be able to will the change?

What is the limit, and why is it there? Is there a limit?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
According to my understanding of things...

Strength is physical, skill is mental.

Bruce Lee would still know how to do those moves, but wouldn't be able to do them nearly as effectively because of a lack of strength. You would have the brute strength and conditioning, but not the skill to use it properly.

You can't simply will things into existence because our minds can't manipulate matter and energy directly. I suppose if you work towards something that is possible, then it will develop over time, but you can't "will" things into existence like people in those weird movies. Well, maybe some people can, but I've never met one. If you are one of them, then you're very lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you look at it) and can probably do what ever you want.

We can't learn things like people on "The Matrix" because we don't have the technology to manipulate/accelerate brain patterns in such a way as to insert knowledge/skill in a standardized way, or even know if that's possible. We would save a lot of money on teachers/schools if they did.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
Those twitch fibers.. why shouldn't I be able to will them to develop?

You can will them to develop. All you need do is will your body to move, forcing it to do thousands of punches/kicks/pushups/whatever and, over time, your muscles will develop. It takes time because you're finite, and that which is finite must grow incrementally.

Strong muscles: why shouldn't I be able to have my muscles develop with an enormous amount of strength?

same as above, but w/ different exercises.

You are telling me that Bruce Lee in my body wouldn't be on the same level as Bruce Lee in Bruce Lee's body?

He'd have to wip your body into shape.

There is also this "genetic predisposition" explanation that gets tossed around alot. Some are born with the "natural" ability to develop large and strong muscles. Some are born with astounding "intellect." Others aren't. Why shouldn't those without one or both be able to will the change?

Humans don't have infinite power. I hate to break it to you, but you aren't God. You didn't create yourself; therefore, you don't get to define what you are.

What is the limit, and why is it there? Is there a limit?

All finite things are limited by definition. Human beings are a mind/body unity that is potentially infinite in both power and understanding. But you'll have to clear all your negative thetans in order to unlock your potential.

(not really)

Being finite doesn't mean you'll necessarily grow in these things though; it means that you can change in the degree in which you have a property; you may just grow in weakness and misunderstanding.

I don't want a war and peace length post, so I'll hang back for before jumping into deeper waters.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think that the answer depends on whether God simply tranplaced your two cerebrums, or if he also changed cerebellums and possibly other parts of the nervous system. Motor skills are more dependent on the cerebellum than cerebrum, while a person's mind is mostly synonymous with their cerebrum.